PDA

View Full Version : My IBS Feels Like Menstrual Cramps, Anyone Else?

sue404
11-17-2016, 07:32 PM
I am going through a hard time lately and have had diarrhea and cramps. The cramps are sometimes worse after the bowel movement. I am seeing a doctor next week. I have had a hysterectomy so I know this pain is not gynecological.

I have had IBS most of my life but the pain would come and go. For the few days, it's pretty much there all day. It feels like mild menstrual cramps because it is so low down. It is not my bladder, there is no infection.

I would like to hear from others who feel it this way and from anyone who also has pain AFTER a bowel movement. I am hoping there is nothing wrong besides IBS but would be greatly reassured to hear that others here have this the of pain.

STLouisgal
11-18-2016, 07:34 AM
I've had bowel problems ever since my hysterectomy 10 years ago. Diarrhea was pretty severe for close to a year post-op. I still have loose bowels but frequency is no longer an issue. I tend to have abdominal pain when my bladder and bowel are full which usually happens in the morning but thankfully not too often! But mine doesn't feel like cramps.

The uterus is a sort of anchor for the bladder and bowel so hysterectomy causes them to shift which can cause problems in the short and/or long-term. This shifting as well as the formation of adhesions (which almost always form after pelvic surgery) can cause problems including bowel obstruction. How long ago was your hysterectomy?

sue404
11-18-2016, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the reply. The hysterectomy was three years ago and I have had no problems with bowel issues. During the surgery, there was no problem with the bowels that she could see. I am careful about not getting a bowel obstruction although I know it can happen, so far nothing like that. I get sonograms, exams and occasional scans due to the condition that led to the hysterectomy.

My GI dr. told me to take Citrucel so I am starting that, I'll see if it helps. I also take 2 probiotics. I am seeing the dr. next week and hope he can come up with something else.

STLouisgal
11-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Do you have endometriosis? That can cause cramping pain even after hysterectomy. Of course, I'm sure many other conditions can too but that's one that comes to mind.

I wish you the best in getting answers and treatment! Please post back with any findings.

Kylie900
11-23-2016, 09:28 AM
I also get a period like cramp and spoke to the Dr about it. I had tests done and everything was normal. I think a period like cramp is a symptom of IBS. I usually have a water bottle wen this happens. I've also had an endoscopy and colonoscopy and all was normal. I used to find it quite worrying as because I have IBS I couldn't tell if anything else was wrong. Now as long as my symptoms don't get worse I don't worry.