PDA

View Full Version : Luvox/Fluvoxamine Testimonials?

JasonM623
12-11-2016, 02:24 PM
I've read a few posts on here catered to starting out on Luvox, but I have a couple of unanswered questions as far as I've seen.

I'll begin by saying my name is Jason, I'm 24, and I've had OCD/Emetophobia for upwards of 15 years. I now am in a bout of agoraphobia, having been entirely housebound for about 8 months, though within the last month with the aid of Propranolol I've managed to drive myself a few places! Big victory there. However, I currently also take 2mg of Ativan 2x daily and my (and my doctor's) goal is to get me weaning down the Ativan, as it's less often prescribed as a long term drug. I've been on it since July, and it's about time to work on finding alternatives.

That being said, my obsessive thinking revolves around the emetophobia (fear of being sick), and general health problems. My doctor and her psychiatrist colleague both are strongly urging that Luvox is the first route of treatment that they really want me to try out, but I fear the side effects. I also fear the potential of it not working. Strangely enough, I also worry about what I'll think about when I'm on it. I haven't really had thoughts that weren't obsessive, ever. I don't know what I'd replace all that "headspace" with. It's an odd predicament.

Anyway, the cut and dry of it is, I'd like some information on the side effect panel and your experiences with it. I'm terrified of developing nausea from it, though I will say I do have Zofran to combat nausea.

Overall, how were your experiences? Life changing, meh, fantastic, kinda okay, bad side effects, no side effects?

Thank you for your time, I'm grateful for forums like these.

- Jason

Black Dove
12-19-2016, 10:54 PM
Hi Jason,

I was prescribed Luvox when I was 14 and am now 32 and still taking it. I suffered from severe anxiety, depression, obsessive thoughts ever since I could remember as a child. My anxiety manifested in different ways and was always evolving. I can honestly say I am a different person now and don't know who I would have been without the medication. I still do have some minor obsessive thoughts and anxiety but my thoughts are "in order" and in line with situations in daily life when compared to how I used to think if that makes sense.

I did try to wean off the medication when I was 19 just to see if I would be ok, thinking maybe I had "outgrown" my anxiety. I was on a dose of 200 mg and gradually tapered to 50 mg and seemed to be fine until about 6 months in, when I began to experience panic attacks and anxiety out of nowhere. I then went back up to 200 mg and have stayed at that dose ever since with no issues. I believe I will be taking it for life and am ok with that when compared to the quality of life I would have without it.

To answer your question about side effects, I don't think I experienced any when beginning the medication but I am not sensitive to medications usually. Everyone reacts differently though. It may not be right for some but it was the first antidepressant I tried and it worked for me. I also took Ativan and once I started antidepressants did not need to rely on it, I would only take it very occasionally if I felt my anxiety creeping up. I haven't had to fill my Ativan prescription now for over 10 years.

Ultimately you won't know if it's right for you until you try it, and you may need to try a few before you find a good fit. I was lucky in that it was the first thing I tried that worked. If you have any questions, let me know :)

heytherealex
02-16-2017, 03:48 AM
First, I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, that sounds stressful.
I was diagnosed with OCD when I was about 7 and I spent years trying to find a medication that would work well for me. Luvox/Fluvoxamine has been the best medication I've ever been on and I've tried a lot of different meds.

I can no longer get Luvox as I was told they discontinued it but Fluvoxamine works just as well since it's the generic. It's very expensive but if you have good health coverage, it might not be a problem and it's worth it.

When I switched from Luvox to Fluvoxamine, I felt kind of sick for a couple days but I think that's because I switched so rapidly, not because of the medication itself. I understand being scared of side effects and it's ultimately up to you to decide if it's worth it but Luvox definitely changed my life for the better.

Good luck!