PDA

View Full Version : what is neural frontal stenosis?

DarcyBee
01-03-2017, 04:09 PM
In the conclusion of my MRI notes I see:

Disc osteophyte complexes at c5-c6 and c6-c7 causing mild central stenosis, moderate neural foraminal stenosis and mild left neural foraminal stenosis at c5-c6 and moderate central stenosis,moderate severe left neural frontal stenosis and moderate right neural foraminal stenosis at c6-c7.

I can't find references to neural frontal stenosis. Typo, maybe?

I'm pretty uncomfortable with pain. I'm hopeful something can be done because I don't think I can go on with this getting worse every year.

teteri66
01-04-2017, 06:29 AM
It is meant to say foraminal not frontal. The foramina are openings located at each vertebra where a spinal nerve exits the spine. In order for the nerve to function normally this opening needs to be wide enough to accommodate the nerve. Otherwise the nerve becomes compressed which leads to the symptoms like pain, tingling and numbness. The pain can be felt at the site of compression, or it can radiate anywhere down the path of the nerve. If interested you can look for a "dermatome map" online to see what area of the body is innervated by the C5, C6 and C7 spinal nerve.

When a disc begins to degenerate, which happens naturally as we age and from wear and tear from normal living and from bad habits, the disc can bulge, the adjacent facet joint can become enlarged and little bone spurs can form. These can all contribute to the narrowing of the foraminal opening and is referred to as "stenosis." Disc osteophyte complex is the name for the bony growths that form as part of this degeneration. Depending on just how bad the stenosis is, the surgeon may want to go in and clean it up to make more room for the nerves.

Another useful thing to know is that there are specific words that radiologists use to describe just "how bad" something is. They are minimal, mild, moderate and severe. You will note that at C6-7 the stenosis on the left side is judged to be somewhere between moderate and severe, and moderate on the right side.