PDA

View Full Version : Mum newly diagnosed with skin cancer

littlemissmadam
01-07-2017, 03:31 AM
Hi, This is the first time I have posted, so forgive me, if I am not in the correct section or if I have given any useless information.
My Mum had complained about having a spot around the collarbone area, she covered it with a plaster so it wouldn't catch on her clothes, to be honest I never really gave it much thought, fast forward 6 weeks or so I took her to the GP, who referred her to dermatology as an urgent case, 6 weeks later she gets seen and by then the "spot" had become a large raised area, filled with what I assumed was pus? It also had a black centre and was about 1 inch in diameter. Dermatologist looked at it, felt her lymph nodes and stated that she had skin cancer and he wanted to have it removed as early as next week. I wasn't at this appointment, so I don't know which type of cancer it is, however I am really worried that he could diagnose without a biopsy and the speed he wants Mum in. Has anyone gone through something similar? My Mum has dementia so she doesn't really know what is going on(which is a blessing)
Thank you for taking the time to read this

Titchou
01-07-2017, 06:20 AM
Skin cancer covers a lot of ground...from simple ones that can be cored out to melanomas that need more invasive surgery. Most derms will check you and the schedule the removal later...even if the following week. I always want them removed THEN (I have moles all the time and other similar things that need removal) and so make that known when I make the initial appointment. I don't think this sounds too scary.

littlemissmadam
01-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Thank you Titchou, I am totally clueless about all this, I will try not to be too worried over the next week or so