PDA

View Full Version : Extreme hand washing OCD - can seeing a doctor help?

joseza1996
04-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Hi,

I'm a 20 year old guy, and I've had really bad OCD ever since I was maybe 9 or 10.
It began when I noticed that my family didn't wash their hands after going to the toilet, and so every time I touched something they my family had touched, I'd spend about 5+ minutes washing my hands with soap. I also stopped sitting on furniture in the house, and eventually just began isolating myself to my bedroom, where I couldn't even touch the shelves because my mum had assembled them. I wouldn't walk anywhere in the house without trainers on - I'd take my trainers to the shower, and step right into them as soon as I was done, so they my feet wouldn't touch the floor.
That's a few of the problems I had.

However, I moved out when I was 18, and I haven't seen my family since then, as my OCD is too bad.
When I moved out, I got rid of all my clothes and bank cards from when I lived at home, and stayed in a hotel room and got a new set of clothes, then moved to a new city, and got new bank cards, new clothes, etc...
However, I still have extremely bad OCD
I'll spend 5+ minutes washing my hands after touching any door handle, after handling money etc...
I even moved house at one point last year, as I felt like everything was contaminated - I was too scared to touch anything except the taps to wash my hands in the kitchen for example.

This is just a short outline of my problems, but has anyone had a similar experience?

Would seeing a doctor help? As it's really affecting my life in a hugely negative way, and I feel like the only thing I can do is move to a new city every now and then, but it always seems to come back after a couple of weeks living somewhere new.

Thank you for reading, and I appreciate any help you can give.

pandabeans
04-05-2017, 09:11 AM
I would recommend seeing a lpc (licensed professional counselor) or maybe some other kind of therapist. I see one for my skin picking and slight OCD and she's pretty good and has taught me ways to distract myself from my impulses with picking