PDA

View Full Version : Higher LDL number

boeingdesigner
05-31-2017, 12:50 PM
Greetings all;

After my last visit to the doc for my annual physical, my cholesterol numbers were borderline on the high side. I think my TC was 208 but my LDL number was 131, where it should be below 99 for my age group. My doctor wanted me to try a statin (Fluvastatin/40mg) which I reluctantly agreed to. Took it for 3 months with no improvement. Next he said let's try Lipitor (Atorvastatin/20 mg). I have been on this for one month now. I also have noticed what I believe to be side effects from taking these statins (short term memory loss & insomnia). My sleep life sucks!

I am posting today to ask for any suggestions to help lower that LDL number without taking a statin. I really hate drugs to begin with anyway. I did try RYR a few years back and it worked pretty well but that too is a sort of statin I believe. Let me know what you think.

Thanks to all!

tess201
05-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Hi,

Your numbers may have been perfectly fine (you didn't post your whole lipid panel). What your doc is looking for (under 99) is IMO a bunch of hooey. Too many docs pass out Statins like their candy and to too many folks who actually don't even need them.

Many of us have benefitted from RYR. The one from Nature's Plus has the lowest levels of statins. But your LDL may be perfectly fine when the ratios are figured, if you want to share your lab report. Eating low carb would be another benefit and not just for cholesterol.

Tess

boeingdesigner
06-01-2017, 06:09 AM
Thanks Tess for your response!
I will post my whole lipid panel once I receive a new print out from my doc's office. (Lost the old one)

I think that I have used "Nature's Plus" red yeast rice in the past and it did seem to help. So all RYR products are not created equal I assume. If Nature's Plus has the lowest amount of naturally occurring statins in it, then why does it work so well?

Also does eating a low carbs equate to your physical body structure? I am a tall, thin guy, not overweight at all. I will have to search up what consists of a "low carb" diet for the 3 basic meals per day.

tess201
06-01-2017, 07:52 AM
I think that I have used "Nature's Plus" red yeast rice in the past and it did seem to help. So all RYR products are not created equal I assume. If Nature's Plus has the lowest amount of naturally occurring statins in it, then why does it work so well?

Right, not all created equally. Natures Plus RYR contains four monacolins that are known to reduce LDL levels. This brand is also free of citrinin, which is a toxic substance. Tess

boeingdesigner
06-01-2017, 08:59 AM
On a side bar related question. Can I come off a statin cold turkey or is that something that should be done gradually? I stopped two days ago taking my daily statin and am feeling worse for the wear.

boeingdesigner
06-05-2017, 05:51 AM
tess201;

Just got a print out of my numbers from my doc's office from last Nov. 2016.
Here they are:

TC = 227
HDL = 53
Triglycerides = 65
LDL = 161
Chol/HDLC Ratio= 4.3

What do you think now? I know my LDL is up a bit but maybe I can bring that down thru diet.

tess201
06-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Hello again,

Here are your ratios:

TC/HDL=4.3 looking for <4.5

LDL/HDL=3.3 looking for <3.2

Trig/HDL =1.2 looking for <2.0

As you can see, your LDL is only slightly higher than the recommended number. Diet and/or RYR would likely help to lower it. Bringing your HDL up would also help your LDL ratio. I use flush Niacin (B-3). If you decide to try it you have to start with a very low dose and ramp up very slowly because of the flushing effect. There are many messages here about how to do this with a pill cutter, etc, if you do a search, so that the flushing effect is minimal.

Tess

boeingdesigner
06-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Thank you very much Tess.
Do you have an opinion on the statin content in "Nature's Plus" RYR?
I stopped taking the prescription variety due to the various side effects. Doesn't RYR also have a form of "lovastatin" in it?

tess201
06-05-2017, 10:13 AM
This brand came out best in independent studies in terms of the number of monaclins and had lowest citrinin toxicity levels, which can cause kidney failure. I've been taking RYR for years with no problem. I would definitely recommend it over prescription statins, which have known side-effects.

Red rice yeast (Monascus purpureus) is a natural source of statins that provides a mix of compounds rather than a single one, like most prescription statins. This is more easily absorbed by the body and is less likely to cause the problems often seen with pharmaceuticals. If you decide to try it take it in the evening along with a COQ10 supplement.

Tess

boeingdesigner
06-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Thank you kindly Tess for your response.

boeingdesigner
06-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Tess, one last question.

I see that the "extended release tablet" has 600 mg. of RYR per tab.
How much do you take per day? One tablet or do you take more than one?

tess201
06-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Tess, one last question.

I see that the "extended release tablet" has 600 mg. of RYR per tab.
How much do you take per day? One tablet or do you take more than one?

I think the suggested dose is 2 tabs for 1200 mg. This is what I take. I would then wait at least 6 months before you have another lipid panel (fasting) to see if your numbers have changed. Of course, exercise will assist greatly as well, even just brisk walking.

Doesn't have to be the "last" question ;). Let us know how you are doing.

Homeflash
10-17-2017, 05:30 AM
I would take nuts (almonds) daily, and milk thistle (good for liver) and Tumeric for supplements. Eat more vegi. Cut meats!! I lost 10 lbs after doing so and in 3 months...r, I lost 37 points! from 218 to 181