PDA

View Full Version : Normal??

Pollyanna1234
06-06-2017, 06:26 AM
I had originally posted this on the dental board, but I think it's more appropriate posted here.

I had bad orthodontics done on me years ago and have struggled with my OCD focusing on the outcome for years. Things look fine (although I have obsessed about that as well), but things don't feel right, or at least I don't think they do.

My main concern right now is that I can often feel my inner lip contacting my teeth when I smile and then say certain words. It's kind of like a rub feeling. This is particularly bothersome if I smile and then go straight into a gasp with my mouth in an 'o' shape (I have a baby and do this when playing). It happens a lot at other times as well, though.. This is all worse the drier my mouth is and usually better if my mouth isn't dry, though not always, unfortunately.

Is this a normal thing to feel? If my mouth is really dry, sometimes my lips will actually stick on my teeth, especially with the gasping thing. Does anyone else feel this? Everything drastically changed in my mouth when I had this work done and it has been so many years since I have been 'normal' that I don't know what is normal!

YaYagirl
08-09-2017, 08:30 AM
Dear Pollyanna,

You are making a big deal about a normal action and feeling your teeth. It is called smiling. When you play you are choosing to exaggerate the lip movement. You are choosing this. It isn't 'happening to you'.

I feel my teeth when I smile, too and if I don't have enough saliva in my mouth I feel them more. If your mouth is dry, drink more water. Think about playing with your child and enjoy it.

When we have dental work, yes inside the mouth will feel different. Making a change inside the mouth is the point of dental work. It is perfectly normal. You can choose to go to a dentist and get it checked out or just forget about 'something is wrong'. That's the same choice everyone has. Make a choice.

Anyone of us can make ourselves feel crazy if we dwell on how the body functions. You have to tell yourself the truth that being alive means you have nerves and nerves mean you feel things. It's perfectly normal. Living creatures feel things.

Obsession is a choice. I admit sometimes I obsess for awhile about this or that. We can limit how long we choose to think on a subject, then change our mind and think about other more important things like having fun with your child. You can choose to tell yourself the truth that you are supposed to feel things. It means you are alive and normal.

Love,

Pollyanna1234
08-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Thanks so much for this.

I have difficulties with switching my thinking and where my awareness is. It's all about the anxiety and the trauma of past experiences. Your post is very grounding.

YaYagirl
08-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Dear Pollyanna,

You're so welcome. I am happy that the words encouraged you to relax and let your mind move on from the subject. :)

Navigating this life was an overwhelming maze to me through my 20's. There was a great deal of very confusing trauma in my life, and mostly I didn't talk to anyone about it and no one helped me sort through it back then. It was in my 30's that a friend who observed my anxiety taught me that we cannot dwell on more than one subject at a time and we can choose what we think about (we can switch subjects, but we cannot dwell on the multiple things at one time). He taught me how to make or I should say LET myself relax.

When we practice choosing our thought life we can relax and let go of unpleasant memories and experiences. I'm so glad to have helped you along that path. :)

Love,