PDA

View Full Version : Unexplained Enlarged Spleen & Pain

TO2GA
07-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Hello, I'm having an issue that I'm getting desperate for results and have been unsuccessful so far. I am a 29 year old male, 6'1", 220lbs living in the southeast US. Only major surgery is a gallbladder removal 7 years ago and I also had mono around that time. No complications after until recently. I do not smoke and I drink occasionally. I also have ADHD and have a prescription for adderall, the lowest does. I maybe take 4-6 pills in a given week and I often go long stretches without taking it at all. As of my latest test about 1 month ago, my spleen is measuring 16.6 cm and I am constantly in pain from it.

About 1.5 years ago, I was experiencing severe abdominal pains right in the middle of my stomach. They were intense and contracting, also felt it in my back. They felt similar to my gallstone pains. I went to the ER and after multiple tests nothing came up, and eventually I felt better after some time hooked up to IV and morphine. The only result from the tests was that my spleen was enlarged. So I was referred to a GI doctor to look into it. Over the next few months, that intense stomach pain went away, but I was able to feel that spleen pain more and more on the upper left side of my abdomen. It is kind of a burning/dull pain and would sometimes come and go, be better or worse at certain times. Especially if I would go for a run or eat a large meal I would notice it more. As well, I started developing digestive issues such as constipation and indigestion. I was working with the GI doctor and did tests such as a liver biopsy, endoscopy, tons of blood work, MRIs, Ultrasounds, and most recently a colonoscopy. Absolutely nothing has turned up other than mild irritation in my stomach during the endoscopy.

The intense stomach pain episode happened once more, almost a year to the date from the first time. Again went to the ER, my liver enzymes were way up but no specific cause was found for those pains. I've had minor episodes here and there since then but nothing that has sent me to the ER. I've noticed spicy foods or high in fat creamy foods such as alfredo sauce or sour cream seem to kick start these.

I've also been working with a Hematologist and have done tons of blood work, and a bone marrow biopsy and haven't found anything. I've considered it may be a food or alcohol or medication reaction, but I've done everything from eliminating any alcohol or medication for weeks at a time, avoiding certain foods, but sometimes I can eat the same things at the same time for a few days in a row and some days the side will hurt more than others.

I've been dealing with this for almost 2 years now and am at my breaking point. My side almost always hurts, and I'm afraid of eating most foods because I have no idea how I will react. The indigestion, bloating and constipation are awful, no idea if it's related to the spleen. Any thoughts or suggestions on what direction to take?

YaYagirl
07-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Dear TO2GA,

I also have an enlarged spleen, mine from Hep C from a transfusion 35 years ago. I no longer have Hep C due to treatment but my liver was over stressed which then stressed my spleen. Now that my liver is healing from the effects of the virus, there's a good chance the spleen also will recover. I was told that the spleen can regenerate itself in time.

That doesn't mean it is comfortable while it's healing. I know certain foods really irritate my system. I try to avoid those.

I suggest that you avoid whatever foods that irritate your digestive system even part of the time. I know that isn't fun. I suffer a lot when I ignore that fact.

I would do some investigation on whether the meds you take or alcohol have a negative effect on the spleen. I haven't researched that, but I know they can affect the liver and therefore it follows that they must affect the spleen.
You may need to change meds and or diet.

Here is some info on the subject to give you a little direction and hope -

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/enlarged-spleen/symptoms-causes/dxc-20214722

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1079560/