PDA

View Full Version : can a 2mm in diameter mole be melanoma ?

andia
09-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Hi,

I had a very dark mole removed a few days ago. It was small (2mm) and much darker than my other moles. It was round and only slightly raised. It was on my back, never noticed it and have no idea how long it's been there and if has changed.

The Derm seemed concerned and now I'm very scared. If it comes back as melanoma, would it be early stages since it's small? The abcd rules say diameter of a pencil and this was much smaller.

Thanks for any info

MSNik
09-24-2017, 09:28 AM
It may or may not be a melanoma and there are several types of melanoma. Its good that you went to the derm to have it removed and biopsied.

I had something like you describe on my back. Im not even sure how long it was there, but my derm found it during a routine check. We removed it and it turned out to be precancerous. I had MOHS surgery, where they remove layers of the skin until they have removed all signs of cancer. Fortunately for me, it only took 2 passes and I was good. Now I have a small scar on my back to remind me to stay out of the sun and always wear sunscreen!

Dont worry- the fact that you caught it so fast and had it removed, whatever needs to happen, let it happen. Its much better that you caught it than if you hadnt!

andia
09-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Thank you so very much for the reply. I honestly have never been this scared in my life. I am not sure I caught it early as I have NO idea how long that mole was there or if it was always that dark. So i hope that it is early. Would it look bigger if it was not early?

My main question and I can't find any info on this, is if it's small (2mm in diameter) is it possible it would be very invasive. They say if it's more than a pencil eraser (6mm) but you never hear about tiny moles less than 6mm.

Does anyone have any insight?

Titchou
09-24-2017, 10:56 AM
If it didn't have irregular edges, you are probably fine. What do you mean that your doctor seemed"concerned?" I've had tons of moles removed over the years - symetrical ones and irregular ones, raised ones and flat ones. The derm was always more than willing to remove and test. But I never considered their willingness to remove as anything but proactive....not "concern." In fact one we removed that we both thought was a non issue but it got rubbed by my waistband came back as abnormal! So did a punch biopsy and all was well.

andia
09-24-2017, 12:25 PM
If it didn't have irregular edges, you are probably fine. What do you mean that your doctor seemed"concerned?" I've had tons of moles removed over the years - symetrical ones and irregular ones, raised ones and flat ones. The derm was always more than willing to remove and test. But I never considered their willingness to remove as anything but proactive....not "concern." In fact one we removed that we both thought was a non issue but it got rubbed by my waistband came back as abnormal! So did a punch biopsy and all was well.

The Derm seemed concerned as she wanted it removed right away said it looked highly suspicious as it was so dark and I didn't know how long it was there or if it was always dark. She said it was round slightly raised and small 2mm but the darkness I think it was an ugly duckling as it was much darker than my other moles freckles and I'm very fair.
I still am curious if such small moles can be invasive melanoma or if it's still considered early stages.
The dermatologist said she's seen melanoma in all mole sizes.

andia
10-05-2017, 12:35 PM
updating. My black mole was a blue nevus. Very relieved!!