PDA

View Full Version : Unknown GI issue (help please)

CathyM01
10-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Hey all. I've been suffering from severe abdominal pain for over a month now. No matter what I put into my mouth (a banana, an egg) I begin to severely bloat up. My symptoms are as follows:

bloating and fullness
dull stomach ache
nausea
diarrhea
mucus in stool (fuzzy stool is yellowish and tends to have particles of undigested food and blood)
severe abdominal pain and spasms
fatigue
0 appetite
weight loss
no urge for flatulence for a month

I had a colonoscopy done which came back clear. All bloodwork (liver enzymes, UC, celiac, etc) were good and my GI doctor thinks it is IBS. I also had a transvaginal sonogram and an oral contrast abdominal CT scan to rule out cysts or impaired functioning of other organs- all came back unremarkable

My concern is can IBS be that severe and everyday for over a month?
I was prescribed bentyl (dicyclomine) and the only time I can force myself to eat is when I take one.

Also I am pregnant (5 weeks) and wanted to stop taking bentyl. But if i stop taking it, i am in constant pain with spasms- making it difficult to go about my life or leave the house. I am concerned about not being able to eat, gain weight, or meet my nutritional needs. Mixed reviews on whether bentyl is safe for pregnancy.

Btw the issue started before the pregnancy so it is not caused by it.

Oh and even when I AM taking the bentyl- I don't have "normal" bowel movements. They still appear yellowish and contain undigested food, weird colors and particles. The bentyl just helps makes my BM slightly more firm.

I'm an anxious, frustrated, nervous wreck because I feel like I am deteriorating away on the inside. I can't afford to lose anymore weight and I just want to be able to feel hungry again. I have tried different types of foods and diets- but nothing has quieted the issue.

I'd appreciate any tips or insight on issue, please help!!!

MSNik
10-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Yes IBS can go on day in and day out...but has anyone looked at your gallbladder? Your symptoms sound remarkably like mine did when I had my GB out. This is should also be considered by your GI doctor, but the tests are very specific. A HIDA scan and an ultrasound will help determine if your is functioning as it should be.

CathyM01
10-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Yes IBS can go on day in and day out...but has anyone looked at your gallbladder? Your symptoms sound remarkably like mine did when I had my GB out. This is should also be considered by your GI doctor, but the tests are very specific. A HIDA scan and an ultrasound will help determine if your is functioning as it should be.

Thank you for the reply and tips! I have never heard of a HIDA scan, I will look into it. I initially had a CT done with oral contrast on my entire abdominal area, which came back unremarkable. I know that IV contrast could provide more detail on the gallbladder- but due to my pregnancy status I am limited and cannot do further tests/scans at this time because of radiation risks. If you have any feedback on how you managed the symptoms day to day or altered your diet, please let me know!