PDA

View Full Version : MRI results do they show need for surgery

Shelle4461
05-09-2018, 07:01 PM
C4-5 Posterior disc osteophyte complex which is the eccentric to the left, uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, no central canal stenosis. The neural foramina appear patent.

C5-6: Prominent posterior disc osteophyte complex, ther is effacement of the thecal sac, there is central canal stenosis. There is uncovertebraal joint hypertrophy. There is mild narrowing of the right neural foramina, left neural foramina is poorly visualized and is severely narrowed.

C6-7: Posterior disc osteophyte complex uncovertebral joint hypertrophy.There is central canal stenosis, the left neural foramina appears patent although moderatly narrowed. There is moderate to sever right foraminal narrowing.

I have had numbness of both hands for months now, headaches,dropping numerous items and extreme difficulty with typing, writing. I wanted to know if you think surgery is nessecary

MSNik
05-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Be very careful when you get advice on central stenosis. Different doctors will tell you different things; you really want to find a doctor you can trust.

Stenosis is a narrowing of the spinal area where Central Spinal Fluid flows..it is perfectly normal for it to narrow with age. I have Multiple Sclerosis, where this is an issue as well. I also have numbness and tingling in my hands and fingers.

It turns out that the stenosis is not at all what is causing my numbness, but a pinched nerve in my neck. I also have several herniated discs in my C spine.

Surgery is NOT an option for me as there is really nothing I can do. I have lived with this for over a decade now. When the pain gets too much, I go for steroid injections and nerve blocks. This helps considerably and lasts about 6 months.

Try talking to a neurologist before you move on to the surgical stage? You may find some answers which are not related to your spinal issues. You really dont want spine surgery unless it is absolutely necessary!