PDA

View Full Version : Please help am worrying

Dragon801
05-30-2018, 08:41 AM
Hello

Really not sure where this needs to go but need some advice before I turn into a worrying quivering wreck.

My daughter has been suffering nose bleeds on and off which downtimes seem to coincide with her periods. Her periods are also mildly heavy. So off I went to the doctor's to get her checked out. The doctor sent her for blood tests which we went for last Thursday. I rang for results yesterday and they said the doctor had said "can we please make a non urgent appointment to discuss the results" we went today to discuss the results and they said that her blood test came back that her body takes longer to clot blood and she bleeds slightly longer than she should be. She told us that the higher end for this test (PT Test) was 12.5 and she came out at 13.5.

She then went on to say that they will refer her to a haematology but then said "hold on let me speak to another doctor" she came back in the room.and then said. "Actually we will repeat the blood test again in three months and go from there" so now I am trying myself up in absolutely knots about what this could be or what could be wrong! All sorts flying through my head, leukaemia, cancer, haemathlia?? It doesn't help that I do not know her father's side medical history. My daughter is 13 years old, she eats really well infact she doesn't stop, she seems healthy in every other way except these nose bleeds. Any advice would be really helpful as I'm not sure I can cope waiting there months!!! 😔

midwest1
05-31-2018, 12:39 PM
I'm sorry you're in this situation of having to worry about your child.

Blood is a complicated subject. Even though I have my own blood disease that I understand well, there are many others I know very little about.

So, while I can't tell you what might be wrong with your daughter's test results, I can assure you that if she's feeling fine, try not to be worrying about leukemia or other dire disease. The doctor's lack of urgency is another way to know you shouldn't worry until you know what it is you're worrying about.

Did they by chance tell you her platelet count? Platelets are responsible for clotting; a deficiency of them might allow for nose bleeds and heavy periods, among other bleeding signs.

Dragon801
06-01-2018, 06:13 AM
Hello thankyou so much for the reply, they didn't tell me her platelet count. Only said her test came out at 13.5 and to test again in three months. She mentioned there maybe something in her genes or inherited but obviously I'm thinking the worse.

Titchou
06-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Two of the students at my school have chronic nosebleeds. In both cases, one parent had the same thing. Seems that they outgrow it as they have gotten further apart as they have gotten older.