PDA

View Full Version : Ulcerative colitis and leaking bowels

tiverton127
08-04-2018, 03:58 PM
I was diagnosed with colitis in February and am having problems with leakage of bowel and staining underwear. I am always concerned that it will leak through my clothes. No matter how much I clean myself after a bowel movement I always stain my undergarments and also I have been problems with my hemorroids. Some days I move my bowels a half dozen times and was wondering about any one out there who used Imodium to cut back on the bowel movements especially when I know I will not be near a restroom. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

quincy
08-05-2018, 11:21 AM
Hi....what medications are you on?
What is the location extent of your UC?

q

tiverton127
08-05-2018, 03:22 PM
I am taking mesalamine 1.2 g EC tablet, 1 tablet in the morning. Some days I have no real problems but other times it seems that I spend way too much in the bathroom. The leakage from my rectum really concerns because I worry that it will go through my clothing, so I have started wearing pads to protect my clothing. I see my doctor in October for a full up visit and will go over these concerns with him at that time. I have tried taking Imodium, 1 or 2 tablets but both times it seems to take 2 - 3 hours to take effect. Any helpful hints?

quincy
08-05-2018, 10:30 PM
Hi....firstly, you're on way too low dosage of oral....2400mg daily at the least.
As well, you need to be on a rectal med.....i suggest mesalamine retention enema.

I suggest you call your GI asap because your symptoms are of flaring. Don't take imodium often, especially while flaring.

Keep us updated.

q