PDA

View Full Version : PTSD / Agorphobia, Panic Attacks and Geodon

MultiConfussed
10-28-2002, 07:51 PM
Hi folks,
I am in Public Safety, back in March I was in a life threatening situation at work, got diagnosed with Severe Chronic PTSD, Severe Panic Attacks, Agorophobia, and now they have prescribed with Geodon., which is an Atypical anti-psycotic med. I get the feeling the are moving me into the direction of a diagnosis of schizophrenia. I have not heard of Geodon being prescribed for the above mentioned initial diagnosis. Geodon is working great. Three questions, 1: If a person of normal mental health who would take geodon, would there be no results since they are normal, 2: Since Geodon is working for me does that mean I have a pyschotic disorder, 3: With these diagnosis and being prescibed Geodon basically mean the end of my career in Law Enforcemnt.

Many Thanks for your help

Faith80
10-30-2002, 01:55 PM
First off, I'm sorry that something tragic has happened to you and has effected you in such a harsh way. As for all your questions, I think your best bet is to ask the doctor who prescribed geodeon to you and see what he/she has to say,....that's what they are there for hon. Sorry I can't be of anymore more help.

PS-I have been on meds before that say it's for one thing, but my doctor has given me it for another-liek I'm on neurtron for sleep, but when you look it up it says it's for seizures and I don't have seizures

------------------
As long as there is life, there is hope

sweetwawa
10-30-2002, 08:02 PM
i was in a high stress situation recently but probably not like yours.

i was prescribed zyprexa for high stress.
i too thought that the diagnosis was something else but realized it can be for many other things; however, the medication ended up being too potent,which i learned 2 months later.
If the medication is helping you i don't think it means you are definitely that diagnosis no; however, speak to the doctor to find out the indications or uses of the drug you're taking and if its only for schizophrenia.

I know the fear of having been either misdignosed or possibly treated wrongly. Second opinions always help.
I was in a tough situation which caused me to possibly be mis or overdiagnosed/medicated and am going to seek a 2nd or 3rd opinion.