PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity Everywhere! What Can I Do??


Anonymity
01-16-2003, 10:37 AM
I don't know that this is specifically a health question, but it IS driving my family nuts! The static electricity in my household, car, and office is intense. Our clothes stick together, we stick to the couch, the car door zaps us everytime, and my hair is standing on end!

I run a humidifier in both my home and office. I use static-cling dryer sheets. I spray my clothes and furniture with anti-static spray (even though I detest its nasty odor). Is there anything else I can do??

Thanks for understanding that I'm really getting sick of this pesky static. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/wow.gif

Merrida
01-16-2003, 01:01 PM
I can definitely relate as we're going through the same thing! Every time I come in from walking the dog and pull off my sweats (which I put on over jammies or a lighter pair of tights) - it's like ripping skin off! Then everything sticks to me, my clothes can practically suspend themselves!

My Hubby works in computers and he said that with computers being so sensitive, when standard measures cannot be met (ie: hardwood floors, etc.), he said that some people make a concoction of regular liquid fabric softener mixed with water, put it in a spray bottle, and spray it on their carpets. Spray bottles mean you get a heavier dowsing than an aerosol spray. I've used Static-Guard before, and have it under the sink because I do still rely on it, it does work, but just like you, I find the odor less than pleasant.

By mixing the spray, you not only are able to get a heavier, moister misting, but you can also control the ratio until you find one that works well for you.

If you can avoid walking around in your socks it helps because they will really pull up the static.

Using a regular dryer sheet, you can rub it across your combs and brushes to de-static them before you brush. You can also carry them in your purse to wipe down things like the car door handle, run them across your hair lightly to take away the fly-aways (as long as you don't try to smear it aggressively against your locks, you don't have to worry about your hair getting gunky from the dryer sheet -- just pass it lightly).

Used dryer sheets after you've done the laundry also make good cleaning cloths - wipe down the shower stall and it will help keep the walls and shower curtain from getting dirty and mildewy so they're more easily cleaned. They make good wipes across the tub, too, because the textured surface gets roughed up after being run through the dryer, and they easily wipe up those quick after bath messes or can stains, and also leave a static free coating.

The dryer sheets (again, after you've used them in the dryer) can be used to clean blinds, wipe the TV, door knobs, chairs,... the more things you do end up being able to "wipe" -- the more spaced in your home become protected against the static.

Trooper
01-16-2003, 01:45 PM
Just wanted to say that I have the exact same problem - ALL over the place. I was at the grocery store recently and I had one hand on the metal part of the cart while reaching for some celery with the other hand. Well, the other hand hit the metal shelf and I got the biggest shock of my life. I went from one hand to another and it HURT! It also made a large pop. Now I try to touch something neutral before I touch my truck, light switch, etc.

I will try the suggestions above.
Thanks for the tips,
Trooper

[This message has been edited by Trooper (edited 01-16-2003).]

Anonymity
01-17-2003, 03:27 PM
My family has bad allergies. The allergist told us not to use fabric softener in our laundry. Do you think spraying some on the couch, carpet, etc. would be a bad idea? I would water it down, though, so maybe it isn't a big deal? Thanks for any ideas! I really want to try your suggestions!!! :) :)

Merrida
01-17-2003, 04:40 PM
I believe they make dye-free and fragrance-free fabric softeners you could use.

Would that help?

rushrulz
02-12-2003, 03:13 PM
A subject painful to my heart! I've basically developed a phobia now--what I'm calling electrophobia for want of a better term. When I go into a store or restaurant w/someone, I let them go first and hold the door so I don't have to touch it. I close all car doors by pushing on the window, not the frame (fortunately, handles are mostly plastic these days). If things are really bad out, I try not to touch anything or go anywhere. I've been dying for some kind of fix.

I read a column in the paper in which the guy describes punching the door with his fist before touching the handle. I suspect the shock still happens, but he doesn't notice it with the sensation of knuckles hitting steel to mask it.

BobE
02-12-2003, 04:14 PM
It will help uf U can remember to hold on to something metal like the door handle while getting out of the car. When I forget I get zapped.

Also carry Ur keys in Ur hand to touch a door U've walked up to. U'll still feel the zap when the spark jumps between key and metal, but much less than when the spark is between Ur hand and the door.

Like the above post, if I don't have keys in hand I'll slap the door fast (not hard). This seems to reduce the amount of time the spark can burn. BobE

ariela
03-06-2003, 08:04 AM
And again, I find myself replying to another posting, like everything happens to me too!!!

I get zapped all the time too. Like you guys, I let other people go first, or touch the glass from the car instead of the door.

It it really like a phobia to touching things!!!

What I do now is I touch anything with my knuckles first. I get zapped anyway, but I feel it less.