PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my hair to STAY straight??

SweetTemptation
12-10-2003, 12:37 AM
I have naturally curly hair. I always use an anti frizz serum, then dry it with the hair dryer. It looks really good at first, but after a few hours, it starts to get kinda wavy and doesnt stay completely straight? How can I get it to stay completely straight all day?? Also, Ive heard of straightening at a hair salon. How much does it cost...and does it really work??

spikie
12-10-2003, 01:39 AM
you need to use a flat iron after you get done drying your hair. that will really make it stay. and yea getting it done in a salon is awesome and permanent til your hair grows out

AnitaPita
12-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Yes, I agree, find a good ceramic flat iron. It will make your hair bone straight and it stays fairly well unless your hair gets wet.

GettingWellAgain
12-10-2003, 08:57 PM
A flat iron also worked well for me. You CAN get your hair chemically straightened at a salon (if this is what you're talking about) but I totally advise against it. Everyone I know who has gotten a chemical relaxer (even at a salon!) has NOT had good results. The complaints afterward were major hair breakage, dry, brittle, hair, hair falling out, and scalp burns. Some might disagree with me and say that if you have the "right" stylist doing it, you won't have a problem, but this is just my opinion. Also, very curly hair like yours and mine is very porous and therefore much more prone to becoming very dry and damaged, as the hair shaft does not lay straight naturally. There is also this new technique calling Japanese hair straightening or something like that, but with my research I've still found that although more gentle, it still is a chemical relaxing process regardless of whether or not they use cermic tools and ions in the process to "protect and moisturize" your hair. I say that your best bet is to learn to like your curly hair (I know, it's hard) and try to find styles to leave it curly (and therefore healthier) and if you really want to straighten it, use a ceramic flat iron like the above posters said. Keep using the anti-frizz serum if it works (it works well for me, too), blow dry, and then use the iron. I only straighten my hair on occassion now, and when I do it, I shampoo and condition, and when my hair is SOAKING wet I apply the anti-frizz serum. Then, I immediately brush it into a low, tight ponytail and let it dry like that. It cuts out on the damaging effects of the blowdryer. When it's completely dry, I use the flat iron and iron in small section at a time. Straightening irons aren't the healthiest thing for your hair either, but they're better than chemicals. Also, when your hair is wet, putting it in a tight ponytail also isn't that healthy because your hair breaks easier when it's wet. Good luck.

Belle2003
12-10-2003, 10:53 PM
Buy a flat iron at a beauty supply store. Don't buy one from Target and those kind of stores. The one I got is by Hot Tools. It cost around $28.00. It is the one my hair stylist uses. It works great. Your hair will be so straight. My hair stays straight until the next time I wash it.

Himes
12-23-2003, 08:51 AM
I have the best flat Iron, bought it from a salon. The CHI iron. Best tool I own!

Oblio
12-25-2003, 04:59 PM
my hair is kinda gerry curl kinda deal, where MOST of it is naturally staight, but i have a lot of random curly hairs, and if my hair gets damp or it's humid outside it'll become wavy. so this might not help a ton, but worth a shot. l'oreal vive has a line called smooth intense. it has shampoo/conditioner and anti frizz serum. i use all three and thus far love it. use a straightening iron or if your budget is tight they have a new hairbrush that the heat from your hair dryer heats to work like a straightening iron and i thin its only like $7. i cant say how well it works though, ive just seen it. one thing i do that i notice helps me keep my hair from curling or getting super frizzy, is once i'm done drying my hair, i blast my whole head with the cool air (need a dryer with this function) and brush it while doing so until all the hair has cooled. this seems to help set the hair as straight and i rarely have a problem after that.. if nothing else for several hours longer than normal before the curl attacks.

SCAR
12-26-2003, 08:50 AM
my sister has those straight irons it doesn't work. it works for a couple hours then it doesn't work anymore

u should go to a hair salon and ask for hair straightening. it costs you about 80 bucks or so, but it lasts for an entire year

xoctinaox
12-28-2003, 10:59 AM
Use a good straightening iron, like the one I have, CHI turbo. I got it for $122 on ebay, a great deal because it normally goes for somethign up in the 200's. And it was brand new. And did i mention it actually lasts until your next shampoo???