PDA

View Full Version : hair removal on arms?

Belle2003
12-14-2003, 12:29 AM
My daughter will be going to her winter formal dance and she wants to remove the hair on her arms. I think that this in unnecessary, but it is hard to reason with her. Has anyone waxed or shaved their arms? If so, which method did you use, would you do it again and did it grow back in thicker or darker?

Abbey32
12-14-2003, 12:48 AM
I did and used Magic Powder...which is a hair remover made for course black man's hair...but everyone I know uses it. It is sold at Walgreens. It is a powder you mix with water to make a paste...slather on and a few minutes later...wipe hair off in shower. Do a test patch as some people are sensitive to hair removers. If you can't find this product, I think Nair will do just fine. And nope...when my hair grew back, it wasn't darker or courser...it was exactly the same as before. I also shaved my arms and it grew back the same. ;)

SkyeUK
01-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Hi there :wave:

I imagine that your daughter has had her winter dance now, but Yes i always do my arms. I have done since i was about 14.
The hair on my arms isnt that dark but personally i always just feel it looks better. :)

I normally just shave them, its much less hassle and unlike when you shave your legs as your arms feel quiet smooth unlike shaved legs :(

Ive also used immac and nads before to do my arms, but find it too much hassle, far too messy.

Also, I dont find that the hairs grows back any darker. I know its a bit late but may help in the future.

Happy new year :jester:

Cldwv
01-02-2004, 09:50 AM
I've tried waxing a couple times but my arms bruised badly. Now I use Nair and get good results.

afbigbird82
09-18-2006, 12:04 PM
abbey32
? for u can you use magic powder anywhere? "down there" ? it works great on my lags but need some other help thanks:)

jenn1v
09-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi,

I used to shave my arms and the hair didn't grow dark but it was kinda a hassle shaving all the time. I would suggest the waxing instead. It's not expensive(usually $20 at most salons or you can buy the wax and do it yourself cheaper $10) and not painful. There's also bleach that will lighten the hair as well. Good luck

keepsgoin
09-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Unless your daughter is dark skinned, I'd really recommend just bleaching it with a kit from Walmart for facial and body hair. Probably like Sally Hansen. Shaving is fine but she'll have to do it every couple days once she starts and I wouldn't recommend waxing by yourself because you can do some damage if you don't know what you are doing. You can bruise yourself and you can have little bumps which look way worse than any hairs do. The simplest and fastest and cheapest is definately just shaving. Certainly right before a big event like a dance isn't the time to experiment with something like waxing!

eve40
09-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Waxing worked, before I had it lasered. Oh, I love that laser. :jester:

Belle2003
09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Dear Eve40:

My daughter is getting laser hair removal on her back. Did you use any numbing cream on your skin before having your laser treatment?

Thanks, Belle

eve40
09-18-2006, 04:32 PM
I did the first time but never after that. The pain didn't bother me that much. I recently had some meso-thearphy and they added the same type of numbing medication to the solution and it made me dizzy and sick to my stomach. I now understand how that stuff can be toxic. I've pretty much decided that my body cannot handle that stuff and will deal with the pain, as I don't find it that bad. I just know I won't ever use that numbing cream again. I'll never get Meso again either, boy you talk about pain!

tUrRrRa
09-19-2006, 07:33 PM
I'd love to get laser done! My mom told me she had a nightmare about me getting it done and it ruined and burned my skin... eeeek! I sure would HOPE nothing weird would happen if I do it. I think she was just not wanting me to get it done anyway :rolleyes: hehe.

I currently shave my arms. When I was in elementary school I remember a boy telling me I had hairy arms like a man! I never thought they were too bad, but when a friend of mine said they shaved their arms, I tried it. My mom was saying "It will grow back thicker and darker" but that definitely didn't happen. It actually seemed to grow back thinner at first. Only about half of the hair would grow back and the other half would take longer. The color is the same.. it would only be darker if your hair was lightened from the sun. Also, it MIGHT look thicker at first b/c of the blunt tip caused my shaving, but I never notice is, and it would taper off eventually anyway. I only shave mine like every 2 weeks.. I just let it grow a little bit in between and it never grows back completely between then.

Nair works okay for this but I'm allergic to it and know a lot of people who get irritated skin from it. It's not worth the itching to me and shaving isn't as messy and it's quick and easy. I haven't tried waxing either.. I'm sure it works great, especially the hair gone for longer afterwards.

keepsgoin
09-20-2006, 05:21 AM
The idea of the hair grows back thicker if you shave is just an old wives tale! There is absolutely no truth to that and is silly if you really stop and think about how could the razor cutting hair affect hair inside of you...silliness! It will feel stubbly at first just because the ends are blunt...the current hairs on the arm have been exposed to the eliments(sun..etc.) so they are lighter now than what they will grow back at first.