PDA

View Full Version : flaking, oily, pale skin...HELP!

xxFreakOfNaturexx
12-17-2003, 09:35 AM
my skin is so pale people have said i look "almost albino." so, frustratingly, every time i go to the store and buy the *lightest* foundation i can find, it is WAY too dark and orangey/fake-looking.

i have oily AND flaky skin, if that makes any sense...i have tried the all-natural/organic cleansers and such but they do not make much of a difference (most of them don't help w/acne either :()

the flakes are always on my nose, no matter how hard/often i scrub and how much (and with what) i moisturize. i have never tanned, and never plan on doing so. i stay away from sunlight...

also, when i put make-up on top of moisturizer, the moisturizer tends to flake off...maybe it's just cheap moisturizer, or maybe it's just me...

i don't know if there is a problem with my skin or i'm not moisturizing enough (haven't moisturized in awhile) or what, but no matter how much i blend my foundation, it makes little stripes on my face...again, maybe it's just crappy make-up though...

SO, as you all can imagine, when i try to put make-up on in the morning i end up with skin flakes, lines, and orange skin. :eek: disgusting huh?

can anyone recommend a good moisturizer (no d.i.y. please) for me that will not clog pores or make my skin "shiny?" preferrably something you can buy at a store like target or walmart...

i need a good scrub as well...i would prefer cleansing cloths over the kind that comes in a tube...but either one is fine.

and also, a good foundation for super-pasty people that will stay put all day?

thanks for helping the make-up disaster victim ;)

synaminluv
12-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Hey Freaky ;)

I too have dealt with similar skin as yours. I'm sorry to hear that using natural organic products have not worked for you (or was it just a cleanser that didn't work). Because for me going nartural has made all the difference.

I started with using jojoba oil. It took a week or so but it has really made a difference because I am not anywhere near as oily as I use to be. So many women on this board also rave about camellia oil and how it has changed their skin and this is something that I would like to try too.

Along with the jojoba oil I use a cleanser from Avalon and a moisturizer from Burt's Bees. All of which can be found at your basic stores. Another change I made was to mineral makeup. I use the Aromaleigh brand , as well as I use one of her all natural facial serums. I have to say that I have been loving my skin. And trust me I have not loved my skin in I don't know how long. I have to add that the changes did not happen over night, I had to be patient.

Anyway, I hope you find a regime that works for you :)

tweetbirdy
12-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Hey F.O.Nature :jester:

Your skins sounds exactly like mine. I really can't even shop at drug/discount stores because nothing works for me. And when ever I go to a department store, there always like, your skin is so red, or your skin is dry because it's flaky, or your skin's oily because you have breakouts. I wish they'd make-up therir mind! Well anyways, I kind of figured out how to take care of my skin and as long as I don't get lazy and I wash it 2X a day and do my mask 2 or 3 times a week, I'm okay. In fact I had a make-over last weekend and the lady was like you have really nice skin!
I have really red, broken capillaries around my nose, pale pale skin and I break out expecially on my jaw line/chin when I don't take care of it. I CAN NOT use the typical scrubs , they just make my skin more flaky . I have a fast cell turnover rate, so what I do is I use a face wash with a AHA (alpha hydroxy) 2X a week. It's really strong but as long as I don't use it everyday it keeps all the build up from making my skin rough/uneven. I use one brand of stuff that I really like.
It's really good, and it's what cher uses, it's called mario badescu, I used it 2 years ago, but stopped because the enzyme cleanser was way to stong and worried it was stripping my skin and then I found out that if I only use it 2x a week, instead of everday it works and doesn't bother my skin so much. And then I use a gentle face wash 2x a day and a gentle toner (put it on really gentle, like on a baby's bottom) , and then I dab on a light moisterizer just on cerain spots and on my forhead. And I use rose-hip oil when I need to calm my irritated skin, and it smells really calming. I liked origins too when I was younger, but that too can be kind of strong, sometimes, it helps to use just very,very little amounts, and get a purse-mister and just mist on the toner. But I really like the mario badescu, because I think they have more stuff to choose from, and there stuff is more gentle.

I am sorry I wrote so much! But one more thing I have to say, essential oils or too many of them can bother my skin too. So maybe don't use too much at one time. I think Less is more when you have sensitive skin.

tweetbirdy
12-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Oh yes , as for price. I think the mario badescu and origins is probally a few more dollars then oil of olay. I think you would probally be looing at paying 10-20 dollars each product instead of 5-15 dollars each product. But at least you can return them if they don't work.

honeybee81
12-26-2003, 07:56 PM
I would also recommend jojoba oil for the dryness. Use it twice a day. For a scrub I like original Cetaphil cleanser mixed with baking soda. As for foundation, Aromaleigh has a color called 'alabaster' that is almost white. Check their Web site. You can order samples. I recommend Pure Powder. Good luck

AnnieLee
12-27-2003, 08:14 AM
Any chance some of you have rosacea?

bugsgirl
12-27-2003, 10:27 AM
I use Cetaphil to clean my face, and mix it with a bit of baking soda once a week to exfoliate. I use Oil of olay moisturizer.

Remember if you strip your skin you will cause it to produce even more oil. Take it easy on it and use gentle cleansers (like cetaphil). Also as far as makeup goes you really do get what you pay for. You need to get a professional makeover and invest in the best makeup you can. And it IS an investment. You take care of your skin and it will take care of you

dbon99
12-30-2003, 09:44 AM
my skin is so pale people have said i look "almost albino." so, frustratingly, every time i go to the store and buy the *lightest* foundation i can find, it is WAY too dark and orangey/fake-looking.

i have oily AND flaky skin, if that makes any sense...i have tried the all-natural/organic cleansers and such but they do not make much of a difference (most of them don't help w/acne either :()

the flakes are always on my nose, no matter how hard/often i scrub and how much (and with what) i moisturize. i have never tanned, and never plan on doing so. i stay away from sunlight...

also, when i put make-up on top of moisturizer, the moisturizer tends to flake off...maybe it's just cheap moisturizer, or maybe it's just me...

i don't know if there is a problem with my skin or i'm not moisturizing enough (haven't moisturized in awhile) or what, but no matter how much i blend my foundation, it makes little stripes on my face...again, maybe it's just crappy make-up though...

SO, as you all can imagine, when i try to put make-up on in the morning i end up with skin flakes, lines, and orange skin. :eek: disgusting huh?

can anyone recommend a good moisturizer (no d.i.y. please) for me that will not clog pores or make my skin "shiny?" preferrably something you can buy at a store like target or walmart...

i need a good scrub as well...i would prefer cleansing cloths over the kind that comes in a tube...but either one is fine.

and also, a good foundation for super-pasty people that will stay put all day?

thanks for helping the make-up disaster victim ;)

Sounds like you got lots of good makeup and product advice already. I'll throw in my two cents, and let you know what works for me.

-for your nose flakiness, try an antifungal cream, and wash that area 2x a wk with anti-dandruff shampoo (Head and Shoulders is good), or a purifying shampoo with tea tree oil (Rusk makes a good one). The shampoos can be harsh, so go easy, but it will probably clear up your flakes. I had flakes on and around my nose from the age of 12 til I turned 30 and finally got some good advice from a top dermatologist. It worked almost immediately. Purifying and anti-dandruff shampoos with help unclog oil from pores, and will clear up the resulting flakes.

-gently scrub your face daily. use whatever you prefer.. I love scrubs in tubes, but whatever works for you is great. even a warm, wet facecloth works well. Follow with a light moisturizer (penetrates better than a cream, and doesn't leave you oily).

-Olay sensitive moisturizer is nice. I follow it with a little Almay oil-free foundation. I dab it over only the areas I need coverage (nose-chin-upper lip-under eyes), then blend it in with moistened fingertips, to get it to blend a little better into my drier, flakier areas. I then gently blot (not rub) my face with a lint-free tissue (love Scotties) to get a nice, soft, finished look. Dust your oily areas with pure cornstarch (from the grocery store) if you wish, to keep oil at bay.

-a toner with salicyclic acid keeps my skin smooth, and whisks away little flakes. I love Clean and Clear, the light blue one (can't remember what type it is). I use it once a day after I cleanse with Olay sensitive skin cleanser (at night). Salicyclic acid not only helps calm sensitive skin, it also helps fight little wrinkles. Don't use it too close to your eyes though.

-Ponds Age defying treatment in the jar works absolute wonders. Use it once and you will wake up the next morning glowing, I swear. I have tried so many things, including the Perricone products and other fancy, expensive treatments. I keep going back to good old Ponds for my night cream. I use regular strength, which I feel works much better than the sensitive skin version. But starting with the sensitive version may be a good idea. I use it right after my toner.

-i am freakishly pale too! I use a light self tanner 1- 2x a wk and it has made a world of difference. I've tried many and I love Neutrogena tanning foam. Try starting with the lightest color available. Just remember to moisturize first, and it helps if you scrub first too.

- EDIT--- forgot to say... you don't have to worry about putting tanner on your whole body! Moisturize entire face, front and back of neck, upper chest. Lightly apply tanner to all these areas (don't worry about ears) . Blot it all with a tissue and wash your hands well! It will all blend with your skin tone and look perfectly natural. Just be sure to use a light foam tanner.. they seem to be the most subtle of all.

Hope this helps! You are not alone!

gobbleduck
12-30-2003, 06:03 PM
I'm freaky pale and get flakes on my nose too. (One time I was at a department store makeup counter and the sales girl actually told me that they didn't have any foundation pale enough for me!)

Anyway, I like Loreal Airwear foundation in Ivory. It seems to blend with my skin pretty well and stay in place all day. I also like jojoba oil and Aveeno for moisturizers. If your skin is really flaky, you might want to try Almay's Nearly Naked foundation in Nearly Nude. It goes on really light and doesn't seem to accentuate flakes like other foundations can. However, it's not that great at covering blemishes.