PDA

View Full Version : Girls, which makeup (foundation) looks best on problem skin?

siren3
12-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Can someone here please recommend a foundation that looks good on your skin? I think just about any foundation would look good on someone with "perfect" skin, but my skin isn't so great here lately, it just recently became a bit problematic at the age of 23. I would like to find a foundation that is smooth and non-cakey on the skin, to cover some uneveness, a little scarring, and some blackheads, and a small bit of acne that is actually clearing up, but still has some slight red scarring. I guess my skin could be MUCH worse, but compared to how good it used to be, it is a problem for me. I have messed it up in some places by picking and squeezing blackheads, and that can cause enlarged pores and little scars, so I would like a good foundation for that. I am going to start Jojoba oil soon, and maybe something else, also am using Apple Cider vinegar, which helps pretty good, but while I'm "fixing" my skin I would like some decent makeup, too. The confusing thing is that my skin was always oily or slightly oily, but now it is starting to peel in some places, mostly the outer edges of my face and some of my cheek, I think it's due to using the wrong cleansers, creams and harsh things like that, and my T-Zone is still slightly oily, and I still sometimes get enlarged pores there and on my cheeks. So would you recommend anything based on what I've described? Is it better to use more or less when it comes to these problems? I would like to use less, but if it takes more than I will. Any other makeup tips for these problems? Also, I can't really purchase any of the MAC line now, I've heard it's really good, but just can't get something real expensive now, so if you know of anything else that is good, please let me know. (by the way, Cover Girl "Clean" foundation works horribly on me right now, also I don't want to use anything drying at all, nothing with "acne medicine" in it.) Thanks a lot for any help, I'd SO very much appreciate it!

guns2323
12-18-2003, 05:22 PM
most people find aromaleigh to be great.... it's the cheapest among JI, BE mineral powders... just do a search on this forum or on yahoo for more info. good luck.

Abbey32
12-18-2003, 05:24 PM
How about mineral makeup? Bare Minerals or there are lots of other mineral makeups. I have tried Bare Minerals and it does cover great. But I found that you should use a cream makeup under your eye area as Bare Minerals was kind of settling into the lines under the eyes. Use a light moisterizer under the makeup, that helps.

I also would recommend Mojave Magic's industrial strength concealer. It covers great and it's not cakey. Both of these products are sold on qvc.com

I don't like drug store brands anymore, now that I have found professional stuff.

As far as cost...these are more expensive but worth it and Bare Minerals has a little trial type kit on qvc.com for about $22...you get the foundation, the warmth and the mineral veil which is a light powder you put on over the foundation. You can read about it over on that site too. Lots of things to chose from.

mossimo
12-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Get the MAC full coverage foundation. That stuff is real quality! It really is worth the money. The compact costs about $30, but it lasts a long time! I have one that I've been using for over a year. I used to go through cheaper foundations like crazy because I always needed to reapply constantly...I probably spent about $30 every month or so on restocking my foundation...so you really do end up saving money on the MAC in the long run. You should really consider it. It is a GREAT foundation for bad skin. It lasts all day and it hides everything!

siren3
12-18-2003, 08:41 PM
(Sorry my posts are so long! It's a curse of typing too fast! :rolleyes: :D )

Guns and Abbey, thanks for the suggestions about the mineral makeup, but I have actually seen a little info about that kind of makeup and it just does not appeal to me. It seems like it would be just too much hassle, because I really like things very simple. That's why I also don't wear concealer, it's too much time to apply all that junk, but also because I don't think I really need concealer. So, I guess my skin isn't actually THAT bad, I just make it sound worse than it is probably. I know there are people who have much worse skin problems than mine and I probably shouldn't even worry about it, but I guess I'm picky and just see every flaw magnified, especially when I see it outside in the sunlight, but when I'm inside it looks much better, I hate that!! Well, thanks for the suggestions anyway.

And to Mossimo, I might give in and purchase MAC foundation someday (eventhough it seems so expensive to me!), but I also do not want a really full coverage look. Because, eventhough I have little scars, blackheads and other flaws, my skin actually does glow sometimes and everyone always says how young I look, so I'm afraid of completely covering up my natural glow, but I want to cover up the bad spots and even out the pores with some sort of makeup that at least does a decently smooth job. I'm afraid "full coverage" stuff would make me look too unlike myself. Does MAC have a line of foundation that looks very smooth, evens out the pores, and basically looks natural? In other words, I don't want to be unrecognizable when I take off my makeup. Haha. Or do you know of anything else out there? Thanks for the help. :)

mossimo
12-19-2003, 06:43 AM
And to Mossimo, I might give in and purchase MAC foundation someday (eventhough it seems so expensive to me!), but I also do not want a really full coverage look. Because, eventhough I have little scars, blackheads and other flaws, my skin actually does glow sometimes and everyone always says how young I look, so I'm afraid of completely covering up my natural glow, but I want to cover up the bad spots and even out the pores with some sort of makeup that at least does a decently smooth job. I'm afraid "full coverage" stuff would make me look too unlike myself. Does MAC have a line of foundation that looks very smooth, evens out the pores, and basically looks natural? In other words, I don't want to be unrecognizable when I take off my makeup. Haha. Or do you know of anything else out there? Thanks for the help. :)

MAC has a whole line of different foundations. You don't have to get just the full coverage. The full coverage was good for me because I had really bad skin. It is pretty heavy though, so unless you have a lot to hide you may not want it. Since I've been on accutane and my skin's cleared up I started using MAC's liquid foundation (which is very light) and a powder and am very happy with it. You could probably get away with most types of liquid foundation and powder, they all are relatively the same...but I was recommending the full coverage because I don't know of many products that are as good as hiding bad acne. If your skin isn't that bad you have a lot more options.

Joy_1515
12-19-2003, 08:52 AM
About MAC makeup, it is of very good quaility but i'll warn you for some of the liquid foundations you will have to cake it on. Most of the powders are made for people with only a moderate amount of blemishes because the powders more smooth the face out rather than cover.

Also ive tried using MAC conceler and another problem i noticed is that my face gets VERY Oilly looking soon after i apply the conceler which i guess is the reason why they usually sell me a the compact powder to go with it. But then you have to add just as much powder as conceler to dry up some of the oilliness
This may just be MY problem though as my skin is very oilly around the T-zone but i feel the make-up makes it look twice as bad. i HATE Caking on make up and all the oil makes my skin break out even worst when i use it daily.

To be honest i think mossimo has the right plan and thats what i plan to do. Wait till your skin clears up a little and let some scars fade if you have any. Then use some of the Lighter mac products. It does make you look beautiful but its more effective on those with pretty good skin.

My best friend uses MAC religiously it makes her skin look so perfect and smooth she litterally looks like she's been airbrushed.

And if cost is a factor, she goes only to EBAY to buy her mac products. It may be a little difficult but mossimo is right they last a very long time so when ever you see your exact skin color up for auction just buy it and store it for when your present stash runs out. You can usually get it for about half the price that way!

Fur-ball
12-19-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi :wave:

I have similar skin to you (some problem areas but overall okay) and also had the problem of finding a foundation that provides enough coverage without looking *caked*. I use L'oreal paris Translucide lasting luminous makeup because it is oil free, contains vitamin C and makes my skin look flawless. I have tried many products and can say that I will continue to use this product. One of the major problems I have with other foundations is that it does not blend well into my skin without practically rubbing it off, this one blends in just like a moisturizer would and provides the coverage I desire.

Just a note: I was also very tempted to try out mac products but recommended by close friend who is an esthetician that they can be *greasy* looking, thick and clog your pores.

Anyways... good luck! I hope you find a product you like without draining your wallet. :)

Paris

neko13
12-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Definitely Jane Iredale. It's pricey, but it's worth it because it won't clog your pores or irritate your skin. Plus, the pressed version looks totally matte and natural. It takes away ALL redness in one fast swipe. It's a really phenomenal makeup. It's the ONLY foundation I will use! :)

Banana1214
12-19-2003, 08:59 PM
When my acne was moderate and made me self-conscious, I used a lot of foundation, which I think only made things worse. About 6 months ago, I started using Paula's Choice (just search for it and you'll find it). I use the toner, the BHA and the BP. These things really helped clear my skin and now it's probably about where yours is -- a few problems here and there, some red scars, but overall ok. Then I tried Paula's make-up. I decided I didn't need a full face of foundation anymore, and ordered just her concealer and SPF 15 pressed powder, which is slightly moist and offers just enough coverage to make my skin look clear and make me feel confident. Since her products are made without all that crap that drugstore and even department store brands contain, the make-up itself is helping my skin, as well. I'm sorry to go on so long about Paula, but her skin care line and make-up have made me a much happier person! You might want to try it.

neko13
12-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Banana, I know how you feel about Paula's Choice products. My skin has benefited 100% from her products too! :) I especially love the BHAs. Her AHA, Blemish Fighting Solutions, and cleansers are very good as well.

I don't use her foundation, but I've tried several of her blushes (you can get free samples of all these shades, too!) ;) They are excellent in quality, last a long time without fading, and blend very naturally. Plus, they don't break me out! :D

DeeDeeWith3
12-20-2003, 12:36 PM
I hate to be the one to blow the whistle, but I DID break out from MAC, despite some fans of it here. Once again, everyone is different and I thought it just fair to mention it. Glad it's working for some however.

I'm back to my Mary Kay medium coverage foundation......I use this in the winter and B.E. in the summer. No break outs to speak of and a decent color match for me.

sandysandy
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Mineral make-up is amazing, I use bareminerals

evah
09-14-2010, 12:11 PM
why dont you try out the Jane Iredale amazing base .. really its great, you can still see your own skin through it almost as though your not wearing any make up at all! it lets your skin breath without clogging up your pores I got some samples of this to try from "Spa 2 u direct" or even try out the dream tint x