PDA

View Full Version : Methadone or Suboxone?

DCV
12-29-2003, 10:15 AM
I've been becoming curious about suboxone treatment but my docotor's nurse thinks methadone might be the way to go for my situation? What's the difference?

rockingham
12-29-2003, 03:29 PM
methadone is used to treat addiction. a drug history will get taken. a physical. about $75/week in fees. if you qualify you will have to drive to the clinic each day for your dose. the clinic will work with you on acquiring the skills needed to live without drugs in your life. this is a good first look at what a methadone program is comprised of.

rlcowboy
12-31-2003, 12:59 PM
Hey, I would think that the sub. is way better than the methadone!! The methadone is 10 times harder to get off of than pain meds.! I saw what Rockingham wrote, but I know my pain managment doctor offered to put me on it instead of oxycontin, so it was'nt to get me off the pain meds, it was for chronic pain. Anyway so I do know they can give it to you in pill forms and you may not have to go to a clinic every day to get it, cause what if you couldnt get there one day or you got sick, just dont make to much since to me to go to a clinic for a daily dose, ya know?

chefob1
12-31-2003, 03:21 PM
i take 60mg of meth a day for chronic back/addiction...it comes in pill form...at the clinic they give it to you in juice..i did that route also a long time ago...i see my doc every week and get a script...i was on buprenex for 4 years...thats the parental drug of suboxone/subutex...they are both long acting opiates...meth is stronger and better for pain control...the purpose of both of the drugs is to treatr pain/or addiction...meth is better and stronger for pain...bupe has a cieling effect...take so much and afyter that you will not feel any analgesic effects...dont let anyone kid you..all opiates,every single one is difficult to get off of/every one has w/d effects and they are comparable in unpleasant effects that go along with w/d's...they are both maintance drugs to get you going into the directoion of sobriety if you wish to become undependant but both have long service needs...meaning they both will take a long time to get off of.....chef

rockingham
12-31-2003, 05:56 PM
based on what ive read on you DCV please DO NOT begin a methadone maintenance treatment [MMT] program. you are practically clean compared to the majority of those in methadone programs. you would be increasing your dependance in MMT believe it or not. i was/am a heroin addict. shooting up every day on anything i could get my hands on. IV addict. i am thankful i got into MMT. i would be out in the world stealing from my own family if i hadnt made this choice. i just dont see your level of addiction being what is recommended for getting into methadone treatment. chef is preaching the gospel on opiates. you dont want to go this route. take some time researching withdrawal and get a plan together and kick your habit DCV! i KNOW you can do this. go DCV!!!

rlcowboy
12-31-2003, 06:44 PM
I really agree with Rockingham, you should really do research on your own so you have the facts about methadone so then you can talk more with a doctor, but also I would only go that route as a last resort because once you are on it, you are on it, and withdrawals from the meth can last up to 6 to 8 weeks where as pain killer w/ds only last about 6 to 8 days, well the worst physical part anyway. I wouldnt jump in to it unless you had to!

DCV
01-01-2004, 07:23 AM
I think your right guys....