PDA

View Full Version : questions re insurance and costs of detox

rosietee
01-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Okay, I know someone has told me that the $1250 for the 1-week outpatient program is steep. But they also told me that they sell the subutex pills at wholesale (I think $3-5 a pill?). They don't bill to insurance but give you a bill you can submit. I am thinking that I don't want insurance to find out about this. I have already been quoted an elevated price for life insurance and if this gets on my record, I might never be able to get it. Would maintenance afterwards be cost-effective at this place, if I decide to stay on ths sub? The after-program visits are about $125 I think. I haven't decided for sure, but just wanted to get everyone's take on the prices and the insurance issue.

thank you all,
Rose

Banker
01-05-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm not familiar with your story but have you looked up to see what Suboxone/Subutex doctors are in your area? You might can go see one of them and they can prescribe the Sub right off the bat instead of you going into a treatment center. I started on Suboxone on Dec 1st and have been doing really well ever since. I just went to a sub doctor. He charged me $135 for the office visit and my insurance covers the sub all except for around $35. VERY well worth it in my opinion. Others think the Sub isn't a good route unless you plan on staying on it for life. I plan on staying on it for a while... Let us know your plans.

rosietee
01-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Banker, how much sub did you get at a time? How often will you have to go to the doctor? The center I looked into is outpatient. There are not too many doctors that are that close to me.

Thanks, rose

KIMBEE
01-05-2004, 04:33 PM
My insurance also covers my treatment. Ditto, well worth it!! My doc. charges 100 dollars a visit. I pay 30 dollars of that and 15 dollars for my meds. I get 30 8 mgs. a month. Money well spent! Hope this helps some. I also drive out of state for my Suboxone. I have a wonderful doc. Hes worth the drive. The docs where I live dont do maintenance, only detox.

rosietee
01-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks, Kimbee, for the info. I did call around and there are some places that won't do maintenance. There is a guy who is about an hour away who does maintenance--first visit is $350, then subsequent visits are $100. I just am afraid of insurance finding out. I work for a small business and it is a little harder to get insurance. Also, there is the life insurance issue, where I have been unable to get a good rate. The funny thing is, I did see this same shrink years ago after my first husband committed suicide, and quit seeing him after he told me that no one likes to be around depressed people or something to that effect. OF course, at the time, I was crying all the time. Anyway, thanks again, I will keep you guys posted. I am so proud of you guys who have already taken the step. I am very interested in the anti-depressant effects, but am afraid of the stigma on my insurance bill. So we'll see.

Rose

Banker
01-05-2004, 05:53 PM
I go monthly and get 60 8 mgs. However, I don't take that many... I only take between 8 and 10 mgs per day. I'm with Kimbee... If I had to drive 4 hours, I would do it. I think of it this way... If I was going to get a month's supply of lortabs... How far would I drive for those if I was out and had no way to get them... probably farther than that. So you have to go to the doctor every day for the first week? Is that how it works?

rosietee
01-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Hey, Banker, what you say about the travel is so so true. But, no the $350 guy you only see once for that price. Then you go every month for $100 a pop, plus you have to get the pills at a pharmacy.

The $1250 place you go every day for a week, plus get blood test and drugs included. Then for the expensive place it's $125 per visit every couple weeks at first, then monthly and they supply drugs at wholesale prices and you don't have to hunt it down at a pharmacy.

Rose