PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil for the face

luv2sing
01-11-2004, 11:13 AM
I was just wondering something today: all these companies make products with olive oil to cleanse and moisturize the face, so what would the harm be if I went to the store and bought a bottle of olive oil and used it to moisturize? I mean, would there really be a difference other than saving $$? Because olive oil has been used for centuries and years ago, they used it straight, so why couldn't I? Has anyone tried it?

quincy
01-11-2004, 12:18 PM
No, I haven't tried it....and it shouldn't hurt you at all. Olive oil gets rancid quickly and the bottom line is that it has a definite smell and (to me) could smell offensive.

Try it, let us know how it goes.

What would the problem be for you to purchase products that already have olive oil in them? We're not talking mega bucks.

quincy

luv2sing
01-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Oh I know that Olive Oil products don't cost much...I am just curious :) I'll have to pick up a small bottle and try it :)

siren3
01-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Oh I know that Olive Oil products don't cost much...I am just curious :) I'll have to pick up a small bottle and try it :)

Oh no, please don't just buy any small bottle. It HAS to be "extra virgin" olive oil. This is the greenish colored one. Don't buy the clear kind. Just wanted to warn you. :)

The reason is because extra virgin is cold pressed and that means it isn't as damaged by heat and is more natural, with all the good stuff still left in it. The bottles that just say "olive oil" and have a clear yellowish color would be horrible for your face, there's hardly anything good left in the oil. Extra virgin doesn't cost that much more, either.

By the way, according to the DHC website (a good brand of olive oil skin products), they say to just put a tiny bit in your hands, about a dime size, rub your palms together and then PAT it on the face. I'd make sure your face is slightly damp, too.... I have used olive oil on my face before, for a little while, but I think it clogged my pores after a while. It works for some and not others. I just did not like it that much, plus it smells weird. As far as oils go, I hear that jojoba oil beats them all, because it actually cleans the pores out and moisturizes at the same time, plus you can add other oils to it, and they won't clog your pores when mixed with the jojoba, so I definitely want to try that soon, but it does cost a little more.

luv2sing
01-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Ooo-thanks Siren! I was gonna buy extra virgin oil anyway-I am glad to hear your input. I worked at Body Shop years ago and used to get jojoba oil there and loved it for my face and hair. I think places like Whole Foods carries it now-Body Shop doesn't have the oils lik ethey used to :(

siren3
01-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Ooo-thanks Siren! I was gonna buy extra virgin oil anyway-I am glad to hear your input. I worked at Body Shop years ago and used to get jojoba oil there and loved it for my face and hair. I think places like Whole Foods carries it now-Body Shop doesn't have the oils lik ethey used to :(

You're welcome. :)... Now I have a question for ya, what exactly did jojoba oil do for your skin and hair? I've heard so much good about it, so I'm always looking for more opinions before I buy it myself. But I haven't been able to find it yet, I hope I find it soon!!

P.S. I forgot to tell you... I love that quote you have at the end of your posts!

luv2sing
01-12-2004, 08:23 AM
You're welcome. :)... Now I have a question for ya, what exactly did jojoba oil do for your skin and hair? I've heard so much good about it, so I'm always looking for more opinions before I buy it myself. But I haven't been able to find it yet, I hope I find it soon!!

P.S. I forgot to tell you... I love that quote you have at the end of your posts!

I used it for a pre-shampoo treatment...I put it in my hair, let it sit for 5 minutes,then washed-it's realy good if you have dry hair, or if it's damaged. It's also a good scalp treatment if you have a dry scalp or dandruff. As far as face, my skin is on the dry side and I used it to moisturize-kinda like olive oil is used. From what I have read on it, jojoba oil can be used by all skin types, but as with everything, you have to experiment. Body Shop used to have an excellent jojoba oil shampoo and face moisturizer, but no more :( They changed a lot-that's why I wound up leaving there.

Oh-and the quote in my signature is from a Madonna song :)

luv2sing
01-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Well-an update-so far bso good! I have been using olive oil for a few days now every night and my skin is nice and soft!

Baby_hands
01-15-2004, 09:29 PM
I have a special book thats on making your own facial products, and under "sensitive skin" olive oil was listed as probably the best type of oil for your skin.
I use olive oil as one of my liquid bases when making a facial mask.

I use olive oil, milk and oatmeal, works a dream! All good for sensitive skin.

So yes, olive oil is alright for your skin!