PDA

View Full Version : Cap Highlighting Help

Kitty215
01-21-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm a college student so spending $100 or more every few months on highlights for my hair. I'm planning on growing my hair another 5 inches so it's at the middle of my shoulder bones (it's already quite a few inches past my shoulders already).

In the past I highlighted my hair w/ a cap and the results usually turned out good. I just have a few questions about highlighting my hair now...

1. With longer hair can I still use a cap? I tried one of the ones I have and pulled hair thru... It didn't seem to tangle too much when I pulled it off.

2. I used to use straight bleach to highlight but I was considering using a blonde hair dye instead. (My hair is dyed back to my natural mediumish/lightish brown color. some people might call it dark blonde?) Which is better?

3. How do you retouch cap highlights?? Would I keep highlighting the same way and then put lowlights in w/ the cap when it gets too blonde? I've always wondered about that when it came to highlights...

4. I really like this girl's hair. It's kinda hard to see but here's another place. My hair is about her brown color. I really like her highlights. How would I get them?? Cap, Foils? Using bleach or color?

Abbey32
01-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Using the cap is not good for longer hair. The foil is much better. I never do highlights on my own...way too risky. My hair is also medium brown and when I use at home blonde kits...it turns orange...so I learned my lesson and go to a salon now. I have blond highlights and also some honey...or caramel. I know 100 is a ton...but it's worth it in the end because if you mess up, you will have to pay to fix it anyway.

Kitty215
01-22-2004, 08:41 AM
I'm pretty good at coloring my hair at home. My mom is a cosmetologist so she's helped me learn the rights and wrongs of hair coloring. I've highlighted my hair and my friends hair w/ foils and caps before. I was just curious about techniques and experiences of other people. And I've never used a cap on hair longer than the chin so I was curious. I have seen someone w/ hair down their back get their hair highlighted w/ a cap though so it can't be impossible...

Abbey32
01-22-2004, 08:39 PM
I'n not saying it's impossible but with longer hair, it will tangle. Any good hair dresser will use foils with long hair. I don't see how any one could highlight their own hair if you have to reach the back! :confused: :eek:

Kitty215
01-22-2004, 10:39 PM
I don't see how any one could highlight their own hair if you have to reach the back! :confused: :eek:

A mirror or friend works great for that!

producttramp
01-23-2004, 11:03 AM
1. With longer hair can I still use a cap? I tried one of the ones I have and pulled hair thru... It didn't seem to tangle too much when I pulled it off.
YES of course you can still use it. I have done hilites with hair at the bra strap thru a cap. Brush hair out well b4 putting cap on, use powder inside the cap, then when you go to remove it make sure to use lots of conditioner or shampoo suds (I like conditioner, has more slip) then pull the cap off.

2. I used to use straight bleach to highlight but I was considering using a blonde hair dye instead. (My hair is dyed back to my natural mediumish/lightish brown color. some people might call it dark blonde?) Which is better?
Bleach will lift color, color doesnt lift color.

3. How do you retouch cap highlights?? Would I keep highlighting the same way and then put lowlights in w/ the cap when it gets too blonde? I've always wondered about that when it came to highlights...
You can use a loop method by pulling a loop of hair through.

Since your hair is already processed be sure to use a good deep conditoner at least 1x week and regular trims.

Kitty215
01-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. You can lift color with color though.