PDA

View Full Version : I got the meds to help with withdrawls, so I guess tomorrow is the big day!

Creeky
01-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well tomorrow is the big day! I am going to go cold turkey and be done with this addiction once and for all. I think I got all the meds that I need, to help me get through this nightmare.

I got very lucky and didn't have to go through my doctor to get the medication, so I didn't have to tell him anything about my addiction. I was reading a post that DVC had written to someone, and in his post he had mentioned that he went to several people for help, including, his Psychiatrist. So, I decided to go that route because my Psychiatrist is already aware of my addiction, and I know he would be willing to help me. He insist that my addiction is contributing to my depression and has told me on several occasions that he would like to see me get off the percocets so the antidepressents can do thier job. So, in the end, he wrote me 6 prescriptions to help with the withdrawls.

These are the prescriptions that he gave me:

Motrin 800 mg for pain,
Clonidine HCL 0.1 mg for blood pressure,
Bentyl 20mg for abdominal cramps,
Tigan for nausea & vomiting
Trazodone 50 mg for sleep.

Hey gang, please tell me if these are going to help me with the withdrawls and if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. Oh one more thing, I called and asked my regular doctor to call me in a refill for my Soma and Ambien, so that can be added to my list. If you guys can think of anything that helped you or I didn't list, I am open for suggestions.

This has been a long trying road for me, and hopefully I will finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. This is going to be the hardest and scariest thing I have ever faced and I need all the support I can get right now. The funny thing about all of this is, I don't know why I am so scared. Maybe its this crazy thought in the back of my mind, that the withdrawls are going to kill me. Does anyone know if this can happen? Can anyone described what day 1, day 2,
day 3 and day 4 is going to be like? Maybe I would feel better if I knew what I was going to go through.

I would appreciate any input that you guys could give me. I would also like to thank you for all the support that you guys have shown me. I have never needed the support like I need now, and you guys already got me through one hurdle, can you help me get through this one?

God Bless & Thank You,
~Creeky

John 808
01-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Creeky,

I am so proud that you were able to get some meds and by-pass your regular doctor altogether. Most of what he gave you should help. I'll just tell you my experience from cold-turkey, but remember, everyone is different:

Day 1- After my last dose of hydro's I slept for two or three hours..HARD! When I woke up, I felt the slight beginning of withdrawals. My eyes felt very funny (extremely dialated) and had the shakes a little. By that night, withdrawals were full blown. Hit the hot-tub and took some Advil and an Ambien but did not sleep hardly any due to the sweats and chills. I ended up on the computer most of the night/morning. I literally did not think I could make it through my shower because I was so weak and my arms felt to tired to even wash my hair and ofcourse I am crying this whole time!

Day 2- This day was the worst for me! I had the shakes extremely bad and had to take Xanax about every 4-6 hours to keep those "in tow." I also had the sweats and chills so bad! I dozed some throughout the day due to the Xanax. I stayed in the hot-tub alot, too. Had no appetite and had to force some food here and there. The overwhelming feeling of "I can't do this..." was all I could think about and crying, crying , crying! Again, took Advil and Ambien and still got very little sleep.

Day 3- A tad bit better today. My stomach was finally starting to settle (forgot to mention how upset my stomach was the first couple of days) and the sweat and chills were subsiding just a little. Still had the shakes and continued to use my Xanax as needed. Was able to eat some soup on this day and go for a little walk.

Day 4- Better! Was able to shower and dress (without crying the whole time) and make it to Barnes and Noble (just to get out). The sweats and chills were about gone and the shakes were starting to subside and my appetite was picking up just a little. Was able to sleep a little this night (with the help of Advil and Ambien) and that encouraged me alot!

By Day 5 and 6 and so on, each day got a little better. The depression was a big downer for me, so, you may want to get on an anti-depressant if you aren't already on one! That is eventually why I went back to using- I was so depressed!

If you can make it through the first three or four days, you will be okay physically and NO, you cannot die from this! The Soma will help with the restlessness (I didn't have these, but wish I had)! Don't forget to get some Immodium AD and L-Tyrosine (both over the counter). Will your doctor give you a week's worth of Xanax or Valium? This was a lifesaver for me because I got the shakes SO BAD and felt like I was crawling out of my skin! You may want to ask!

Good luck and God bless! I know you can do this...just hang in there a few days and know it will be over soon (even though it doesn't feel like it), but it will, I promise! My thoughts and prayers will be with you,
Michelle

Creeky
01-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi John 3:16

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Michelle, you are such a sweetheart! You will never know how much I appreciate all the great advice you have giving me so far. I really appreciate the advice you gave me about telling my doctor, because things worked out better this way. You stopped me from making a huge mistake, because I like you don't have a very understanding doctor.

As far as the Immodium goes, my Psychiatrist wrote me a prescription for that. I guess it is not the same Immodium that you get from over the counter. I think it might be prescription strength? I dunno. I guess I forgot to add that to my list of meds. I can't beleive how many pills I have to take to get through the withdrawls, so the withdrawls must be pretty bad.

Michelle, did anyone ever tell you that you have a very good way of describing things? Your description of going through the withdrawls scared the sh** out of me! I hope I can get through this! I have already been crying and I haven't even started yet! I am really, really scared.

I don't mean to keep asking you questions but, I have heard that when you stop taking percocets or any kind of pain pills, that you have to be careful of your blood pressure. Is this true? What happens? Does your blood pressure go up or down? Did you take anything for your blood pressure when you were going through the withdrawls? I have read a lot of posts and I haven't heard anyone mention this. Also, what do you mean by the feeling of wanting to crawl out of your skin? Questions, Questions, Questions!

On another note, how are you? I have read all of your posts and I am sorry that you had to go through the things that you went through. Are you still taking the sub every 4-5 days? Do you think you will ever be able to get off of it? My heart goes out to you and everyone else who is going through this. I wouldn't wish this addiction on my worst enemy!

Michelle, again, thank you for your support and all of your great advice. Most of all, thank you for stopping me from making a big mistake! I think it all worked out in the long run.

God Bless & Take Care,
~Creeky

John 808
01-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Hey again Creeky,

Yeah, that was one thing I forgot to mention- the blood pressure situaiton. Your blood pressure goes way up and I think that is the culprit for the shakes, sweats, and chills. ALOT of people recommend using a "Catapress Patch" for three our four days to regulate your blood pressue and some swear that it eliminates some of the other withdrawal symptoms! I did not have this throughout my cold-turkey scenario and wish that I would have, so, that may be something else you could ask your doctor for!

I promise I didn't mean to scare you, but I would have loved for someone to tell me what to expect when I was about to face my withdrawals, so that's what I did with you. I am really sorry if I made you anxious or nervous or as you put it, "scared to death." That wasn't my intention- just wanted you to know what you may be in store for and like I said everyone is different- your sitiuation may not be as bad as mine. You may get lucky! :)

I never felt nauseas or vomitted when I was in hydro withdrawals (now, with the sub withdrawals, I vomitted alot)! Yes, I am taking about 2mgs of sub every five days. Not too bad, huh? Hopefully, I will be completely off in a couple of months. I still crave though- all the time. I have always craved- even when I was on a high dose of the sub which is almost unheard of. Don't know what is wrong with me?

Look, you CAN DO THIS! It is just three or four days out of your entire life and you will be so very glad in the long run that you are free from these little devils! I re-read where you are on an anti-depressant, so you will have a "heads up" when the depression rears its ugly head. What are you on? I am on Lexapro- it has helped- I think! This will all be a bad memory one day and hopefully you can learn from it and help others- that's the way I have to look at it. You never know what kind of impact you may make one day! :)

Hang in there and my prayers will definately be with you,
Michelle

spark-o-cet
01-23-2004, 09:34 PM
creek you WILL NOT die from the w/ds so get tough and get it over with.the meds you got will help some but they will not do very much im afraid.the clonidine is the best thing that you listed.the script for immodium you may want to watch this as even over the counter immodium has a weak opiate in it to stop the runs so if this is prescribed then it may be stronger opiate in it i dont know.figure on 2weeks at least before you will feel like getting out and goin and doin.good luck you can do this the hard part comes when the w/ds are over with and the little voice starts talkin to ya-spark

John 808
01-23-2004, 09:40 PM
Oh Creeky,

I advised you to ask for a "catapress patch" and I forgot that he gave you the clonidine (basically the same thing- a blood pressure med). Sorry, so, you are covered with the exception of maybe a benzo (Xanax or Valium) maybe. Others have made it without those, but it helped me tremendously with the shakes and crawling out of skin feeling.....

You are covered, girl! Now, just buckle down and do this! :)

Take care and post me ANYTIME you need to,
Michelle

Pretender
01-23-2004, 10:22 PM
That takes a lot of courage! Creeky, God bless; you are in my prayers.I wish I could beat this addiction/dependence on the junk.

Creeky
01-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Hi Spark,

Thank you for responding to my post! I know I need to get tough and get it over with, but I can't help being afraid. Everyone keeps reinsuring me that you can't die from withdrawls, but the thought is still in the back of my mind.

Spark, I hope you don't mind me asking you this, but, what are you addicted to, and how long have you been using? Could you please describe to me what your withdrawls were like and how long it lasted? What withdrawl symptom bothered you the most? What medications did you use when you went cold turkey?

Spark, are you still taking the sub? Are you going to try and get off the sub
all together?

One more thing spark, I wanted to thank you and let you know I am very greatful that you have been very supportive to me, and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart!

God Bless,
~Creeky

Creeky
01-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Hi Pretender,

Thank you for responding to my post, that was very nice of you and thank you for all of the kind words.

Please do keep me in your prayers because I could use all the prayers that I can get.

God Bless
~Creeky

samilam
01-24-2004, 05:01 AM
Creeky,
Good 4 you!
You made a great step! I hope the road is a short one, let us know how its going.
Sam

spark-o-cet
01-24-2004, 05:06 AM
headed to work but i will get back to you later creek-spark

chefob1
01-24-2004, 05:33 AM
i wouldnt take the ambien/soma with the trazadone..its a antidepressant that will help you sleep for sure..clonidine will help with the blood pressure elevating cause of the w/d's....follow the docs directions and best of luck...no/zippo relapses if you can....chef

lisaaahubb
01-24-2004, 09:18 AM
It probably won't be all that bad with the meds that the doctor gave you....I wish you the best of luck and just know that each minute, hour, and days that pass you are making progress. Post when you need to...we are all here for you. I will be praying for you to have a speedy recovery...
LISA

John 808
01-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Creeky,

How are you? Please check in with me and tell me what you are going through- maybe I can help!

Hang in there,
Michelle

lisaaahubb
01-24-2004, 06:52 PM
How are you doing Creeky???? Post when you feel up to it. Hang in there!
LISA :wave:

Murphy555
01-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Creeky,

Just reading that you are about to go through W/D?

The stuff that you Dr. gave you - is the standard stuff that any inpatient or outpatient treatment center would have given you to help you get through your withdrawals with minimal suffering.

My Dr. also was anxious to see me get off of the pills, so he could assess how my antidperessants were working for the depression.

Everybody is different in how they react to all sorts of pills.
For me - with the clonidine (patch); as Michelle said part of w/d your blood pressure does sky rocket which makes you feel like you're gonna jump out of your skin, RLS, etc. but the clonidine will lower your blood pressure and as he once explained to me decrease parasympathetic symptoms (I know big word) that is so uncomfortable during w/d.

For the 2 detoxes I went through - 1 inpatient another outpatient I had the clonidine patch both times. It lowered my blood pressure 80/60 and I just couldn't stay awake at all. I pretty much slept through the worst of my w/d - both times. But it also made me quite dysfunctional.

The 3rd detox the hospital gave me 2 mg suboxone 10 hours after my last pill when i first started withdrawals; and it took it all away. But that's a whole other story here!

Good luck - Take some time off and do it. You'll be alright. You'll someday be on some board telling someone your past experiences on how you stopped taking narcotics! Good luck~

Murphy

Banker
01-24-2004, 11:23 PM
I think you are going to be just fine. The clonidine will make you sleepy... VERY sleepy. My doctor told me that if I was going to take the Clonidine, that I would need help w/the kids, etc.

Also, my c/t experiences have been a little different. On the morning of the 4th day, I started to feel pretty good again. I could take care of the kids and work. I can't tell you how many times I did c/t and had to work, kids, and everything else. It was tough but w/your medications... you will be much better off. I was taking about 20 lortab per day. Anyway, let us know how you are feeling. We are all praying for you!