PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil as cleanser?

britrose
02-02-2004, 07:44 AM
I have terrible breakouts on my face due to dry and sensitive skin. This has just been in the last couple of yrs. I havehad dermatitis all my life but my face hasn't been as affected as it is now. I am taking allergy meds. and Atarax for the itching. I'm trying to figure out what is causing my face to break out. I use Eucerin for the moisturiser and don't think that's it but haven't used it in a couple of days, using Vaseling, to see if it makes a difference. It hasn't. I use Cetaphil for the cleaser. Could this be it?
I've heard Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a good cleanser, especially if your skin is dry and sensitive.
Has anyone with similar problems tried this?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm tired of hiding away when i'm broke out.
Thanks.

surrealmeal
02-02-2004, 11:36 AM
I highly recommend 100% Jojoba oil. Check out the "Skin Problems" board and search for "jojoba oil", and especially postings by Marti. I have acne prone, dry, sensitive skin and have been using jojoba oil for a few weeks and it is SO much better. If i'm remembering correctly, Marti uses jojoba oil as a cleanser, so check out that board. :)

Xxbabydoll
02-02-2004, 01:33 PM
I highly recommend 100% Jojoba oil. Check out the "Skin Problems" board and search for "jojoba oil", and especially postings by Marti. I have acne prone, dry, sensitive skin and have been using jojoba oil for a few weeks and it is SO much better. If i'm remembering correctly, Marti uses jojoba oil as a cleanser, so check out that board. :)

wow sounds very interesting.. i have combination skin and it is acne-prone..can i use jojoba oil? will it get rid of acne ? or will it make it worse?

surrealmeal
02-02-2004, 07:28 PM
wow sounds very interesting.. i have combination skin and it is acne-prone..can i use jojoba oil? will it get rid of acne ? or will it make it worse?

Yes you can use jojoba oil with acne. It's an awesome moisturizer and it gets into the pores to help clean them out. The past few weeks of using it my skin looks SO good. I've had no new breakouts--even right before my period! (That's shocking for me). Ok ok, so i can't give all the credit to jojoba oil because i take Alesse and drink tons of water everyday so that helps with the acne...BUT ever since i started using jojoba oil my skin has improved. Like i said before, check out the 'skin problems' board for more info.

jojo64
02-03-2004, 08:40 AM
I have acne prone skin and have used jojoba oil for about a year. It's not a miracle product, but it is a good moisturizer which won't clog pores and works well on my skin. It's also good for dry hair.

annie7
02-03-2004, 03:55 PM
I used to use expensive cleansers and moisturizers, now all i use is extra virgin olive oil. I use it everywhere; feet, elbows sometimes my hands. I love it. I'm 52 and people tell my how beautiful my complexion is.

Mara
02-04-2004, 01:11 PM
I use olive oil combined with salt applied in circular motion and left on for a few minutes. This is effective in increasing circulation and seems to help make my skin supple and smooth which is not easy to do these days. I have used several dermatologist tested moisturizers etcetera but they did not help with the dryness or the dry patches. I'm glad I gave it a shot…otherwise I’d be lizard like.
:)

annie7
02-05-2004, 08:05 AM
[Hi Gemi, I'm wondeirng what the salt does to the skin. Isn't it sort of drying? If the salt is used as an abrasive for getting the dead skin off, wouldn't sugar work? I appreciate your post...confirms the benefits of olive oil. thanks

Mara
02-05-2004, 10:35 AM
I do use sugar mix to exfoliate but it does not address the dry skin issues I have. I thought the application of granules would also stimulate natural skin oils to surface and function as they are supposed to but my non T zone areas do tend to remain dry, flake etcetera. When my skin is dry, patchy and flakes, I use the oil and salt for the reasons I mentioned in my first post. Increasing direct circulation in addition to the circular motions in how it is applied. I have dry systemic issues and find this particular application helps my facial skin.

Yes, salt is drying and I immediately thought about the mummification process, however, the oil and moisture is pulled & drawn to & into the skin rather then away from it which runs more in line with a preservation process rather then a curing one! lol...

The oil & salt...The salt helps circulation (I need that) and very dry & dry patch skin (I don’t need that) issues not exfoliation. I'm sure the oil alone is beneficial, but I find it does not absorb as well for me.
:D

Ps: I apply the mix to the face, leave on for 10 - 15 minutes then wash with Cetaphil. When I was younger I had acne. The skin does need to breath. This does not precipitate a break out in my skin. It helped my skin go from dry to supple and soft and perks up the natural blush in my skin. If I don't feel well, I certainly don't want to look ill lol

InfiniteMystery
02-05-2004, 10:42 AM
I used to use expensive cleansers and moisturizers, now all i use is extra virgin olive oil. I use it everywhere; feet, elbows sometimes my hands. I love it. I'm 52 and people tell my how beautiful my complexion is.

Can you use it on your face? Do you just rub it in? Doesn't it end up feeling......... well..... oily? It is olive oil , after all.

Would you recommed it for all types of skin, or just dry? I used to have very bad acne, and now I would say it's combination. I just don't want to start breaking out.

IM :)

annie7
02-05-2004, 12:11 PM
thanks for the explanation gemi....I see how it would work. I have a prescrip for retin a and have used that for years (very, very small amount each night) I wash my face with just water and/or some of the 'bubbles' from my shampoo which is also very mild. In any case, I love the olive oil. thanks again for the posts.

thewind
02-11-2004, 11:07 PM
To use olive oil as a cleanser, use about a teaspoon or less and rub it in all over your face. Massage it in really good, everywhere for a couple of minutes or longer if you desire, just letting it soak in and get down into the pores to clean them out, plus moisturize. BUT make sure you wash it off afterwards with a separate cleanser! Water won't cut it. Make sure it's not a harsh cleanser too! All in all, what people don't know is that oil cleans oil, that's why it will take off all of your makeup, even waterproof, and it has the potential of removing clogged pores. I just started doing this. I've heard that the DHC deep cleansing oil is the greatest though, it is formulated in a special way, wear it rinses off better with water, I want to try it but it is pretty expensive! :)

LL29
02-12-2004, 10:05 AM
I'll have to try the olive oil, but I def. swear by Cetaphil soap as well as the last 5 dermatologists I saw over the last 10 yrs. I didn't have bad acne - I just wanted the covergirl look. LOL

Tazorac is the newest dermatologist recommended anti wrinkling and acne cream - it basically replaced and is less burning than retin A, differin, and renova. I love it but if you're taking birth control pills - of course ask your doctor. I'm on Yasmin bc pills and when I used the Tazorac my face was peelin. The Yasmin dried it out anyway so be careful with whatever meds you may already be taking. A doctor has to prescribe it anyway.

monacks
02-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Well, I used Olive Oil for the first time ever last night. I massaged all over my face and left it on for about 15 minutes. I can't believe how good it works. My pores were clear after. I never have that kind of success with other products. And my skin felt pretty soft too!

weasel
02-14-2004, 11:01 AM
so if you use a regular cleanser after the olive oil, wont it just dry your skin out again? i have the driest skin ever, and go through mosturizer (**** body butter, by the body shop, normally) like crazy. its not just my face, tho, its all of my body, legs, arms, back,etc...........so ill sum up my questions

does using regular cleanser after olive oil minimize its moisturizing effects?

what happens if you just use water to wash it off?

will it work for my whole body?

thewind
02-14-2004, 04:49 PM
yeah it does dry me out afterwards if I use a cleanser, I haven't really figured out what to do yet, because I can't find the right moisturizer yet either (but I'm using one that I hope is okay, meaning I hope it doesn't clog pores, but I'm not crazy about it). But I'm trying to get rid of blackheads so I don't think I can leave the olive oil on my skin. I have the weirdest facial skin right now, it's very dry after I wash it (even though I use a gentle sensitive skin cleanser), but sometimes it's VERY oily in my T-zone and cheeks, especially after waking up in the morning, so I don't know what's wrong. I think if your skin is as dry ALL OVER, as you described, then the reason is probably something wrong on the INSIDE of your body, not the outside, it has to do with bad diet or low fluid intake. Which is exactly what's probably causing my blackheads and any dryness on my face too, but the rest of my skin is very soft... I drink lots of water, but whatever problems I have are probably related to not eating enough fruits and vegetables, so I"m trying to change that... Also I think you're supposed to use a more refined olive oil on the skin, because extra virgin is the first pressing, which isn't as refined or "thin", but the extra virgin is definitely the kind you want to use when eating it (which helps the skin a lot too!), I just don't know if that's the best kind for the face, maybe just virgin olive oil is better, that's what DHC skin care uses, I think. :)

britrose
02-15-2004, 11:19 AM
so if you use a regular cleanser after the olive oil, wont it just dry your skin out again? i have the driest skin ever, and go through mosturizer (**** body butter, by the body shop, normally) like crazy. its not just my face, tho, its all of my body, legs, arms, back,etc...........so ill sum up my questions

does using regular cleanser after olive oil minimize its moisturizing effects?

what happens if you just use water to wash it off?

will it work for my whole body?

If i wear a lot of make up one day i'll use a small amount of cetaphil cleanser afterwards. Yes it does dry you out but i want to make sure all make up gone. i have severly dry, thin skin thats always irritated and bright red due to allergies to something??
For moisturizer i switch between Eucerin and vaseline which are both very heavy but skin very dry. I use Aveeno lotion for body skin which is dry and i have dermatitis.

Tempest
03-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Olive oil is great for the hair too. In the same way, if you put it heavily in your hair and let it sit the wash it out. But also in very very small (couple drops spread on your hands) as a finishing dressing for shine and anti-frizz or before blowdrying or ironing to protect. But remember to start small...you can always add more, but once you get too much in there with five minutes left before leaving for work you are in trouble.