PDA

View Full Version : can i use a wrinkle cream on unwrinkled skin

candy20012
02-20-2004, 04:18 AM
im 28 and started useing wrinkle cream i have no wrinkles or anything tho

0ne of my mates saw i was using it and said that i should,nt use wrinkle creams until i really need it when i get wrinkles

she said that by useing it on young skin will bring out wrinkles earlier than would do coz the cream tightens the skin to hide the wrinkles and where im doing it on unwrinkled skin will just tighten then will become loose makeing wrinkles is this true can anyone tell me ?

rita
02-20-2004, 06:44 AM
im 28 and started useing wrinkle cream i have no wrinkles or anything tho

0ne of my mates saw i was using it and said that i should,nt use wrinkle creams until i really need it when i get wrinkles

she said that by useing it on young skin will bring out wrinkles earlier than would do coz the cream tightens the skin to hide the wrinkles and where im doing it on unwrinkled skin will just tighten then will become loose makeing wrinkles is this true can anyone tell me ?

Baloney.
Wrinkle creams (or better called anti-wrinkle creams) don't work by tightening skin like a drum and then releasing the tension. They work WITHIN the skin to try to repair damage caused by time (aging) and carelessness (exposure to sunlight, chemicals, etc.,). Depending on the ingredients in the cream (and there are numerous ingredients which are used, some more effective than others) the skin usually gets a boost in collagen production (the stuff that supports your skin and keeps it from wrinkling) or improvement in hyperpigmentation ("age spots", blotchiness, malasma) to make the skin look better. If you were to stop using them, your skin would eventually go back to what it looked like before starting the use BUT it would NOT look worse (possibly only better) than before. Some of the creams on the market today may actually prevent new wrinkles from forming so I would go ahead and use the creams and not worry about your friend's statements. Remember though, the BEST cure is PREVENTION and the ONLY proven ingredient to prevent damage to skin is found in SUN BLOCKS and SUNSCREENS when used each and every day before exposure to sun (even on a cloudy day).

Crossbow
02-20-2004, 01:27 PM
I agree: Baloney.

The biggest factor in when you will get wrinkles is your genes. Then the sun. Very little else matters, although lots of air pollution, smoking, and alcaholism will affect it.

sea_blossom
02-22-2004, 01:46 PM
I've heard that, too. What I've been reading in magazines is that AHA's and fruit acids are for repairing skin, and may be too harsh for young skin that doesn't need treatment. I've seen photos of where some products with a large amount of AHAs actually damage the skin cells. I've used a Neutrogena cream that had these ingredients in it, and it burned and irritated my skin. My skin is pretty sensitive, though. I know that many lines are now putting buffers in their products to counteract the harsh AHA's and acids. For instance, my mom bought me a bottle of Joan Rivers perfume, and it came with several samples of her facial products. The lotion has AHA's, but it also has an ingredient in there (forget what it's called right now) that will protect the skin. I used the lotion for about a month, and it didn't bother me at all. It made my skin very smooth and soft. I'm now buying DayWear Plus from Estee Lauder, which contains "multi-protection anti-oxidants" and sunscreen - two ingredients recommended for young skin because they protect from the sun and free radicals. I hesitate to buy anything for "mature skin" or "aging skin" because I'm 22 and I know those products weren't designed with my skin in mind.

Hamer
03-01-2004, 09:16 AM
I agree- If you want to prevent wrinkles, buy a moisturizer with an SPF that protects against UVA and UVB.