PDA

View Full Version : Highlighting brunette hair??

hollandlop
02-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Hi. I know that it is easy for blondes to streak their hair because they can use different shades of blonde and their hair will look more multi dimensional. And often the results look good. But how do u achieve the same effect on brunette hair?

I have dark brown hair and don't know what colors I can highlight it with to make it look more dimensional and not so flat?

GirlHarley
02-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi in the summer do you notice your own hair hilight? What shade?
I have light to med brown hair and during the summer months while swimming and boating in the ocean my hair turns 3 different shades of blondes.

SO during the winter months to give me a boost to my dull looking hair I get a cap done by my hair stylists for soft blonde hilights. You need to find a good hair colorist who knows what he/she is doing & if you want a cap done or a foil. Determine what hilights you have blonde or red.

Hope that helps.

hollandlop
02-26-2004, 07:53 PM
You're lucky that you have light to medium brown hair. I think that is the perfect haircolor to highlight. You can go either darker or lighter and it will still look good. Mine is harder to highlight. I have very dark brown hair and it looks totally flat! In the summer the outer layer does get a little lighter but not much. I don't know if I highlight it to medium brown will it look good?

I was thinking about light brown but don't know if that will look too dramatic. By the way, do you highlight it in large sections and chunks or do you get the one that have real small, even sections throughout your hair?

GirlHarley
02-27-2004, 05:16 AM
HI,
When I first did my hilights I started out very very small chucks using the cap method..I had the poor hairstylist at the time so nervous because I was so nervous have how the outcome would be...It wasn't a big change so I was ready for more..After many different applications big chucks, little chucks, I like the throughout hilights using the Cap Method. I didn't like the Foil Method
but most people to...When I need a touch up I do the Foil Method for top layers only.

Buy Hair Maginzines, look at womans hair types, talk to hair stylists, pick someone you are comfortable with and can trust..Let them know your concerns and what you want and if you don't like it what they can do after the color is done...Be open to their suggestions as well...
Hope this helps. Good Luck..

AnitaPita
02-27-2004, 09:22 AM
I have dark brown hair. When I want to highlight it I go to a slightly higher priced salon in my town...and she usually does 3 different colors...carmel, copper, and another really light brown color. It is more expensive but is definitly worth it because you cannot notice the roots as bad either. If I dont get the mix of the different colors, I feel like the highlights look too "skunky" and it washes my complexion out. I have had highlights done with just the carmel and its not bad until it starts to grow out then it looks horrible. I hope this helps. :)

robste
02-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Hi, I also have very dark brown hair. I know what you mean about it looking "flat". I quit having mine professionally highlighted (because of the high cost) & now, I just use overall haircolor in a dark reddish brown, and it looks pretty good.

If you do want to highlight your dark brown hair, go to a good salon. The color highlights you get also depends on your skintone & what look you're trying to achieve. I have fair skin...the best look in highlights for me is a mixture of both coppery lighter brown and reddish blonde highlights. Big chunks of highlighting to me looks fake on dark brown hair...better to have small strands done. The first time I had it done, I had the foiling procedure, and it was beautiful. But, my hairstylist is expensive...for a wash, cut, haircolor, and highlight...with tip, it cost me about $110.00. Now, you see why I color it myself. Good luck, and let us all know what you decide to do!

Mara
02-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Hi. I know that it is easy for blondes to streak their hair because they can use different shades of blonde and their hair will look more multi dimensional. And often the results look good. But how do u achieve the same effect on brunette hair?

I have dark brown hair and don't know what colors I can highlight it with to make it look more dimensional and not so flat?

There is a somewhat new product & of course I can't think of the name now that offers a dimensional coloring kit with a base color, and I think 2 highlights & it takes several steps. They make it for several hair color base colors, red, blond, brown, auburn. For darker hair, you could deepen and brighten the color. Take a trip down the coloring isle and see what colors they use to highlight or deepen.