PDA

View Full Version : Is Dove bar bad for the face? If so, then WHAT do I use?

siren3
04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
I just don't know what facial cleanser to use anymore. :rolleyes: Would the Dove bar for sensitive skin be harmful or pore clogging? I've always heard it will clog pores terribly, and I have a problem with clogged pores already (at the moment) so I'm scared to use it! I can ONLY buy at drugstores or Wal-Marts/K-Marts right now (seriously). As far as my skin type, it can be sensitve sometimes, and *sometimes* "slightly" dry in some areas, but kinda oily or normal in my t-zone. I can't use Oil of Olay Sensitive Skin Wash, don't know why, but it's a little irritating. Can't use Cetaphil, it doesn't clean make-up good enough and I think it clogs my pores. Tried the St.Ives clear pore cleanser and HOLY COW it dried my skin out!! Tried a few others in the past but can't remember all of them. I just want something simple and easy and non-pore clogging and non-drying and NOT expensive. I used to use the Dove bar on my face a couple years ago , but I can't remember why I stopped using it, I'm afraid it was for some bad reason, maybe not. Anyway, how does the Dove bar work for some of you out there? I was thinking of using a toner afterwards to ensure it wouldn't clog pores, but most toners have alcohol and there's no way I'm using one with alcohol on on my face! Does anyone use the Aveeno bar, what about Purpose? What about Suave? I wish Dove didn't have such a bad reputation!! Well, I hope someone can help me out with suggestions of something simple and gentle and NON pore clogging, I'd really appreciate it!! (I'm having trouble finding moisturizer too, but I'll keep that on separate post, haha. But if you want to list your moisturizer too, please do!) Thanks a whole lot! :)

Saka
04-20-2004, 10:46 PM
I have pretty much the same skin as you. Oily T-Zone, slightly dry cheeks and clogged pores. I've been through so many products in a quest to find one I like and I've found a few things out:

1. Any sort of lathering face wash is too harsh for me. And I would [bold]never[\bold] use any sort of soap on my face. I find a cream cleanser is much gentler.
2. Wash twice when you have make-up on to ensure you get it all off.
3. Using toner has helped keep my oil at bay for the time being. Not sure why.

As for what toner to use, why not try getting some witch hazel. Not sure what brands do and don't contain alcohol but have look and see what you can find.

I'm using Joyce Blok at the moment but it isn't exactly cheap. And I'm not sure how globally available it is.

And also, for my clogged pores, I exfoliate 3 times a week with Nivea Visage Gentle Exfoliating Scrub with the blue moisturising beads in it. It is under $10 and I like it. The Nivea Visage Moisturing Fluid SPF15+ is good too.

Xan
04-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Try using Dove Sensitive Essentials products. They're GREAT! They are Not part of the Essential Nutrients line though; They are a separate line in teal and white boxes w/silver raised Dove logo. Though, the 'sensitive' Essential nutrients might be ok for you too. I've had the same problem in finding the right products and for now my search is over. It has nearly put my rosacea into remission!. I use the liquid cleanser in the shower every morning, the Day Lotion right after,wherever it's dry, the premoistened cloths at night to get my makeup off, and the Night Cream if i need it.

There is no toner or lathering cloths in that line, but they have a tissue-off cleanser. Since you are oilier than me, I suggest finding a 'sensitive' version of a Dove toner. Or you could try a hydrosol. Lemon Balm works very well for me. Helps close the pores and isn't drying or irritating. It smells sooo soothing and refreshing. You mist it on or use a cotton ball. I got it at MountainRoseHerbs online. Lots of nice organic products there, but a little expensive.
I have been oiler lately, because it is getting warmer out. So now I am trying this Clean & Clear Continuous Clean acne cleanser just once a week to stop pimples and reduce the oily buildup i'm getting. It is very strong because it has Benzoyl Peroxide in it. So probably neither of us would be able to use it daily. But that is the stuff that really works for pimples and oil, i'm tellin ya. Salicylic acid just irritates me. At least w/Benzoyl i get some results with my irritation!. But since I have been using the Dove Sens. Essentials for awhile, C&C once a week hasn't been bothering me at all! It's kind of like I built up a defense against other irritants. Come to think of it, I think it said on the packages that it has protective nutrients in it. Finally, a product that does not lie!

surrealmeal
04-25-2004, 12:27 AM
The Dove Unscented bar for Sensitive skin is noncomedogenic. It works awesome for me. Helped clear my skin up--the perfect basic, inexpensive bar.

somuchbetter
04-25-2004, 08:02 AM
my little sister uses dove bar soap on her face and it works really good for her

sidnee74
04-25-2004, 10:30 AM
The aveeno balancing bar worked fabulously for me last summer/fall. It kept me break-out free but didn't dry me out. I tend to have dry, sensitive skin but will break out from time to time and this really did balance it all. It was a little too drying for winter. It removes make-up well, too. And it's cheap!

AnitaPita
04-27-2004, 11:12 AM
I have acne prone skin with lots of blackheads. I started using the Dove Cleansing towelettes along with the Essential Nutrients toner. I couldn't believe how great my skin looked...it gave it a healthy glow and really helped clear my skin. The towelettes are not drying at all. In fact they are very moisturizing...Now that the weather has gotten warmer, I noticed that I am getting more blackheads..I think the Dove does not have enough exfoiliating for me so I bought the Oil of Olay Skin Clearing towelettes. They are more rough, and seem to dry out my skin a bit more, which is what I need. I am still using the Dove toner..I love it. BTW, if you get the towelettes...they are about 6 bucks for 30 of them but one towel is way more than you need. You can cut them in half...thats what I do when I need to remove my makeup, or if I am washing my face with no makeup on, I use 1/4 of a towelette. :)

Shy One
04-27-2004, 10:53 PM
I've never even heard stories of Dove bar being bad acne prone skin. I've been using the Moisturizing bar on my face and it's works fine for me. I break out easily too. If you're looking for a bar soap, I love Dial Antibacterial. It's more drying but it really doesn't matter as long as you use a moisturizer. The one I use is Clean and Clear Shine Control Moisturizer.

joquiero
04-28-2004, 09:07 AM
I use either Basis foaming cleanser or Simple foaming cleanser. For moisture I use Purpose Daily Moisturizer with spf.

siren3
04-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all these replies. I tried the bar out again and I just don't think it's right for my skin (my face), but it still seems alright for my body since most soaps are so drying. Anita Pita, I've been using the Dove toner for a few days now but I"m not decided on whether it's good or not yet because it's been such a short time, it does seem very gentle so far though! I was thinking of getting the cleansing cloths, still haven't decided on that yet either. Well thanks again for the replies everybody! ;)

producttramp
05-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Siren3-
Have you ever tried the NIVEA Visage gel cleanser (its blue)? I really like it, it removes my makeup, cleans but doesnt dry and with my very very sensitive skin doesnt break me out nor dry me up.
I also recently tried a exfoliating cloth from Aveeno which was also very gentle but effective.
Also , though, I have use the Dove bar on my face with no problem, I have extremely sensitive skin and eczema but also combination skin. My dermatologist always recommends Dove to her patients and gives out samples. She told me she uses it herself, so that is good enough for me! :)
Producttramp

sbbeachwalker
05-06-2004, 11:46 PM
For years I have been using a liquid glycerin soap and have been pleased with the results. I think that with so many chemicals in the cleansers and then add sun exposure, people are setting themselves up for uneven skin tones or worse.
In reference to the moisturizers, I was a long-time user of Oil of Olay until I discovered Curel and found that it worked amazingly well on my hands and feet. I read the bottle and it said it is safe for the face so that is what I am using nowadays and am pleased with the results with this as well.

Magpiezoe
05-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Hello, I've tried Dove twice and that was enough for me. My dermatologist recommended it, because I have dry skin in the winter, but he didn't realize that I have oily skin in the summer. I guess it works well for some people, but not me. It makes my skin too oily. Then I get pimples!

I use the old fashioned Noxema. I use the regular, which is kind of hard on some people's skin like my co-worker. There is one for sensative skin, which is too light for my skin, but may work for you. In the winter I use the Noxema skin cleanser with moisturizer and use the regular jar of Noxema in the summer, so my skin keeps a nice balance all year around.

healthbrds21
05-07-2004, 02:01 PM
My favorite cleanser in the world is the famous dermatologist-recommended Cetaphil bar - NOT the milky liquid. The bar 'soap' is an excellent cleanser that doesn't dry out my skin at all or leave it feeling greasy - just soft and smooth. It isn't actually made with any 'soap' at all - just comes in solid form. Plus it's super cheap and lasts forever!

kimzi81
05-09-2004, 03:30 PM
hi siren,
i have oily skin too, and am prone to breakouts.. and just like you i used a bunch of different kinds of facewashes. what works for me is biore's warming deep pore cleanser. its great because it warms up on your skin, opening your pores. it also has exfoliating stuff in it so it removes dead skin cells, and removes makeup really nicely. it doesnt make my skin feel all tight afterwards either. and the best part is, its only 5-7 dollars =)

good luck

fiejenn1
05-26-2004, 05:22 PM
bar soaps...unless noted that they are cleansers for the face....shouldnt be used to clean ur face. they are made up with a lot of waxes...if you used them in the bath and washed ur entire body with it, it will leave a film around ur bathtub....meaning that that film is also on ur face. now if it works for u...then great, but if ur having problems with ur skin and are havin trouble finding a cleanser, i wouldnt run out and get a bar of soap.