PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of brassiness in highlights?

Jo-chan
04-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Hi all,

I've recently had my hair highlighted and I'm struggling to get the color right. My hair is naturally dark brown and I asked for carmel & light blond highlights, and the first time my stylist tried, she didn't give me enough of the lighter color around my face, so I went to see her a second time.

She brought out some swatches of hair and asked me to pick what color I'd like for the ligher highlights and we both agreed on a light beige, which we tested by holding up to my hair. It looked great, so she foiled my hair again and now I have more lighter highlights around my face, but...that light beige color is nowhere to be seen. Instead, the highlights are orangey and brassy - not flattering on me at all.

I'm hesitant to go back to her yet AGAIN, so is there anything I can do on my own to tone down the brassiness? I'm thinking of getting a blue-based toner, but if I do, should I use it all over or just on the top layers, where the highlights are? And if that's not the solution, what else can I try? This brassy color is really embarrasing.

quincy
04-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Hi,

violet based toners are what you need.

But, if you're willing to do it yourself, get a hilighting kit and draw a few around the front and top area (only on the already brassy hilighted ones to get it to a light yellow -- BUT don't go to white). The combination of colours will probably look great.

If you're still seeing too much brassiness, use a shampoo with a violet base or one that helps tone down brassiness.

The blue base won't give you the resuslt you'll need.

Hope this helps.

quincy

Jo-chan
04-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks for replying, quincy. Let me just ask you to clarify - you're suggesting I get a highlighting kit, use it on the areas that are already highlighted to turn them light yellow, THEN use a violet toner? Is that correct? Because I don't want light yellow highlights, either.

I'm not familiar with how to use toner, and I'm assuming I only need to apply it to the highlighted areas, but would it hurt to apply it to my whole head? I'm asking because I'm not sure how I would apply it only to the highlights.

Thanks!

quincy
04-24-2004, 01:05 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking your stylist didn't use bleach, but possibly a colour with a 30 volume peroxide. If this is the case, eventually the colour will fade a bit.

Yes, I was suggesting you to do it yourself...but in hindsight, go back and get the stylist to put on a semipermanent colour in a lighter shade that is violet based to tone down the brassiness.

I hope it works out for you.
quincy