PDA

View Full Version : stool softner

computris2
08-29-2004, 06:24 PM
I have been told that stool softners are habit forming, and will cause your body to depend on them to produce a bowel movement. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Computris2

mel1977
08-30-2004, 01:25 AM
I have heard of this, not from a physician or anyone of the health profession, but I guess it makes sense. I am going through this as well because of the pain meds I am taking. My gma said her doc told her to remember one word: BRAT: Bananas, Rice, Apples and Toast.
A bland diet is good as well.

Streetcar
08-30-2004, 11:18 AM
I've not heard of your body becoming dependent on stool softeners, but it will become dependent on laxatives, which most people that take a stool softener also use. Maybe in the thinking of someone the effects of the two supplemnets got confused?

Hope the info helps.

PBABY
08-31-2004, 07:36 PM
I have to take stool softeners everyday. If I don't, my hemorrhoids act up from me trying to pass my stools. I got hemorrhoids from straining so much and what it turned out to be was me trying to pass "hard" stools. I've had hemorrhoids for about 4 years now, and I just started taking stool softeners everyday now for 2 years. I don't think they're habit forming. Some people-like me-just need them everyday.

computris2
08-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks, my sister-in-law told me they were habit forming. But she like to make life harder on me, to stop me from having comfort. I didn't think they were habit forming, but I wasn't sure. Thank you so much for your help!

:wave:

Jenetti
08-31-2004, 09:51 PM
My own GI doc told me they were not habit forming like laxatives are. Some people just need them to help things go smoother. He said it didn't matter how long you take them as long as you don't combine them with laxatives.
Jen

computris2
09-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Thank you so much Jen! Things do work a little smother. Just call me Mrs. Stool Softner, LOL

:wave: :) :bouncing:

Jenetti
09-02-2004, 12:41 PM
LOL well , from one Mrs. Stool Softner to another, you're very welcomed!! :wave: :D
Jen