PDA

View Full Version : Hemorroid related concern

onlycliff
09-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Greetings All
I am new to the board and let me say that I would greatly appreciate any help or advice that someone could offer.

First let me say that i am a complete and total medi-phobic. I am also a self-diagnosing hyprochondriac. This is not a winning combination. I have only been constipated once because I was on vicodin following surgery for a pilonaidle cyst. NOT fun. I am lactose intolerant though and I'm told my family has a history of having a spastic colon. I don't really know much about that. Having said that, here is the problem.

I am a 32 year old male with those wonderful hemorroids that we all love so much. I seem to have both internal and external. The external I have had for probably around 6 years and it flares up maybe once a year. When the flare up happens - some preparation H, a cold pack and a few baths usually make it subside within a week.

The internal one probably showed up about a year ago because it popped out and i noticed it when wiping. It went right back in within moments after the BM - but it subsequently returned during almost all bowel movements thereafter (hard or soft) but also always went away immediately following. At that point I talked to a client who is a colon and rectal surgeon. He explained basically what was happening and asked about blood or mucous discharge. I told him there was none of either and he said to drink a glass of Citrucel daily for the rest of my life.

I began to do that and within a couple of weeks the internal hemorroid stopped popping out. Shortly after I began to get itchy around the anus from time to time. This bothered me a lot because I felt uncomfortable and unclean. I would wipe to "scratch the itch" and the toilet paper would have a shading of poop on it - as though I had not wiped well after the previous BM.

I dismissed it as being laziness on my part and cut out the citrucel to see if it was what was making me itchy. The itching stopped after that. So I told the nurse at my clients' office that I thought the Citrucel was making me itchy and she said she'd never heard that before but to try switching to Metamucil cookies. She gave me a huge box and they are pretty nasty. But soon the itch came back again - accompanied by needing to clean myself again. So I stopped with the cookies, and the frequency of the itch decreased but did not go away. So this is where I am now.

Is the hemorroid (which is no longer portruding (or maybe the external one) discharging a mucous that is mixing with stool and making me itchy? This itchyness generally occurs within an hour after a random bowel movement and goes away once I re-clean the area. There is no blood and generally no soreness unless I wipe too many times with regular toilet paper. All of my stools pass with ease and rarely require any kind of pushing.

I read an earlier post where someone suggested the hemmoroid was preventing the anus from shutting. Is there any merit to this and could it apply to me?

Thanks in advance. I really don't want to approach my doctor client about this again so I am hoping someone here can help me understand what is going on and what I can do to help it.

C :confused:

bogmallo
09-15-2004, 12:21 AM
The itching is basically due to anal discharge. This usually kicks in with Hemmorroids. Once you cure the Hemms this itching will also go away. Take fibre in your diet and you could also try ligation banding to get rid of the hemms.

:wave:

Jus2
09-17-2004, 06:29 AM
After having Irritable Bowel Syndrome diagnosed I didn't have any bowel movements properly for a week apart from one day when I strained like hell and only got a solid ball which seemed to make me swell up externally.

Now I have a severe Hemorroid problem thats been there for a few days, I have anusol cream which I have started to use the last few days, but doesn't seem to have made much effect.

I also from time to time get a feeling of the Hemorroid deflating and it feels like it has burst and blood is flowing everywhere but this does not seem to happen even though it feels like it. The Hemorroid just seems to completely go away.

If I put my fingers where it is I can feel it has gone, but then I can also feel it what seems to be starting to inflate again, and within about 20 seconds of it going, it's back again? What is happening? It really freaks me out!