PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

tiredofendo
10-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Ok, so I'm 22 years old and have never really had a problem with my bowel movements, until recently. I've been having some rectal bleeding the day before my period starts, as well as constipation while on my period. My last period i actually had some of my period blood come out of my rectum. I saw my gyno and he thinks that my endometriosis has spread to my colon but wants me to see a gastro doc to make sure that it isn't something else. I didn't think I would have to see a gastro until I was receiving a senior citizen discount but here I am about to turn 23 and having to see the gastro doc. What should I expect? This is a whole new world to me and I'm a little scared.

auntjudyg
10-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Oh . . . gastros never were just for the elderly . . . and certainly not nowadays when people are getting some common GI track disorders at earlier and earlier ages.

My guess is the doctor will recommend either a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy to get a better idea of what is going on inside the colon. There may be other tests too . . . the doctor my order something else instead/in addition.

There are a few people who don't agree, but personally I think it is better to know what is going on . . . that's the only way to make sure things are taken care of.

Keep us posted!

cheer up
10-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi "sickofendo":

Your situation sounds a bit like mine, many years ago. I didn't have endometriosis, however.

My bet would be that you could certainly just have hemorrhoids causing your bleeding. Is the blood bright red? Blood from hemorrhoids is rather bright red, not dark red and certainly not black in appearance. You may see the toilet bowl turned bright red, or you could even see some red blood on the OUTSIDE of the stool (not mixed in), or you could just see a tiny bit of blood on the toilet paper. These are classic signs of hemorrhoids.

You mention some constipation, which enhances that possibility.

A gastroenterologist (or any internist, actually) could do a simple "anoscopy" that checks just a couple of inches inside you (not painful at all) and generally can easily see the bleeding site if done within a day of the bleeding episode. Next step is, as someone else mentioned, sigmoidoscopy which looks at much of the left side of the colon, and finally, colonoscopy, which examines the entire colon.

You have nothing to fear from having this checked out, as your other doc suggests. You are, unfortunately, NOT too young for hemorrhoids!!!!!!! Here's a tip: use baby wipes after a BM whenever possible. They really are much better/more soothing for people with obvious hemorrhoids.

By the way, I am over 50 now and by ending my constipation problem via diet, etc., years ago I still have never had to endure a hemorrhoid operation. THAT can be one long, painful experience as I understand it -- an operation of last resort...

I hope your problem does NOT stem from endometriosis, and that it's just plain old hemorrhoids!

tiredofendo
10-04-2004, 09:16 PM
The blood was definitely not like any hemorrhoid blood I've ever heard about. It was a darker red, with mucus and clots. It looked exactly like my menses. That's why I got freaked out and went to my gynecologist. A little blood from constipation I can handle but this blood was just different.

Do they put you to sleep to do a colonoscopy or do you stay awake?

tiredofendo
10-04-2004, 09:18 PM
I forgot to add that when I had this blood come out of my rectum, I didn't have a bowel movement.