PDA

View Full Version : bowel disorders self diagnosis and treatment

delrae4753
10-18-2004, 08:13 PM
if you think you have a bowel problem take heed and have it checked my brother age 57 has had a problem with his bowels for years was so sure it was ibs after having an epsidode of blood in stool 2+ weeks ago i took him to the er they diagnosed him with a large rectal mass a colonsocopy was performed it seems he had a ver large 8 cm mass in the rectum along with 2 other suspicious areas in the outside of the large intestine this past friday he underwent surgery for rectal cancer a total bowel and rectum removal along with the prostate removal he will wear a permanent colostomy bag the rest of his life .................................take heed and be check you owe it to your family and loved ones. his cancer was malignant we are waiting the pathology report to find out about radiation and chemo also to see if there was any involvment in the lymph nodes...

ktee_uk
10-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Well said Delrae

My husband started seeing his doctor regarding symptoms during 2002 and they went through the routine exams first for hems (which he had) plus topical treatment, then for IBS. He would not let me go along with him at these visits as he didnt feel like it was serious stuff and lets face it, who wants to take their wife along to a digital exam in that part of your body?
He was finally diag in April 2003 (age 44) with stage 4 bowel cancer. He finished his treatment 13 months later and is so far clear.

Here in the UK there are various charities like Colon Concern who try to raise the profile of bowel deseases and get people to know and understand their own bowel habits and not be afraid of talking about it with their doctors. The UK does not have a general screening program (there are trials in some parts) and is lacking in resources to diagnose bowel deseases quick enough. Once diagnosed then treatments seem to happen fairly quickly for example my husband was on the operating table within 2 weeks of diagnosis and his chemo and further surgeries happened just as quick.

So my sentiments echo those of Delrae.............. check your number 2s and talk to the doctor about it.

regards
ktee :wave:

ps..... delrae...... hope your bruv is doing well. did u get any further with the questions for the oncos?

delrae4753
10-19-2004, 11:45 AM
thank you for your replyno pathology reports yet but soon will keep you posted as soon as dr gets them also no word on oncology as of yet :p

delrae4753
10-22-2004, 09:51 PM
pathology report says no lymph nodes were invaded brother is recovering nicely he went home today from the hospital in about 8 weeks he will start 15 weeks of radiation treatment 5 times a week we go the dr this next week will ask about the cancer stage.

Dale30
10-23-2004, 12:58 AM
pathology report says no lymph nodes were invaded brother is recovering nicely he went home today from the hospital in about 8 weeks he will start 15 weeks of radiation treatment 5 times a week we go the dr this next week will ask about the cancer stage.

No lymphs!!! Thats so great! I'm so happy for your brother. God bless him.
I prayed for him when i read your post so i take credit for his good news. :D
JOKE hehe Seriously though, i should get some credit.

delrae4753
10-23-2004, 10:07 AM
I want to thank all of you that prayed for my brother I really appreciate all your efforts as my brother gets stonger each day he knows that the recovery process will take time.