PDA

View Full Version : Hair dyed too dark, please help

salty
09-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Is there anything I can do about my hair that's too black? I look like a witch.

Thank you!

Kre
09-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Yes, you can have it professionally stripped. However, be prepared for the hair to dissolve off your head.

I had an experience with stripping and was told later they were waiting for my hair to dissolve.

Best to wear your hair with pride and allow the color to fade or wear off.

I assume this was a permanent color. If not, then shampoo hair many, many times to help the semi-permanent color fade off.

shadepra
09-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Even permanent hair coloring will fade some (and sometimes quite a lot) after several shampoos. Just keep shampooing and conditioning. Using a 'clarifying shampoo' should take off even more color. After 2 or 3 weeks your hair will probably look much lighter. If it's still not light enough, you should have a professional work on it, don't try to do it yourself, it usually doesn't turn out too well.

reneeintx
09-21-2003, 09:21 PM
salty~

This is exactly what happened to me a couple of months ago. I went to the salon and asked them to permanent dye my hair MEDIUM BROWN. I specifically told the moron I didn't want BLACK HAIR. He assured me it would be brown. When he washed the color out I looked in the mirror and I had the hair color of some gothic person, jet black!! YEE HAH I could be a halloween witch without a wig. I'm 39 years old I don't think I can pull of the "goth look" Although I think it looks kind of neat on the younger crowd.

He said he could fix it and I said no way is he touching my hair and another colorist(with more experience by the way took over, and she also told me he was NEW, just like my luck, getting the NEW guy) she color stripped my hair,using no bleach. The salon only uses Aveeda. She recolored it..guess what!! It was medium brown just as I wanted. I tipped her plenty. She was supposed to get off work but stayed to help me.

Here it is 14 weeks later and I'm going to get my hair done again. This time not with the MORON.

My hair didn't fall out and is in great condition.

See if a professional colorist can use a color-stripper (no bleach) I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results, no witch hair!! :)

Renee

[This message has been edited by reneeintx (edited 09-22-2003).]

surrealmeal
09-21-2003, 10:27 PM
Mix about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of baking soda with shampoo and scrub! This is a trick to deep clean hair so it should help get out some of that color. Good luck

Cookie531
09-22-2003, 10:52 AM
I've heard of people using Dawn dishwashing liquid to get the color out faster. But be careful if you do this since it will be drying so use alot of conditioner.

lilwhitefeather
09-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi you can use clarifying shampoo,ask hair dressers for one
like tea tree from paul mitchell
or i heard use
windex,
or any deep cleaning shampoo ,
or use a soap cap ( hair bleach diluted with shampoo)
whatever you do be prepared to condition your hair will be thrashed!!

salty
09-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Thank you all!!!! I'm going to try the home remedies first. I hope something works.

cattys
09-22-2003, 02:18 PM
I agree with Cookie. I heard somewhere that Dawn dishwashing liquid does work. Even just using regular shampoo the more you wash it the more it will fade.

Good luck

lovely.lady
09-22-2003, 03:38 PM
I once did this too... "dark brown" my butt... anyway I went to a salon and asked my hair stylist what I could do about it and she said to soak my hair in Windex. I never did for some reason, but you should try it. The ammonia in Windex is said to lighten your hair. Good luck...

salty
09-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone. I am going to try the Dawn and then the Windex. The baking soda and clarifying shampoo didn't work well enough, but I appreciate the suggestons.

ILoveColor
09-22-2003, 08:25 PM
If the home remedy's don't work you can go to a professional for a soap cap (also called hightlighting shampoo). It's a mixture of hydrogen Peroxide and shampoo. It goes on and rinses off just like shampoo but the peroxide will slightly lighten the color each time. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself because using the wrong strength of peroxide could discolor it (orange). But a professional could do it and it's not that exspensive.

Suzy VDL
09-24-2003, 03:36 AM
Ohh salty, you poor thing, I have done this before, isn't it embarrassing? There are a couple things you can try, the most obvious is going to the hairdressers and paying lots of money to fix it, or you can try the age old conventional method of buying the most cheapest, nastiest dish washing liquid you can find and wash your hair with it about 5 times. This does your hair absolutley no favours, but I tried it and it beats the hell out of damaging hairdressing chemicals. Or you can just go to your local chemist and they will sell you a hair colour stripper. It will strip the hair dye right out and you will be back to your natural colour again. Again this is very damaging, you will notice after using strippers, your hair will feel really dry and yucky. Any decision you make is not going to be very hair friendly, so I would suggest that what ever you do, make sure you invest in a really nice Shampoo & Conditioner, and more importantly a leave in conditioner aswell until your hair has returned to normal again. Be careful with hair colours, I hate them, they are nasty things.

Regards,

.::Suzy::. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

salty
09-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Thank you everyone!!!!!

So far I've tried everything except Windex and I think I'll skip that.

I'm going to keep washing and washing and washing.