PDA

View Full Version : Tanning Pills??? PLEASE HELP!

jubilee
09-17-2003, 03:40 PM
I need help? Do any tanning pills work?? If so witch ones? I know some of them contain a chemical called canta... somthin that is bad for you. I dont want to take those. I am fair skinned and desperate for anything that works, pills, lotions, self tanners, anything. I dont get results in a tanning bed. Ive also heard of something called a tan towel. Any thoughts on that? Im desperate. Please help me.

cattys
09-17-2003, 05:51 PM
I would be afraid to take the tanning pills. Heaven only knows what is in them.

Try using a self tanner there are alot of good ones out there that look natural. I like bannana boat.

:) Good Luck :)

cookiepls
09-17-2003, 05:52 PM
I think you're referring to canthaxanthin, a natural carotenoid. That's the reddish orange pigment you see in things like apples, carrots, flowers, and even flamingos among other animals. Canthaxanthin is considered harmless and is approved by the FDA as a food colorant but has not been approved (to my knowledge) in the US as a tanning pill.

I used canthaxanthin tanning pills for the first time back in the 80's when I found an ad in a muscle building magazine. I noticed first my hands and feet began to get darker in a really short time. After a month, I was tan. Not orange, just a nice brown color. My palms and the bottoms of my feet got a little orange though. It went away in a few days. You can find canthananthin all over the internet. Just do a google search for it. Hope this helps.

cookiepls

TranscendingAbyss
09-18-2003, 11:21 AM
you know, alot of people acctually find fair skin really attractive

but if you really want a tan.. there are tons of options that don't include pills... millions of types of sunless tanner on the market now.. even spray on sunless tanner booths where you can just stand there and have it sprayed on in under a minute.. have you tried using one of those tan accerlating oils before getting in the tanning bed?

perhaps you just can't tan naturally... I know no matter how hard I try or how much sun I get I only manage to accumulate more freckles...

the tan towel is just a gimic by those home shopping networks btw.. it's just sunless tanner on a towel like a baby wipe... I saw them use one on air and it was quite humerous.. they were raving about how wonderful it is and how you don't turn orange and the woman who used it is turning into a bright orange oompa loompa.. made even funnier by her bright green suit

I would recomend if you can't find somewhere that has one of those booths.. (from what I've seen.. they're your best bet.. at least the ones I've seen don't turn you orange) just experiment with some sunless tanners... if one turns you orange btw you can scrub with some peroxide and the majority of it usually comes off

nzgirl20
09-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Tanning pills typically contain the pigment canthaxanthin. Although the FDA has approved the use of canthaxanthin as a color additive in food, it has not approved its use as a tanning agent. Much larger quantities of canthaxanthin than the amount used as a food coloring must be ingested to change skin color. After canthaxanthin is consumed, it is deposited throughout the body, including in the skin, which turns an orange-brown color, and also the internal organs (liver, brain, etc.). Canthaxanthin-based tanning pills have been linked to dangerous side effects, including hepatitis (inflammation of the liver) and canthaxanthin retinopathy (formation of yellow deposits in the retina of the eye).

Source: http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa022602a.htm

Another useful site on safe self-tanning is http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/3100/3180.asp?index=11060