PDA

View Full Version : can you pull of ur skin when waxing?

~jennifer~
09-18-2003, 10:03 AM
my sis said she pulled a bit of her skin off when she was waxing, so my question is if its really possible, to like lose a looot of skin, of your legs cuz i wanna wax mine, i shave them at the moment cuz im scared of pulling off my skin

TranscendingAbyss
09-18-2003, 10:45 AM
I've never heard of anyone acctually pulling off chunks of skin (outside of urban legends)

but I don't really recomend waxing as anything other than a last resort mainly because while the waxing process itself isn't really painful... alot of people get really bad irritation when the hair starts growing back out and it's just not worth waiting for that to heal unless you just have *really* thick hair that you want to grow out thinner... but someone here may know some tip to avoid that.. I dunno

~jennifer~
09-18-2003, 12:49 PM
some people say your hair grows thicker when you shave it, is that true?

AprilShowers
09-18-2003, 04:02 PM
I don't think shaving makes the hair thicker. I think once the hair starts to come back through, it is pointy, which makes it feel thicker, but if you let it grow, it would probably become softer.

bargainshopper
09-18-2003, 04:06 PM
holy cow...i just waxed my upper lip the other day and i tore a HUGE chunk of skin off. and then the next couple days after it peeled and flaked really bad and was bright red. it's finally pretty much healed, but it can happen if u leave the wax strip on long enough. believe me, it hurts like heck!

TranscendingAbyss
09-18-2003, 11:02 PM
acctually I think it just seems thicker because you're cutting it off at the base when you shave and the base is stiffer because it's just growing out.. so it seems thicker... but mainly I think the stuff about it growing back thicker and darker because you shaved it is just because you get used to not having any.. I dunno.. thats my experience anyway

~jennifer~
09-19-2003, 07:10 AM
oh my gosh! seriously? that must have been soo painfull, did it leave any scarfs? well i am DEFINITELY not waxing my legs, ill just stick to shaving them.. thank you guys!

cs67
09-19-2003, 07:56 AM
Oh, come on!! It can happen if you leave the wax on too long. But don't forget that the face is much more sensitive than the legs. I have waxed for years and never had a problem with the skin!! Yes, it hurts more than shaving, but then you are smooth and hairless for a looong time. AND the hairs grow back less and less. It's totally worth it.

x0xbrittx0x
09-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Yeah but after you wax doesnt the hair have to be pretty long to wax again, or not?

cs67
09-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Well, yes, that it the biggest drawback for waxing. I use an epilator on my lower legs in the summer, when I can't stand it until the hairs grow long enough.
It's tiring being a woman sometomes ...

2boys'momma
09-23-2003, 06:21 AM
I waxed off the skin between my eyebrows once. OUCH!!!!
It was not pretty. It peeled and acted much like a sunburn. I now go have my eyebrows waxed. It lasts longer than tweezing or shaving in my opinion, and no, it doesn't have to grow back long before you can wax again.

verianne
09-24-2003, 04:43 PM
here i go with hair removal again- i have posted on this topic a lot so anyone who has heard me say all of this before, please be patient.

waxing is fine if you do it right- if you have skin coming off you are doing it wrong- so it is easier and safer to go to a professional to get it done. I just asked the owman who does my brazilian wax and she told me something interesting- she uses this thick blue wax for beazilian and the way it works is it hardens and you pull off the wax- no strips! the reason for this is because the kind of wax that you pull off with a strip is actually designed to adhere to the skin and pull the hair out of that, so yes, you do pull off a little bit off skin- but you would neer really notice. this blue wax only sticks to the hair though, so she uses it in more sensitive areas.

i also epilate- i bought an emjoi epilator online for about $39 and it is great- i use it under my arms and on my hands and legs. it was weird at first, stung a little, but it was great the second time i did it. for all you sceptics out there- i convinced my fiancee to let me do his legs and now he asked me to do it again this week- so guys you can use it too. i have found though that you should shave and wait a day or two to epilate- if the hair is too short it doesnt get it all and too long, it hurts more.

but if you dont want to deal with this- you can shave and no, it doesn't make your hair grow back thicker- it just allows the thicker part that was originally closer to the root to come up further, so your hair gorws back looking denser, its not though.

any questions- just ask. hope this helps all of you