PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil and olive oil soaps/moisturizers

thewind
10-02-2003, 09:43 PM
It's supposed to be one of the greatest oils in the world for your skin. Since ancient times the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians used the stuff religiously on their skin. It's also great for the hair and scalp. And, from what I've read, it lets the skin breathe and doesn't clog pores because it mimics the skin's natural oils, and it's high in vitamin E and some other things. I've heard of some of the oldest women who've used it for years and don't have very many wrinkles at all. Does anybody here use olive oil or a product containing olive oil regularly? I have tried the samples from DHC (a skin company that specializes in olive oil products) and they are great, but kinda expensive (though someday I might start buying their stuff). Does anyone use something you can find at the store or do ya use regular olive oil on your skin? I've heard it's great for stretch marks too. I want to start using it all over, soaps and moisturizers, so I'm looking for something out there. I would probably use the regular extra virgin olive oil on my body but am a little afraid to use it on my face. The olive oil moisturizers that are manufactored by the skin care companies are supposed to be thinner and better than plain olive oil, so I'm wondering if there are any good ones at a store, especially for the face. Well if anyone has any good info on olive oil products, please let me know! Thanks a lot! =)

[This message has been edited by thewind (edited 10-03-2003).]

oceandreams
10-03-2003, 10:45 AM
I don't use olive oil on my face because I have very oily facial skin, but I use it as a bath/body oil. And it makes your hair fantastically soft and shiny (I use 2-3 drops worked through dry hair after shampooing & conditioning). I also use it as a hot oil treatment for the hair (wash out afterward). I just use a good quality extra-virgin oil that you can buy at the grocery store (cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil is what you need, it doesn't have a strong odor and it's much better quality than lower grades of olive oil).

Vlasik
10-05-2003, 10:17 AM
I don't use it on my skin because i have oily skin. But I use it as a hot oil treatment before I wash my hair. I have been doing it since i was a kid. It makes my hair soft and shiny, and it also prevents split ends.

annie7
10-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Yes, I do use straight virgin olive oil as a moisuturizer and love, love, love it! I also use retin a which slowly burns the top layer of skin away. I've been doing this for years. There's a book out called, "The Beauty Bible" and she said those two things are best for your face.

thewind
10-05-2003, 03:50 PM
annie7, I was wondering how much olive oil you put on your face and if your skin is naturally dry or oily? Does it cause blackheads? Oh and do you use it after any other cream or before? Thanks =)

cee27
10-07-2003, 09:48 AM
use it for my hair...it's my fave

lindao1
10-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Hello everyone!

I've found two skin care companies that offer olive oil products which I just love.

One is L'Occitane which you can purchase on QVC or they do have their on website. The other is Serious Skin Care (Jennifer Flavin is their spokewoman) that you can purchase on HSN.

L'Occitane is a bit more pricey but they offer soaps, moisturizers, exfoliants, hand lotions, body lotions,etc. The ingredients are all pure and natural.
The Serious Skin care line is much more reasonable in price and the products work quite well also but they don't have a hugh selection like L'Occitane does.

I had the opportunity to visit a L'Occitane boutique when I was in NYC last Christmas. I restocked some of my products from there but it was more expensive than on QVC.

I have very fair and dry skin, also, and I was worried about clogged pores, breakouts and blackheads, but I've not had any problems with them. The olive oil is wonderful in that it makes your skin so soft and does help to diminish wrinkles over time. I just love it!

Hope this helps. Give either skin care line a try and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Linda :D

zebra1
10-07-2003, 03:26 PM
The concept of olive oil having antiaging properties stem from evidence that diets high in olive oil may help prevent heart disease.(sources:European Journal of Clinical Nutrition,january 2002 pages 72-81;and Lipids,november,2001 pages 1195-1202 and supplemental pages s49-s52)There are animals tests showing that topically applied olive oil can protect against UVB damage.(sources,Carcinogenesis,november 2000 pages 2085-2090;Journal of Dermatological Science,march 2000 supplemental pages s45-s50)It does seem that olive oil is a good anti-oxidant and assurdly it's a good mosturizing ingredient.If you check out olive oil research on the net, there is alot of info.

zebra1
10-07-2003, 03:58 PM
The concept of olive oil having antiaging properties stem from evidence that diets high in olive oil may help prevent heart disease.(sources:European Journal of Clinical Nutrition,january 2002 pages 72-81;and Lipids,november,2001 pages 1195-1202 and supplemental pages s49-s52)There are animals tests showing that topically applied olive oil can protect against UVB damage.(sources,Carcinogenesis,november 2000 pages 2085-2090;Journal of Dermatological Science,march 2000 supplemental pages s45-s50)It does seem that olive oil is a good anti-oxidant and assurdly it's a good mosturizing ingredient.If you check out olive oil research on the net, there is alot of info.

GRRRRRRRRR
10-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Has anyone used the Kiss My Face Olive Oil Bar soap? They have different varieties, and I was thinking just the other day about trying one out. Funny how we all think alike sometimes :-)