PDA

View Full Version : Getting off Hydro...depression

sillyfrk14
11-03-2004, 06:04 PM
I used for a year, still am. I got up to about 15 to 20 norcos a day. I got down considerably and even stopped here and there. Before I use to just stop and after a few days 3 to 4 I would feel normal again. Now I can stop and even after a week I am still so depressed. has anyone successfully stopped and had to go on anti depressants? If so what kind? Did it help? I want to be away from these pills. And since I've kicked the physical addiction (which sucks bad) I want to just be happy again. And its hard without my happy pills. So hard I'll take them to try and just feel something good. I think if i can get my depression under control then I could leave the pills alone. I've never done a stint this long. I'm already addicted to xanax. But thats anti anxiety. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Amy

DISCOSTU
11-04-2004, 02:36 PM
First of all 1 week is not a real long time to feel better. I promise you it gets better, a little bit everyday. The problem is you feel better in such small increments, that you don't notice it. Then one day you will be doing something and notice that you are feeling better. Don't get me wrong, you won't wake up one day cured, but I PROMISE YOU IT GETS EASIER. I was doing 30 a day, and I never had a problem with the physical. I could always go CT or on a steep taper without to much problem. I did have the depression problems though and that always sent me back. I have been off for maybe 2 1/2 months and I feel just like my old self again. I do crave sometimes, but it never lasts long. Just stick it out and it will get better. A big problem I had was if I were having a bad day, I would think it was the withdrawal. What we tend to forget sometimes is that people have bad days. We are so used to popping a pill and making all the bad go away, we forget that sometimes normal people feel bad. It took me a long time to realize this.
I wouldn't go running for an anti-depressant just yet. They seem to help some people and I have nothing against using them, just think you should try without for a little while. Here are some things that helped me:
1. Exercise. Exercise as much as you can. I can't recommend this enough. It helps on so many levels. It kick starts the endorphin that your body is no longer manufacturing, it builds confidence, breaks up your day and it makes your body more ready to recover. It also takes your mind off of your problems. I run, and I promise you when you are running you are not thinking about anything other then you and the road. It will be hard at first, but you will get better and stronger everyday.
2. Stay busy. When we just sit around and think about things we tend to start to feel sorry for ourselves. I went out with my friends or the movies even though I didn't feel like it. I found that when I did I would have fun even though I did not expect to.
3. Remember how bad it can get when you are using.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

sillyfrk14
11-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the posts and the advice. I guess a week isnt long, and I did use the depression as an excuse to take a few. I know that taking a few wont make it better. I actually think it depressed me more. Because I dont want to be on them. The physical part isnt as hard for me as the mental part. Wanting some so I just feel ok or even more to feel the high. But the next day, I'm still in the same boat. I know it doesnt make anything go away. I will take heed to your advice and try exercising. I do keep pretty busy, it's the night time that gets to me. I guess I dont want to talk about it either, it just bums me out more. I wish it wasnt always around but it is. So I have to fight temptation as well. I have a doctors appointment scheduled for the 22nd. If I completely stop, and stop pulling the one here or there thing that keeps putting me back to square one, and exercise maybe by then I wont want to go to the doctor. Maybe then I will feel better. So I can stop being such a cry baby. Thanks. I really appreciate you guys.

Sarandipity
11-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Hi! I read your post and will tell you what I found out the hard way. You can't get off pills by taking more pills. An antidepressant will not help you get off the hydros.

Have you ever been to an AA meeting? I used to be a 20 a day opiate user. I could not stop on my own. My way of getting off of hydros was to take something else too. It never worked. I finally gave in and knew I would eventually lose everything I love in my life if I did not get help.

Im not taking anything now and Im finally fully connected to God. I have good days and bad days, but mostly Ive never been more positive and happy EVER.

Life sends you some great deals when you quit.

Much love and hugs your way!

Sara

windysan
11-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Sarandipity.....welcome to freedom.

Sarandipity
11-05-2004, 02:09 PM
GOD IT FEELS GOOD TO BE FREE!!!!!

IM SO HAPPY I COULD CRY. :( :)

Wow!

Thanks Windysan, sounds like you know what it feels like too!

windysan
11-05-2004, 04:32 PM
Damn right I do. Just keep up the meetings and do not slack. As many meetings as possible....and.....WORK THOSE STEPS, girlfriend !! They really work.

Sarandipity
11-05-2004, 07:25 PM
LOVE YA WINDYSAN! I went to a candlelight last Saturday night in a kinda rough part of town. The topic was " Which one of the steps did you have a problem doing, and what did you do to overcome it? " UNREAL ! IT ROCKED!

SOLUTION, SOLUTION, SOLUTION !

No war stories.

Tell you bout it later, my kids want to type !
;)