PDA

View Full Version : Is It Possible I Have Colon Cancer?

Banks_357
11-14-2004, 02:26 AM
i'm a 19 year old male, and for the last couple of months, i've been worried about having colon cancer. alot of people worry about having deadly deasise(mispelled), but I REALLY WORRY ABOUT IT, I HAVE OCD and it dosnt really help. heres my problem,

1.about 4-5 months ago, i started having dry stools, and they have been like that ever since.

2.i took metamusill awhile back, 2 months ago, and the stools started coming out regular, they were soft and easy to pass, but i noticed blood on them.
so i stoped taking the metamusill and the STOOLS RETURNED TO BEING DRY.

so my question is, if the metamussil started to make them soft and normal, is that a good sign that it isnt a tumor causing the constipation??

and also, exactly how rare is it for a person my age to get colon cancer with no family history?? i heard something like 1 in 100,000...is this true???

PLEASE REPLY, I'VE GONE ALL over the internet looking for information, but i really cant find anything that fits my situation, then i heard of this WEBSITE, and was hoping you could help me, PLEASE REPLY

chelle85
11-14-2004, 06:17 AM
If a medication you take is effecting your stools, then that should mean that it isn't a tumour casing the problems, but don't quote me on that. As for blood, i get that all the time, and i only have Crohns

shadowrose40
11-14-2004, 01:19 PM
HI

If you are having dry stools, the metamucil is a good thing to use. But, the blood in them isn't a good thing. Please see abou that. If the blood is with the dry stool, that is likely from a fissure (not cancer)

Cancer in someone so young is EXTREMLY rare. It is possible, but so rare, that it's not even something you should really worry about. Dry stool isn't even a sign actually.

Still, with the blood, it wouldn't hurt to be seen by a doctor just to be on the safe side. It's always a good idea to be checked when there is blood. Blood isn't ever normal. It can be a fissure (small tear) hemmorhhoid, diverticulosis and cancer.

FireWoman
11-14-2004, 01:21 PM
It is HIGHLY unlikely that a tumor is causing your dried stools There are MANY MANY reasons for constipation like foods, medication, life in general. Colon cancer in someone who is 19 years of age is EXTREMELY rare. Everyone in my family suffers from constipation and takes metamucil, citrucel etc... daily. Constipation is such a common occurrance. The blood could be caused from the hard stools scraping against your delicate tissues inside or even internal hemorrhoids due to the straining from pushing the stools out. But, of course, I am not a doctor, so in my opinion, it would not be a bad idea to maybe go see a gastrointerologist to calm your fears. No need to worry needlessly.

Good luck, don't worry, and keep us posted.

CDauthier
11-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Banks, Like my colon doc told me, anytime there is blood, it's best to get a look and see what's causing it...a colonoscopy is the best thing. I'm sure you're o'kay but it's best to be safe than sorry. Besides, the stress you are going thru worrying about it is not good for your general health! A colonoscopy is no big deal...you won't feel like you're being violated..the prep is the worst part...and with the Fleet phso soda, the prep is not all that horrible either! Good luck and keep us posted. Cathy

Banks_357
11-17-2004, 11:49 AM
thank you , i really am grateful for the people out there who replied to this post, and also the people who reply to others post when we are in need of help, i'll try not to worry about this situation.