PDA

View Full Version : Addictologist and their ability to evaluate objectively.

Dr.Dr.
11-14-2004, 06:13 PM
I have a very unusual situation and I hope that one of the physicians here can help. My main concern is whether an addictologist can be objective in evaluating someone who is on pain medication for chronic pain as well as be able to tell if someone is psychiatrically impaired and not mentally impaired due to the pain medication. Apparently all of the main doctors are addictologist but I will see a psychiatrist for an evaluation while I am there. My pain will not be evaluated in the 5 day evaluation process which is obviously inpatient. Thanks. Dr.Dr.

Twinlynn
11-15-2004, 07:03 AM
Dr. Dr,

Although I am not a doctor nor work in a medical field, your post caught my eye--because I recently learned (through checking an on-line list of addictionologists qualified to prescribe Suboxone to help pain pill addicts with withdrawal), that my OWN psychiatrist is on that list! So, without my knowing it (I've been seeing him for years for depression, etc.), he is also an addictionologist. I guess this makes him an example of a psychiatrist qualified to treat psychiatric problems that are separate and not linked to the psychiatric difficulties arising primarily from dependence on pain pills. Hmmm....this sounds confusing....am I making sense?! :-) I.e.; In my specific case, I have been seeing this psychiatrist for years before I even HAD an addiction problem. In fact, I had no idea he was an addictionologist until I read that on-line site. (And, sadly, I am ashamed to say that I have STILL not been able to bring myself to tell him of my own addiction! That's very bad!)

Anyway.....hopefully, if any doctors are reading this board, they will see your post--and can more fully and in more detail--answer your question.

Lynn :-)