PDA

View Full Version : Please Somebody Help Me!!!

nicholestrauss
11-16-2004, 07:18 PM
:confused:
I am in tears right now writing this only because I am overcome with terror. I called a surgeon because I cannot wait to get into a dermatologist...the wait around here is a few months. The surgeon is going to have this biopsied but I am so terrified that I have only slept 4 hours in the last 3 days. I have always had this light brown circular mole on my left hand and a few months ago I noticed a tiny (pin-point black spot) in this mole. It is not on top of it I don't think. At first I thougth it had always been there. Nothing else about the mole has changed. It almost looks like a black head in the mole. It doesn't hurt or anything and the mole itself is also very small. I am terrified after all I have read on melanoma and feel like I have a death sentence. I haven't been able to eat. Like I said it is a tiny spot that has been on this mole for at least a few months with no change. Can anybody tell me anything that might ease my stress or confusion. I have never seen melanoma until I saw pictures on the internet but none of them look like mine, but I do have this tiny black spot. I am sorry for the length I am just desperately in need of help from any of you. Thank you so much for your time.

BonBe
11-17-2004, 03:28 AM
Oh dear...... Please do not get yourself so stressed out it can only hamper your situation.

It is good that you are getting it dealt with PDQ. when you mention seeing a dermatologist but that it takes a few months sounds like you are from where I am. I had a mole on my neck (back tween shoulders) been there always, as a 'missplaced beauty mark" I used to say.

However it turned nasty, and I went to the family doctor, who sent me to a plastic surgeon, and both of them, just said. yes it has to come out, it is a 'what ever' but it needs removal. I had the excision biopsy (removed the whole thing, sent off to a lab, and 3 weeks later it came back not good news at all. But not neccesarily a death sentence, you must get over feeling that way.

Sure it is bad, but nothing that we cannot deal with. You are correct in getting it taken care of, and just do make sure that the thing is sent off for full pathology. My first scar was maybe 1.5 inches long, three stitches, and the second surgery (was what they call wide local excision) it is about 7 inches long..... I am a patient now and forever at Princess Margaret Hospital here in Toronto, (canada)

We must always be vigilant about ourselves. We are our own advocates, and you need to believe in fact a positive attitude is needed that you will be ok. You did the right thing, any suspicious mole, or what ever must be taken care of.

I am now under the 'every three months, for two yearrs, then every six months for 3 years, then every year for ever....at the hospital....and every six months for a CT scan until everything shows tickedy doo to everyone's satisfaction.

The information on the internet is good, but really must be taken not so serious....of course they go on the worst case scenerio, be it MM (like mine was) or BCC or the other forms of skin cancer. It freaked me out, when I got the pathology report, as much as it did my two doctors, one who has known me for over 40 years....I did not fit the 'pattern' I do not hang around in the sun, etc etc, yet it happened. It was a funny feeling, I just knew I would be dead, I tidied up my house, and it was horrid, but hey I am still here, and plan to be forever (well as long as I will be) haha but really, just be aware of things....

Keep us posted on your self, and do not ever be afraid to come back to voice your fears, concerns, or good news for that matter.

Keep in touch
Bonnie

nicholestrauss
11-17-2004, 07:25 AM
Bonnie,

Thank you for your encouragement. I already asked that the surgeon send it off for pathology to look at. I hear it can be confusing sometimes though and wonder if I shouldn't have it sent to a dermapathologist ( or whatever they call them). Like I said it is so teeny tiny of a black spot. I am just terrified though. I mean, absolutely just sick and I have two little girls that I need to take care of (2 and 4) so I need to be able to move past this. Is there any possibility it could be anything else since it has the black spot?
Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me. I appreciate you more than you can know.

spinaltap
11-21-2004, 08:44 AM
undefinedundefinedundefined
this is my first time to a site like this. it seems if i get anything on my skin
i am on the internet,and sometimes it makes me feel better and sometimes
worse. i have a very bad fear of going to the doctor, i have had a couple
of dark spots on my upper back,the one is slightly raised but they are
their for a number of years,they dont bleed or itch. i was thinking if they
were melanoma they would have been worse by now. does anyone have
any ideas. i cant seem to get over the fear of the doctor. that goes
with anything it seems i just dont want to here any bad news.
i know what fear can do, at least you were brave enough to find out.
i am sure everything will be ok.
thanks for letting me vent

TJN
11-21-2004, 09:25 AM
I had a mole on the inside of my leg two years ago with a tiny black spot in the middle. I was concerned too because of the spot --- but it turned out to be nothing at all in my case.

BonBe
11-21-2004, 10:08 AM
But you guys got it checked out and that is half the battle. In my world now, I should have had my mole checked when my DD and DH both said "ewwwww ugly ugly ugly" go to the doctors. It took my DD refusing to Scratch my back for me to say "Oh Ok OK I will go" I had to go for another reason, and almost forgot to ask about the mole. So up to a year passed by, and this mole was always there, I remember it as a teenager and used to wish it were a 'beauty mark' hahha

Just as I was stepping out and enroute to the waiting room where my daughter said scowling at me (she is 25 and allowed to scowl) Did I say "Oh Doctor, by the way, could you look at this for me?" She (doctor) did did not worry about it, but said It has to come off and had a appointment scheduled with a plastic surgeon for said removal of offending mole. (It did by this time look like a giant (size of pencil eraser) in fact the surgeon joked as he was removing it for biopsy say it was big enuff to cause an aviation hazzard to overhead planes. ahhah see it was not even looking like what two doctors *have had my fam doc' for 40+ years now.... so it was not a concern, because it is not in line of what would be noticed on normal doctor visits for what ever....

The plastic surgeon removed it, sent it off and was totally shocked at the end result. (malignant melanoma) and rush rush to hospital for local wide excision went I, in under 7 days.....and further appt at the cancer hospital now for years all because I used to say pshawwww taint nothing..... until greed took over, and I love my back getting a good scratch hahah.

So if you are concerned, and have the means and need to have further assurances then go to a reliable doctor.

Don't worry alone.

Bonnie

Susanbrennan80
11-26-2004, 03:25 PM
I by no means want to frighten you more than you already are BUT I buried my wonderful neice two weeks ago because of a nothing mole. If she had paid attention earlier if if if. Since her diagnosis, I told my gp about it and when I have my female yearly he searches me everywhere, my hair, between my toes, everywhere! Lesley{my neice} begged everyone she knew to be informed and to get checked, so people do this for her, she would be honored. best wishes, and prayers always.

Belle2003
11-26-2004, 07:58 PM
I am sorry for your loss. Where was your niece's mole located? Was it in an inconspicuous place? I agree that everyone should get a yearly mole check.

Susanbrennan80
12-03-2004, 12:13 PM
belle, it started out on her shoulder and was removed but the little sucker came back. She took a lot of comfort from the mpip boards on the web. She was vigalent (SP) and in March of 04 was pronounced cancer free, we were all so happy for her, for all of us. We buried her on November 11, 04. Keep hunting, keep looking, pester your Dr. be a pest about everything better a live pest than a dead good patient. We paay them to take care of us, they can't do that if we don't tell them we are worried about something. (That was my best big sister voice in case you didn't know)

ScottyB
12-07-2004, 05:12 PM
I had a nasty Melanoma a year and a half ago. I waited way too long before I went to the doctors office. This thing was just to the point where it gets into the blood stream and metastasizes. They do not have a cure for Melanoma. All they know how to do is cut it off of you and see if it has spread. Its not a fun thing to go through. PLEASE, anyone who reads this. Go to your doctor as soon as you suspect anything. Time is your enemy, not the cancer. These things grow on top of your skin. They grow to a certain size then start growing into your skin. They get down to your blood stream and start spreading. It then shows up in all your major organs. At that point its too late. You have to catch them early. The body can fight cancer. You have to feed your body the right food and exercise regularly and get enough sleep. Its all pretty much common sense, we just don't do it. I have a lot more to share if you want. Just send me an e-mail.
Scotty.

BonBe
12-08-2004, 03:08 AM
no e-mails are allowed. But you certainly can keep on being a active participant in this forum. We all care. We are all here for one reason and one reason only. I found it does me good just to be here. MM is a thing yes we live with our whole lives.... my mole was removed when it almost was at that stage of 'no return' and since that was so, I am going for cancer hospital appts every three months for years, and so on and so forth. I am soon to have my second CT scan (nodules in chest) which are possibly common and scar tissue, (I HOPE) but it is an on going thing. I agree any thing suspicious that you do not like appears anywhere on your body, get quickly to a doctor and more if you need to.

Both doctors I had though it is was just a ugly big black thing on my neck (tween shoulders) and they were totally floored when the result came back from the excisional biopsy. six days later back in hospital went I for a Local Wide excision (that was first week in Sept.) so my CT scan, and this second one, and blood tests and checkups all in this short period of time.

I am praying for you Scotty, I hope you come out ok. (well as ok as any of can be) Keep on posting, become a contributing member here.... just remember no off site contact is allowed (Per the rules)

Bonnie

Belle2003
12-08-2004, 11:41 PM
What kinds of food do you recommend eating and not eating? I am very interested in what you have learned. Thank you.

Susanbrennan80
12-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Scotty. so sorry to hear about your bad news, my neice Lesley told me that cancer loves sugar so she tried to stay away from that but she never stopped smoking, go figure. She also took a lot of comfort from the mpip message boards and chat rooms on the web at www.mpip.com I've been there, to visit and lurk, wonderful people and so welcoming, after Lesley died, they "hugged" me until I wept. you need to go and talk to them. I went to my gp yesterday ready for fight, had my speech already for her about how I was a warrior for my body and all that, and she said, hey I can't help you if I don't know you'r worried about something, let's get rid of those things. two spots on my right breast, one one my left, three more nest week. she says they are probably nothing. I'm betting she's right. sure hope so. prayers for you, and hugs. please let me know if you go to the mpip, sure hope you do.

ScottyB
12-10-2004, 10:20 AM
If you do a search on the internet for "cancer fighting foods" you will find some good articles. I eat a lot of broccoli and carrots. My wife liked to hear that garlic is good for you. It really is common sense. Anything God made is OK. Don't cook your veggies. Find a way to enjoy them raw. Juice them if you have to. If you think something may be bad for you, it probably is. All you are trying to do is let your body work as well as it can. Your body is equipped with a defense for cancer. Ofcourse what I have just said is easier to say than to do. I still find myself giving in to what I want to eat instead of what I should. If you want some good "food" that will save your life, open up the Bible. Start in the book of "Romans" and read to the end. God Bless.

Belle2003
12-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Thank you Scotty.