PDA

View Full Version : Is this a concern?

igmohair
11-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi im concerned about my husband. About 2 weeks ago he noticed quite a bit of blood when he wiped after having a bowel movement. There was no blood in his stool though. Since then, he has bowel movements alot more frequently than usual and has very soft stools. About 2 days ago, hes been having a dull constant pain in bottom right of his abdomen. The pain has increased already. He feels like he has to go to the bathroom for a bowel movement all the time. Should this be a concern? He did have Diabirticuli surgery about 4 years ago. Could he be having problems again? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

chigs489
11-17-2004, 04:22 AM
It could be diverticuli, but the blood sounds like a fissure. I'm fighting one right now, and they are awful. Pain in the rectum, blood, burning, etc.

He can go to his GP, and if it is a fissure, it will be obvious.

igmohair
11-17-2004, 05:51 AM
thank you. What can they do if its diaverticuli? and is there anything he can do to help relieve his pain? Hes a truck driver, and is getting to the point where its distracting him from his driving.

chigs489
11-17-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm not an expert on diverticulosis, but I think it is a question of degree. My cousin had to have surgery, but his was pretty severe. The good news is, his recovery was swift. I think he was running around again after just a few days.

The important thing is to avoid infection.

Try dietary modification. To avoid soft stools, have him take Metamucil twice a day and lots of salad. Avoid greasy food or anything spicy. Garlic can cause loose stool, so avoid that.

Also have him take Beano before meals to avoid painful gas.