PDA

View Full Version : Help I am worried

cleanstart
11-25-2004, 02:09 PM
I need some good words and some insight. I went to my pharmacy today to pickup some advil and I began talking with my pharmacist who my family and I have known for almost thirty years. He knew I had been taking vicodin for about 2 years and I told him today that I was feeling pretty lousy. I asked him how long the withdrawals would last and he told me that it would take up to 6 months before I began to feel better and possibly a year. He said "don't let anyone tell you any different, that is why most people get back on painkillers after a few weeks." I told him the most I ever took was 4 regular strength pills a day and I cut it down to 2 1/2 a day before I stopped 7 days ago. He told me that that was not a small dose and that I should be in a detox right now for at least 30 days. I don't feel terrific right now but I don't feel like I am going to die like I did on day two and three. He told me that he was afraid for me and that if I was like alot of people that I would probably go back to the vikes in a week or two unless I was under constant care for a month or so.

I thought that the light was at the end of the tunnel, and now I am nervous again and worried. Is this true am I going to feel bad for a year? Am I just wasting my time and should I check myself into detox? I went to work last week and I thought that I was going to make it.

Please help and respond I am scared and worried now.

Cody

Baseball65
11-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Hey Cody..
A lot of well meaning people who might even SEEM to know what they are talikng about don't.Post Accute withdrawal symptoms (Paws) are limited to the most extreme cases and last about 6 months.
Your Pharmacist is going off what he has "read"..like you know...the mystery "they" in "they say that blah,blah,blah...."
I was only taking 8-10 lotrabs a day when I called about rehab programs the first time.They said I might not be taken becayse I wasn't bad enough.

Your pharmacist sounds like one of those sensationalists you see on Daytime talk shows. Eat right,excercise...you're way past the bad part..

Baseball

cleanstart
11-25-2004, 03:55 PM
Hey Cody..
A lot of well meaning people who might even SEEM to know what they are talikng about don't.Post Accute withdrawal symptoms (Paws) are limited to the most extreme cases and last about 6 months.
Your Pharmacist is going off what he has "read"..like you know...the mystery "they" in "they say that blah,blah,blah...."
I was only taking 8-10 lotrabs a day when I called about rehab programs the first time.They said I might not be taken becayse I wasn't bad enough.

Your pharmacist sounds like one of those sensationalists you see on Daytime talk shows. Eat right,excercise...you're way past the bad part..

Baseball

Thank you for your input, that made me feel a whole lot better.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Cody

murphy65
11-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Hey cleanstart.
I have detoxed 2 times off of alot more vics than what you are taking. Your pharmicist don't take this the wrong way is a moron. trust me talk to people who have been through it and not some booksmart label reading pharmacist who just reads stuff. I am sure he is probably one of the pharmacists that said ultram was not addicting too. Honestly most times after the detox phase you will have a coulple of weeks of sleeplesness and a few up and downs but trust me and I do mean trust me Just being clean and knowing you are off the drugs overshadows most of the lingering effects. Just get into a good healthy eating habit and exercise, take some vitamins and you will be fine. Do yourself a favor and try not to read any horror stories it tends to put notions in your head that maybe you don't feel good but you really do. And just think how good you feel. I am going to cold turkey from 8-10 vicoprofens for the 3rd and definately the last time. I would switch places with you tonight. I am going to a rehab this time and I have not done that before so I am hoping it might help some with the wd,s. Hopefully by this time next week I will be able to post about how much better I am feeling. Quit worrying and start living clean you will be fine I assure you.

Philster2003
11-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Cody;

I've been reading along with your posts and I think I'll jump in now.

I would not ever underplay the seriousness of being addicted to opiates or how each person is affected differently by varying amounts of drugs and I'm not trying to underplay your situation but I would think that given you were at aprox 40mgs per day (if you were taking 10mg pills) and got down to 25 mgs per day before you went cold turkey that the worst is over and it may take a few more weeks before you and your system catches up to what was normal prior to pills. It takes the body awhile to start manufacturing endorphins naturally again and it takes time for the body to gain back normal sleep patterns and so on etc...

Give yourself time to heal, to catch up my friend. Sometimes you remind me of me when I was in the throws of pills, I would think too much and to deeply about things. Take each day, each hour slow and steady, don't think to hard or to deeply and let things come back naturally. Visualize your end state, remember if you can how it was prior to pills and visualize yourself in those times and the times you will be when you are past all the down side of pills and the body has rejuvenated itself.

I can tell you that the very first time I did the CT route it was off of 40mgs per day and I thought it was nasty ugly. I really had no baseline to compare with so it felt so bad and it felt like I was going to die, well not die but you catch my drift I just felt terrible. After about 2 weeks I really felt so much better, actually after 7 days I was good and after 2 weeks I was really good and after about a month AI was sailing along fine. Well the last time I did the taper CT thing it was of from 500 mgs per day and that made coming of 40mgs per day seem like a literal walk in the park. I had a baseline from the 40mg CT and the 500MG CT was so bad, it took weeks before I felt good, I did get over the worst in 7 days or so but I really felt ugly and nasty for about 3 weeks. I took almost 6 weeks before I was beginning to feel really well and it was about 10 months before I was really and truly back to normal pre-pill self. So I would agree with Baseball and Murphy and kindly disagree with your pharmacist that it will take 6 to 12 months for you to feel better or be normal. I would agree if you were taking 200-500 mgs per day but taking 25-40 mgs per day just doesnít add up to that suggestion. At least from a physical standpoint. I know each of us is different so I could be wrong so I stand corrected if I am. From a mental standpoint I would agree it could take weeks or months and months to get right and that includes or may be solely directed to just cravings or the like. Thatís were its important to get help, whether its AA or NA or one on one or group or other professional help, because its so hard to fight this alone.

Sorry I am so long winded, I usually am quiet these days but I wanted to chime in on your situation and hopefully lend support, insight and knowledge of my experiences so that it may offer help to you. Happy thanksgiving to you Cody and stay with the vision and goal you have, it will be well worth your effort, Trust Me.

phil

bluejulie5
11-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Cleanstart;
I find that interesting that the pharmacist would say such a thing, considering ALL
of us are different and our bodies are different.
I know that I could not do it on my own, so I went to the Dr. and got methadone treatment (I think you know my story?). But you see, I was up to over 20 hydros. a day.
I have also heard about people doing it themselves.
I think its rediculous that he told you what he did. That it would take 6mos or even a year to feel better? crap.
The older I get, the more I realize there are ignorant people in this world, even Dr.s
and pharmacists. I researched on the internet more about my methadone than my dr. even knew. He would give me false information.(wrong explanations for my side effects of the methadone, etc) He did not even know about online pharmacies ................
Hang in there and dont take this jerks advice.
You are doing wonderful.
Every day will get easier and easier I promise.
And 4 a day is "not a small dose"?
This guy sounds like a dumb ***.

cleanstart
11-25-2004, 08:03 PM
You guys are right I am thinking about his too much. I am driving my self crazy. I am going to just mellow and do the best I can. The pharmacist has always been a little on the strange side. I am getting help. I am attending AA right now although I doubt if I will be a lifer with the program. I don't always relate to it. I have been in AA before and I like some things and other things I can take or leave. But I am commited to staying off of the pills. Maybe staying straight isn't always suppose to be that easy. I am learning some things about myself that I never knew before. Cody is always cool nothing ever bothers me. Now I am seeing that I am just like anyone else, with problems like everyone else.

Thanks for the good words, hope everyone had a great turkey day.

Cody :wave:

bluejulie5
11-25-2004, 08:09 PM
You guys are right I am thinking about his too much. I am driving my self crazy. I am going to just mellow and do the best I can. The pharmacist has always been a little on the strange side. I am getting help. I am attending AA right now although I doubt if I will be a lifer with the program. I don't always relate to it. I have been in AA before and I like some things and other things I can take or leave. But I am commited to staying off of the pills. Maybe staying straight isn't always suppose to be that easy. I am learning some things about myself that I never knew before. Cody is always cool nothing ever bothers me. Now I am seeing that I am just like anyone else, with problems like everyone else.

Thanks for the good words, hope everyone had a great turkey day.

Cody :wave:

Cody
when you stop taking the pills, reality hits and you have to learn how to live all over again (speaking about myself).
Your pharmacist is a flake, and just get it out of your mind, like you said, stop thinking about it, ok?
When you start to think about it (the pharmacist) just try to STOP, and think about something else. easier said than done, right.
Some people are misinformed, and I believe that this guy is one of them, and I think he had no business telling you what he did.
Chalk him up as a dummy, and move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok am I rambling about it?
sorry if I am.

Bluefly3
11-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving Cody :wave: ,

I agree with everyone but the pharm D. If he is in fact that educated. All of us are different. I had Librium/speed/alcohol for many years. Then I got sober for 60 days: Went out again with Valuim/alcohol. I have been away from my drugs of addiction for a while. I can tell you that most of my w/d was psychological. Oh Yes, w/d is physical and psychological. I don't want to sell the physical short! However, I almost drove myself nuts thinking about "how long" will this take? "When" am I going to feel better?

I was given some relaxation tapes to help me sleep at night. Worked for me. (used bookstores are loaded with them) Got me out of my head and helped me realize that this is not going to take a lifetime. It will be over. I can assure you that these feeling have not come to haunt you for the rest of your life. I know that I would have had an easier time had I not been so absorbed in my preoccupation of how, when, where and ___________ (fill in the blanks) etc.

You are doing great. Just keep up the good work. A lot of people are supporting you with great information. Soak in a tub: start looking like a prune. You will be surprised at how well you sleep. Sometimes I look at my fingers and I can picture the "Prune" look from those days. I can't say enough about the soaking. It will relieve the cramps in your legs if you have them. Hydrate and soak!

I am pulling for you. You can make it. Again, you are doing a great job. I want to keep checking on you. Hope you don't mind. I will speak for myself: I remember when I was going through w/d ct. Hang in there! I am proud of you!
Sincerely,
bluefly3

lisaaahubb
11-26-2004, 08:30 AM
Hey Cody....i just wanted to give my two cents here...
The pharmacist is a straight-up IDIOT!!!
The dose you were on is considered normal to small...it is AS prescribed.
I have a friend that is 6 months clean from truck loads of oxys a day, he is now doing extremely well feels close to 100% and is one of the sanest, serene people i know. The program, NA, has helped him so, so much.
So don't worry about what idiot said, you will be feeling better every day now. It is only up from here, just set up a "plan" for when cravings DO hit, cuz they are gonna hit you in the next few weeks coming. Start up a support system, you are gonna have to tell SOMEONE close to you, a brother, sister, good friend...someone to rely on when you need it.
I think you are gonna make it...remember: mind over matter. You don't come across as a weak person, you can beat this, just stay focused. Take some vitamins and baby yourself for awhile more. No letting your mind wander.
Hang tough,
luv,
LISA

cleanstart
11-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Thank you everyone for your encouragement, I can't even begin to tell you how much this means to me. As far as my pharmicist goes, I am sure he was just concerned and meant well. I am feeling better and plan to go to a meeting tonight. I am really looking forward to it. Thanksgiving was great with the family over. We did the NYPD Blue Marathon, I remember the old days of the The Twilight Zone marathon.

I am taking everyone's advice and not trying to take myself so seriously. Thank you all and happy holidays. If anyone needs to talk I will be here to listen, you all have helped me so much.

Cody

pearce28
12-02-2004, 02:38 PM
You will be fine. Although I will say that to us , the user, the detoxer, the end is when we get sleep and feel better. To us at that point it is over. But coming from someone who has been clean for three years now, you really do notice a difference in one year, and then two years, and then three years. It is not something you will notice at the moment you are in and at the time you think you feel great but a year later you realize that you did not feel as great or were not as up to par as you thought you were. Your brain and all kinds of bodily functions do not start to function at full speed for a while but it is nothing that is painful or bothers you untill you get it back and realize what it was you were even missing.

cleanstart
12-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Again I can't begin to thank everyone here. The good words from all of you made my this detox pretty easy to bare. The clonidine helped too and I took a very small amount of valium for some situational anxiety that my doctor prescribed, it really did help a couple of times, although the valium caused a little itching and twitching (no play on words intended).

I go to a meeting on Friday nights which is an aa meeting and they don't get to uptight about some light sharing about vicodin as long as you can bring the subject back to alcohol, which I can because I use to drink a lot.

Thank you all Happy Hannakah, Merry Christmas...........

Cody

bluejulie5
12-03-2004, 12:51 PM
HICleanstart;
I am glad that you are well.
My methadone dr lets me take 4 5mg valium a day and that helps.
I am trying to tackle smoking now. A few days ago I went 30 hrs
without one then I slipped, and in fact I slipped today too......................
geez
anyway hang in there and good luck.

cleanstart
12-04-2004, 11:42 AM
HICleanstart;
I am glad that you are well.
My methadone dr lets me take 4 5mg valium a day and that helps.
I am trying to tackle smoking now. A few days ago I went 30 hrs
without one then I slipped, and in fact I slipped today too......................
geez
anyway hang in there and good luck.

Hey Jul my doctor suggested to take some valium throughout the month for some situational anxiety. I took 2 pills yesterday at 5mg and took one this morning. I don't feel any euphoria from it. It just kind of helps with the uptight feeling that I sometimes get since I stopped taking the vikes. Is Valium addictive? Is my dose high? Do I need to taper down? Just curious. I don't get that " I can't wait till my next dose feeling." Can this be a bad drug too?

Let me know.

Cody