PDA

View Full Version : Alcoholic?

Blue102
11-29-2004, 02:25 PM
I don't see any posts about alcoholism on this board, but I didn't know where else to post...

I recently decided to quit drinking after a few...ok, quite a few...bad experiences while drunk. I didn't drink very often, but every couple of weeks or so I'd get trashed. I would drink about a 6-pack of beer or more in one sitting. (I'm 24, and 100 lbs.) Sometimes I'd start craving beer like crazy and just buy some to drink at home while hubby was at work. He didn't like it when he came home and I was drunk and start yelling at him. It was getting to be a common thing for me to wake up in the morning, saying, "Ok, you know I didn't mean whatever it was I said to you last night..." I almost killed myself on several occasions, but it was when I called my ex-boyfriend in the middle of the night that I knew I was in trouble.

Well I knew I had a drinking problem, but I didn't think I was a full blown alcoholic. I figured I would end up ruining my marriage and my repuation if I kept drinking like that, but I couldn't just stop at one beer (I tried that), so I just stopped drinking altogether.

It's been about three weeks since I had my last drinking binge (it was a 6-pack and a whole bottle of wine!). Now, I am depressed as heck. All I can think of is how to get a beer. I know that alcoholism runs in my family in a big way (my grandmother died from cirrhosis.) Could I be an alcoholic? Is it truly unsafe for me at this point to even have one beer? I'm so depressed. I feel like my life is over!

Advice? Opinions?

Sarandipity
11-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Hey! AA is awesome and is an answer to drinking. Have you tried going to a few meetings?

tylerderden
11-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Hi, I am a recovering Alcoholic/addict myself. I go to AA meetings about 5 times a week. An alcoholic is not only how much you drink, but what HAPPENS when you drink, also usually the problem of not being able to have just one drink. There are AA groups online. do a search for Aa and you will find a wealth of information. Also in the telephone book is always the local AA hotline that can help you find meetings, and get someone to call you and answer questions for you. AA saved my life, and I have been drinking since grade school. I have not been sober for just under 4 years. GIve it a try! good luck. CB

Blue102
11-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys. I think I will try AA. Maybe it will answer a lot of my questions.

Last night my hubby and I went out to eat for our anniversary, and the restaraunt had a tiny bottle of champagne on the table, so we figured that would be OK. I didn't even finish my glass. I'm starting to realize I don't need alcohol to enjoy myself after all. Maybe I haven't gotten to the point of being a true alcoholic. I think I better stop while I'm ahead though...

kimc24fan
01-01-2005, 11:36 PM
I to am an alcoholic. I have been out of detox for 3 months after drinking 1/5 of tequila per day for about 1 year. I go to AA everyday, have a sponsor and work the steps. I cannot believe the change in my life. Alcholism also runs in my family and I was told I inherited it. Being depressed is not unusual - alcohol is a depressant. I am on anti-depressant's just because I am an alcholic. Go to AA if you can't go to detox. As far as 1 beer - they teach you in AA "One is not enough a thousand is to many". If you want to talk about my experience and I can share what I have learned, email me.

Kim

lisaaahubb
01-02-2005, 05:11 AM
stay away from that "first" beer, or drink and you should be fine. I haven't touched a drink in about 8 years or more now. One drink, will lead to 101. I know it now.. But it took thousands of times before i finally thru the towel in and turned to AA. I am very tiny too, so after 4 or 5 drinks i would black out or slip into a drunken rage doing things i would NEVER normally do.
Try an AA meeting, try a few of them til you find one you are comfortable in. You will meet a great bunch of people that want to help you and help you understand your addiction.
Stay away from that first drink. Don't let your mind talk you into having "just one".....because all of us alcoholics know what that one drink will lead to....