PDA

View Full Version : Got mole shaved for biopsy today. What is MOHS?

siren1024
12-14-2004, 05:58 PM
They gave me a good check all over. I have a large number of abnormal, or dysplastic moles, I already knew that. But none of them have exhibited any change. The doc was paranoid to take the mole off because I'm pregnant. :rolleyes: As if a shot of lidocaine would pose more of a risk to my baby than leaving a possible melanoma on my arm for the next three months. Fortunately, the policy here is any pigmented lesion has to have two doctors look at it to decide not to biopsy. Doc number two said definitely biopsy it because of the asymetry and my insistance that it was changing. He said they are learning more and more to trust their patients observations since they've had many melanomas come back that just didn't look "that suspicious." After he shaved it, he said he thinks they did the right thing, because there is some spider web looking pigmentation in the layer of skin below that seems to be putting out "runners" in the direction that I noticed the slight spreading and change in height. So we'll see.

They said the biopsy results could take up to two weeks. Since it was just a shave, if it comes back positive, I'll have to go back and have a complete excision.

Out of curiosity, what is mohs? I've seen this mentioned several times and am not sure exactly what it stands for.

lisa1991
12-14-2004, 06:01 PM
I had mohs on my face. It does not scar as bad. They basically cut small amounts of tissue at a time till they get clear margins. My derm does mohs on face and neck. My biopsy results only took 3 days. I will be going in the morning to have two premelanomas cut out.

Lisa 4 basal cell and 1 malignant melanoma and many pre-melanomas

Susanbrennan80
12-22-2004, 02:24 PM
siren, any questions go to www.mpip.org it is the melanoa patients information board. they will love you to death and answer every question you have (and a few you don"t) No kidding, I was on there today and there are several pregnant ladies with many qyestions, perhaps you could help one another. hugs, Susan