PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone one have a phobia??

charzysbebe
01-09-2005, 01:23 AM
I was just curious if anyone else besides me, has a phobia that causes anxiety attacks?? I have emetophobia (fear of vomit) and it has run my life for as long as I can remember. I feel so alone, and no one understands me. It would be nice to know that there are others out there who's world revolves around an irrational fear. :)

junglemonkey
01-09-2005, 06:01 AM
Hi charzysbebe,

I believe I am also emetophobic though I have only recently admitted this to myself. I wish I could go seek treatment but my parents would basically laugh in my face and truth is, I'm too afraid. I have been diagnosed with chronic GAD with frequent PA's, but now I normally have PA's over feeling sick or imagining someone else is going to be sick, and since I'm going to be studying dentistry at uni, I think it's quite important I do get over it soon!

I just wonder if you're the same... If a family member is sick (even not vomiting/non contageous) you can't touch anything they've touched? Can't be in the same room? Can't care for them? Avoid them as much as possible? You wash your hands a lot? Can't cook your own food? Scared of going to restaurants in case they haven't cooked it right? Scared of going on holiday in case you catch something or the different food makes you sick? Scared of long plane, car, train, bus journeys in case it makes you sick? Scared of going on planes in case you catch something with all that recirculated air?

Yeah and that's just a sample! Lol!

Jesussavesme
01-09-2005, 07:30 AM
My phobia is HIV im constantly reading the symptoms and thinking im having them, Night sweats weight loss swollen glands so and and so on, The more i read the more symptoms i expierence

hry33
01-09-2005, 01:07 PM
anxiety sufferers often get phobias or excessive fears, that bring on panic attacks, the panic attack of course cements the phobia into your mind

natalie_ogle
01-09-2005, 02:24 PM
charzysbebe-

I thought I was the only one with a phobia of puking. I didn't even know it had a name. I've always been afraid of it since I can remember but when full blown anxiety came about 2 years ago my life was controlled by my fear of it, until I got anxiety under control. I would get panic attacks because I was afraid of getting a panic attack because I would think that I would puke. My number one symptom that I have now when I do get anxious is a tight feeling in the throat that makes it feel like if I move too fast or speak or swallow that I will gag. It even has made me gag. It is the most awful feeling in the world. This feeling was so intense for like a year an a half if I would go ANYWHERE. Glad to know I'm not alone. Good luck!

islandkate
01-09-2005, 04:47 PM
I am claustrophobic..............has caused some embarressing situations sometimes because it also bring on a panic attack.........one of those ones where HAVE TO GET OUT OF THERE!! LOL!!

Zeethan
01-09-2005, 08:48 PM
I developed a fear of bridges during my first pregnancy in '93, even though I am from the Bay area and have been on the Golden Gate more times than a ride at Disneyland. I also have a small failure to deal with crowds now. Went to the mall a few days after xmas and all the people there just drove me nuts, I didn't panic like I did once, but still, it was uncomfortable.

Soulcatcher
01-09-2005, 09:02 PM
I have a big fear of the unknown such as swimming in the ocean...whats under me...JAWS???? It mixes with my fear of death...I do NOT want to die because of the unknown....
The one that affects me on a day to day basis is the fear of flying bugs! Roaches, moths, butterfly's, bee's....things with *******s, little nasty legs. YUCK. If one lands on me my friends think its hysterical...I seriously get sick to my stomach and hypervenalate and I WILL shove one of my friends in the path of the creature.
I sometimes get panick attacks if I don't have control over something.....being in the car with someone else driving....I have to have a way I can control my surroundings. I'm not real good with authority...I obey the law don't get me wrong but I can NOT stand someone who thinks they are above me and bosses (we are equal). Then the claws come out! So that's my dumb panick and anxiety attacks...........OH I almost forgot the biggest one.....I HATE HATE HATE to be snuck up on and scared! I will swing! Usually happens mostly with the bugs but on occasion my four year old will quietly sneak up on me at night, he's been lucky so far....I usually will yell out a swear word OPPS! :(

teko2000
01-09-2005, 09:10 PM
I have had a phobia ever since I was young. My mom would over emphisis that as a girl i should watch my drink so someone doesnt put drugs in it. My first panic attack i thought someone put something in my drink. I have to laugh at myself while im writing this because i at least know where this anxiety came from....my mom! to this day if a anxiety panic attack comes on i look around and see who may of slipped something in my drink, then i have to remind myself I've felt like this before and no one is out to get me. gee thanks Mom

charzysbebe
01-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Hi charzysbebe,

I believe I am also emetophobic though I have only recently admitted this to myself. I wish I could go seek treatment but my parents would basically laugh in my face and truth is, I'm too afraid. I have been diagnosed with chronic GAD with frequent PA's, but now I normally have PA's over feeling sick or imagining someone else is going to be sick, and since I'm going to be studying dentistry at uni, I think it's quite important I do get over it soon!

I just wonder if you're the same... If a family member is sick (even not vomiting/non contageous) you can't touch anything they've touched? Can't be in the same room? Can't care for them? Avoid them as much as possible? You wash your hands a lot? Can't cook your own food? Scared of going to restaurants in case they haven't cooked it right? Scared of going on holiday in case you catch something or the different food makes you sick? Scared of long plane, car, train, bus journeys in case it makes you sick? Scared of going on planes in case you catch something with all that recirculated air?

Yeah and that's just a sample! Lol!

Oh gosh yes...that is me, and you are an emet!! Just by what you have described to me, those are sure signs of emetophobia! I have panic attacks when someone around me vomits, and/or may feel like vomiting. If my kids are sick, (or even if they just act sick or "different") I won't touch what they touch, and I cannot care for them. (my husband does most of it) I get scared at restaurants too...scared to ride in the car with someone else, for fear they may get car sick. I won't go on planes because I am afraid it will crash, but also because of the nasty recirculated air!!! ICK!!! You sound like a typical emet. Do you fear yourself vomiting, others, or both?? Either way, it is emet. My list can go on and on about my stupid rituals and irrational thoughts and behaviors with this phobia. I hate it, and no one understands. [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails - no websites ] Nice to meet you!!!! Charlotte

charzysbebe
01-09-2005, 11:16 PM
charzysbebe-

I thought I was the only one with a phobia of puking. I didn't even know it had a name. I've always been afraid of it since I can remember but when full blown anxiety came about 2 years ago my life was controlled by my fear of it, until I got anxiety under control. I would get panic attacks because I was afraid of getting a panic attack because I would think that I would puke. My number one symptom that I have now when I do get anxious is a tight feeling in the throat that makes it feel like if I move too fast or speak or swallow that I will gag. It even has made me gag. It is the most awful feeling in the world. This feeling was so intense for like a year an a half if I would go ANYWHERE. Glad to know I'm not alone. Good luck!

Wow!! Another person with a phobia of vomiting!! Yeah, it is called emetophobia, and as I said in another post on this thread, there is an emetophobia forum that you can get lots of support from. It is awesome!! Sad the we have phobias, but glad I don't feel so alone!!! Charlotte ;)

charzysbebe
01-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Wow all you guys!! It is so hard to believe that some of you go through panic just like me...but with different things!!! I bet to some of you, vomiting is nothing to worry about...whereas, your phobia to me, wouldn't bother me either! WOW!!! Just goes to show you how our minds are the same, but yet different ya know?? It would be great for me to get to know about some of your different phobias in comparison to mine...and see if we have the same behaviors. It is also great that we can all support each other with these issues!! :) Oh, by the way...I feel like an idiot...I just noticed that the title of this thread says "Does anyone one".....LOL!! One to many ones! Oops!

suzyisdizzy
01-09-2005, 11:49 PM
I too have emetophobia. BIG TIME! It has ruined my life. And then if things couldn't get any worse I have developed an inner ear disorder that makes me dizzy 24/7. The dizziness is also motion sickness, so I feel nauseous a lot. I can't believe me of all people would developed a disorder that makes you nauseous! It has been pure hell, but I am trying to get by.
Be grateful that you don't have an inner ear disorder like me. Now I wish I hadn't spent all those years worrying about puking when really there was nothing wrong with me. I hope you learn to cope with it and over come it.

zzzzlady
01-10-2005, 08:24 AM
WOW ! I am amazed at all the other emetophobics out there besides myself!!! I have suffered with this phobia for 30+ years, and I did not have children because this terrible fear has gripped me for so long. My life is totally controlled by this fear. I dont wish this on anyone, but I am glad to know that there are others out there that can relate !

My Psyciatrist has me on 1.5 mg of xanax per day. It kinda helps, but whether it helps or not, I REFUSE to up the dose. I would much rather find a natural alternative so that I can stop taking this xanax.

kcgage
01-10-2005, 08:17 PM
OMG.....I always thought I was the odd one out! I can't believe all these posts, they sound just like me. I have a HUGE fear of vomit, as far back as I can remember (grade 1) and I didn't know it had a name. I can't stand someone else driving, airplanes, illnesses, SUZY - I have a middle ear disorder too (NOT FUN), someone else posted something that they got so worked up they always gagged -- happened to me more than once on the elevator at work...........what kind of help is out there for us? I take Trazodone at night and Zoloft during the day for another condition (fibromyalgia).

Whew, I feel so much better already!

Oh, and I too am petrified of having children -- what am I going to do when one day I have to clean up after them????

charzysbebe
01-11-2005, 12:03 AM
WOW!! More people than I thought have this awful fear!! I am an emet (emetaphobic) and didn't realize it had a name either until October of 2004. Then I got involved in a forum that is especially for emets. I wish I knew how we could all be cured of our phobias, because it sure makes life miserable!!! I have 5 kids, and you can imagine all the worry and anxiety I go through! :( I know how y'all feel. Seeking therapy from a psychologist will help by gradually getting you to do things that you have avoided for years. In doing that, your brain learns to listen to the rational things, and not go straight to the "fright and flight" reaction. (which is what us phobics do) I just started therapy, and my psychologist just learned what my fear was about, and is going to work with me. Alot of docs don't know what emetaphobia is...and I was suprised at first, but I found it to be very common; heck, alot of us didn't even know we have it!!
Just gotta take one day at a time I guess....I hope we can all support each other on here!! Nice to meet you all! :)

zzzzlady
01-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Hey, it's me again. I responded once, but I wanted to respond one more time and tell all the young EMETS to PLEASE not allow this fear to keep you from having children. There is no greater reward in life than having a child of your own ! I am 46 yrs old, and unfortunately I allowed this fear to grip me and keep me from getting pregnant and having a child of my own. If I had it to do over, I would NOT allow the fear to win. Please please please do whatever you can to get a handle on your emetophobia NOW before all your time has gone by and it's too late to have a child of your own. There are forums and help groups on the internet and there are also doctors that could possibly help. Please find something that works !

Good luck to all and I'm so very pleased that we have each other to talk to !!!

charzysbebe
01-11-2005, 10:56 PM
zzzzlady is right!!! I have 5 beautiful children, and they really are worth all of the anxiety I go through! (I just understand that the anxiety is MY problem, and it is all irrational) There are waaaaay more special moments with my kids than scared moments. You young emets, really should get help with your fear if your fear is keeping you from having children. Kids are so worth it! :)

Charliboogs
01-12-2005, 08:47 AM
I fear wide open spaces and heights. With the heights I fear loss of control of my mind and feel the urge to jump. Sometimes I lay down the fear becomes so great. With the wide open spaces I have overwhelming sensation of loss of security. Noplace to run to and hide if necessary. I have had this since I was very young like 21-22 years old. Its like I bring it on myself. I keep thinking in my mind just jump, jump over and over then I just start running till I get to a safe place. I never tell this to a soul though. I love flying though as I know I can't jump. Is that crazy? :confused:

SnrFalcon18
01-12-2005, 10:07 AM
I also have emetopbobia and it is ruining my life. I would give up almost anything to feel better. I mean I could deal with the panic attacks, if I just could be as comfertable throwing up as if I had bulemia.

stitcher
01-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Hello Everyone,
I have been posting on the "Inner Ear" Board due to vestibular neuritis and migraine aggravated vertigo that has developed over the past 2 years. I struggle every day with dizziness, anxiety and panic over whether or not I might vomit. I have had this phobia ALL my life and I am now 62. {REMOVED}and then married a veterinarian so was able to order drugs to control nausea/vomiting if I got the flu, etc. Used Compazine. I did have a child at 37 and had put it off due to my fears of morning sickness, etc. I felt sick for 3 months but never threw up. 4 years ago I had a panic/anxiety attack which caused a lot of tummy troubles. After an endoscopic procedure the medication they gave me made me feel nauseased and I actually had the dry heaves! It was the most scary experience in my life. I didn't bring anything up though. I am terrified of choking to death. Whenever I am around someone who is vomiting, I have to leave the house, etc. I drove over 4 hrs to visit my sister once and when I arrived my 15 yr old neice had been throwing up all day. I sat outside her house and then left and drove back home again, 4 hrs. Tell me I not nuts!
With the vestibular problem the Dr gave me Ativan, Antivert and Compazine. I have taken ALL of them to avoid the nausea and the combination really throws you for a loop. Now I take Ativan "just in case" whenever I go out. It avoids the anxiety/panic. We don't know whether the anxiety is causing the dizziness now or dizziness causing anxiety. In any event, the Ativan helps tremendously.
Boy, I never knew there were so many people with this phobia. I even considered hypnosis! I certainly relate to all of your fears. I, too, have canceled a flight just prior to boarding because it was windy out! My son is an airline pilot and has had flights were everyone was sick. I would absolutely die! Can't imagine being in that environment.
If anyone has worked through this phobia, please, please let us know how you did it...Perhaps some sort of behavior therapy?
One last question. What do all of you do when you do get the tummy flu? How do you manage it?
Feel well.

Bell99
01-12-2005, 01:53 PM
How much space do we getLOL
Wow .... My biggest is my health OMG I am always thinking I have Cancer or some horrible illness.
Second is Germs, Hand Gel is my best friend
Another huge one for me is Cars
I hate being anymore than 20 minutes from my house that will send me in a panic
Getting on the Interstate, I just found out what the speed limit on the Interstate was it had been over five years since I had been on it!
Those are my "big" ones There are lots of smaller ones

woodfaery
01-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Ok here are my phobias:
1. going down an escalater (not up, no prob there).
2. swimming farther out in lakes (afraid of fish touching me).
3. the sound of popping balloons too close to me.
I'm sure theres more but thats the jist.
are those weird phobes or what?!

Graciecat
01-12-2005, 03:12 PM
I might as well add mine too.
These things don't actually give me panic attacks any more, but I still avoid them as much as possible.

1. Thunder Storms...hard to avoid, so I just turn up the TV as loud as I can!
2. Elevators....I'd walk 2 million flights of steps before I'd get on an elevator.
3. Bridges....I won't drive over them...if someone else is driving I close my eyes until we're over them.
4. Birds....Little beady eyes and sharp beaks...YUCK!
5. Water....I'm okay in the bathtub or shower...the ocean, lake or a swimming pool...forget it.
6. Clowns....I always wonder what's under that makeup!!
7. Dogs....A dog tried to eat my leg off when I was 5 years old...my kids and Husband would love to have a dog...not as long as I live in this house, we have three cats and cats will be the only pets in this house...if my kids want dogs they can have dogs when they move out :)

Did I forget to mention that while I don't have panic attacks any more, I still suffer from OCD...as if you couldn't tell by that list :D

islandkate
01-12-2005, 09:51 PM
I agree with u completely. I do not have this phobia, but have others...............and having my 4 kids was VERY soothing and helpful for my anxiety's!!

eddiesbaby
01-13-2005, 09:54 AM
I have a phobia of enclosed things such as elevators, closed mri's etc.

bbybyrd
01-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Wow what an interesting thread. I'm claustrophobic, fear elevators and escalators (I think it's the fact that I don't have control of my movement that scares me), really scared of bridges, and I'm deathly afraid of clowns. :nono:

Havalina
01-13-2005, 04:56 PM
I have a fear of owls. And birds in general if they are in enclosed places. Like in pet stores or those occasions where one will get into a grocery store.

My sister has an unusual fear of colored newspapers. Coupon inserts are the worst.

Blue102
01-13-2005, 07:22 PM
I fear wide open spaces and heights. With the heights I fear loss of control of my mind and feel the urge to jump. Sometimes I lay down the fear becomes so great. With the wide open spaces I have overwhelming sensation of loss of security. Noplace to run to and hide if necessary. I have had this since I was very young like 21-22 years old. Its like I bring it on myself. I keep thinking in my mind just jump, jump over and over then I just start running till I get to a safe place. I never tell this to a soul though. I love flying though as I know I can't jump. Is that crazy? :confused:

Hey Charliboogs, I have a really terrible fear of heights too. I know what you mean, looking out over a balcony or something will make me feel dizzy, like I will go crazy and just jump. Weird! I've been known to fall down in tears against the wall when I'm up high somewhere, on a couple of occasions. Also, I don't mind flying! The plane just feels secure, and it really doesn't seem like you're so high. I get a little jittery upon landing though. :eek:

islandkate
01-15-2005, 08:35 PM
:eek: I hope I never have to have a MRI.......I would freak.....they would have to knock me out......I am clausterphobic........no enclosed spaces for me...NO WAY :eek:

Graciecat
01-16-2005, 07:28 AM
I also don't like to be in enclosed spaces and a couple of years ago I was having some knee problems and the Doctor suggested an MRI.
I was scared to death...like I said in my other post I'd climb a million flights of steps to avoid being closed up in an elevator.... then he told me that there are "open MRI" machines.
So if by some chance you do need an MRI in the future...here's hoping that you don't...but if you do ask about an open MRI...it wasn't bad at all.

babydoll20
01-21-2005, 03:01 PM
another emet here, I think i remember you charzybee! I'm at the forum as well :)

my god, I dont get it. I would rather be hit by a bus, stranded in the ocean, attatcked my a dog, than throw up. I know, its wierd.
whens oemone I know has a tummy bug ( I have NEVER had one) I head for the hills, stay at a friends house if I can, or stay in my room because I feel everywhere else is contaminated. I disect my food, making sure its cooked because I might get food poisioning, and aviod places like hospitals,pubs and such because there are people there who might vomit.
the only thing different with this phobia is - you cannot geta way from it. its your own body you are afraid of. You can aviod the fear of flying by not getting ona plane. you can aviod a fear of heights by not going to high places. you can aviod a fear of spiders by running from them. You cannot aviod throwing up, at some point in your life its going to happen and theres nothing you can do! its so frustrating!

junglemonkey
01-22-2005, 09:50 AM
the only thing different with this phobia is - you cannot geta way from it. its your own body you are afraid of. You can aviod the fear of flying by not getting ona plane. you can aviod a fear of heights by not going to high places. you can aviod a fear of spiders by running from them. You cannot aviod throwing up, at some point in your life its going to happen and theres nothing you can do! its so frustrating!

Agreed.

Do you emets (Don't know whether to include myself in this group!) always feel like every day is just a day closer until you throw up? And I seem to always be thinking "If I can just get through this night..." because night time was when I always threw up as a kid?

Yesterday we had a talk from a person who used to have an eating disorder in school (very brave woman!) and I was so panicky throughout the whole thing --> BULIMIA!!! I'm going to be studying bulimia in 2 of my school subjects this year - psychology and human biology - oh dear!

s_mckenna
01-22-2005, 03:09 PM
I have a general fear of death, but more specifically from cancer. I'm a horrible hypocondriac,. I think that a bump is skin cancer, an upset stomach is intestinal cancer. Its horrible. A lot of my anxiety causes me to have symptoms similar to cancer. If I read Cancer in a astrological chart I cringe. Just typing the word now is hard for me. AIDS, HIV, Heart Disease ... none of those ven irritate me, but cancer does. I have massive panic attacks all the time. I'm paranoid to go to the doctors for fear I will be diagnosed ... and I'm only 23 :(

Bell99
01-22-2005, 03:32 PM
I have a general fear of death, but more specifically from cancer. I'm a horrible hypocondriac,. I think that a bump is skin cancer, an upset stomach is intestinal cancer. Its horrible. A lot of my anxiety causes me to have symptoms similar to cancer. If I read Cancer in a astrological chart I cringe. Just typing the word now is hard for me. AIDS, HIV, Heart Disease ... none of those ven irritate me, but cancer does. I have massive panic attacks all the time. I'm paranoid to go to the doctors for fear I will be diagnosed ... and I'm only 23 :(
You described me to a T and I Loath going to Dr.'s have to be on deaths door step before I will go.

sculpture
01-22-2005, 04:04 PM
I am sure everyone knows by now that I have a fear of dying. Is it a phobia? I guess so. I don't know. It makes me sooooo angry that we are perfectly fine normal healthy human beings and we are ruining each moment with our anxieties. I look back on my life and regret ALL the times I was anxious and nothing happened. I could have been enjoying myself but I was too fearful. It upsets me so much. It is all because of the WAY I THINK! And that makes me even more mad. If I could just change the way I think, problem solved, right? Haha, it is sooo difficult to change your thinking though. How annoying.

hayley0610
01-22-2005, 08:13 PM
i have 3 main fears, first and most important one to me in vomiting, i cant stand to hear it or smell or watch it and knowing someone may throw up makes me panic and thinking i might puke is even worse!! 2nd is bees i have no idea why and i was fine till i was 19 then one day it got bad to the point that i wouldnt even go outside but im a bit better now. 3rd is someone putting something in my drink or being slipped a med i wont be able to mentally handle or that will make me sick.

islandkate
01-22-2005, 08:34 PM
OMG! Me too.....hope I NEVER have to have a MRI.....They would have to knock me out!! Claustrophobic!

Sweet_yet_sour
01-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Planes- the thought of crashing - mainly in the ocean.

I'm not fond of talking on the phone - due to a bit of a social anxiety. Strangley, I find that worse than actually talking to people face to face.

sculpture
01-23-2005, 04:49 PM
I've had an MRI because I thought I had a brain tumor (my anxiety caused this thought of course) and it wasn't that bad now that I think about it. At the time I was terrified but it was all because of my thinking. It turned out to be a muscle problem which caused me to have headaches. Ridiculous how we scare ourselves. I am so tired of this now.

Blondee15
01-23-2005, 07:49 PM
wow it's so nice to see i'm not like.. weird lol. so many emetophobics out there! I'm also emetophobic, 18 & been this way since... well since I was like 7 or so. I am a strange case... cannot handle to hear it, see it or smell it. Airplanes, well the bonus of having allergies is when I fly, I dont take my allergy meds so I can't smell anyways lol. However, I CAN be ok with throwing up, though I haven't in.. years since I was about 7 or 8. Depends on how its coming though. I can't handle to be super dizzy and about to throw up, I can't handle when i'm coughing so hard i'm about to throw up but I can handle if my stomach hurts. I have been at peace with wanting to throw up before, had dry heaves, but nothing came out, I sat on the bathroom floor begging to I was in so much paid but nothing. If I see it or hear it though from anyone else.. the image or sound will haunt me for years. Also can handle it if someone throws up but I don't have any awareness of it going on- if I can't hear, see, smell, it, but only if I know they won't again. I tried going to desensitizatoin therapy, hated hated hated it. Doctors treat me like a freak when I tell them that. It's gotten better in the aspect that I told my parents & they really try to support me and be conscious of what happens. What's gotten worse is that the panic attacks are much more severe. It's awful sometimes I just want to be "normal" & go to parties and not have to leave the second someone starts throwing up or be able to sleep through the night. Another thing thats gotten wrose is now sometimes I think I hear something & I start hallucinating the rest, I put my fingers in my ears and start breathing really hard so I cant hear then I think that I hear something, but really theres nothing there. It's awful. I don't know what to do I don't want to live my life like this but it just seems hopeless.
how has everyone here learned to cope? have you ever heard of anyone who was cured? I jsut can't imagine life being CURED... of this awful phobia!

Cindy21
01-24-2005, 05:33 AM
Me I am terrified of Flying!!!! hate it if I have to fly anywhere I have some nice drugs my mom gives me and I fall asleep.Another one is I've been a Hypocondriac my whole life...As soon as I hear about a disease,illness I think I have it. Headaches for me mean I have a tumour etc. and all this leads to my biggest fear or dying...EEEEKKK I can't even say the word it makes me get panicing......

Sweet_yet_sour
01-24-2005, 09:30 PM
...As soon as I hear about a disease,illness I think I have it. Headaches for me mean I have a tumour etc.

Lol, I've been told by family I'm like that, although I keep insisting that I'm realistic rather than a dooms-dayer.