PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever want to deal with skin cancer on lip again

sunshine123
01-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone: On Monday I had the Mohs surgery on my upper lip. It went well and there was no pain afterwards. Today I had the stitches put in. Now I know why the Dr. prescribed pain meds. About an hr. after I got home, the pain was terrible. I took a Tylenol/codeine and thankfully it worked. I have to ice my lip 30 minutes on/30 minutes off today. My upper lip is so swollen that it's almost covering the length of the upper teeth. I have braces on and I've had to change my Ortho appt. so many times b/c of this. I'm supposed to go next Thursday and I bet I'll have to cancel the appt. again due to the swelling and the fact that I can't open my mouth very much. I'm just so frustrated. Anyway, thanks for listening.

Belle2003
01-13-2005, 10:47 PM
I am sorry to hear about your lip skin cancer. How come you had stitches put in three days after your MOHS? Didn't they put the stitches in the day of the MOHS?

Well I hope that the healing process goes fast and that you are able to make your ortho appointment. In no time at all this will be all behind you.

seriousperson
01-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Oohh. Been there, done that. Thought it would never be okay again. I couldn't smile for a long time. A year later it's pretty much invisible.

But I felt really violated at the time.

Now, I've just finished a course of efudex cream for a spot just above the pink part of my lip. I soo much prefered it. Of course, I don't have the security of knowing "it's all gone" as I did with the MOHS. But then, if my skin cancer follows my dad's, I'll never really be done with it.

Hope your healing goes faster than mine. It should, I had my MOHS after my 50th birthday. It was on Halloween last year (the surgery, not the birthday). I briefly contemplated going house to house as the bride of Frankenstein. But I was too uncomfortable to go anywhere.

Let us know how you do.

sunshine123
01-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I was hoping he'd put the stitches in the same day too. I'm not really sure why he didn't. I haven't had any pain in the area since last night, so that's a good thing. He did a good job stitching it up. I'm just a bit swollen in the middle part of my upper lip. On Monday, he's going to remove some of the stitches. I hope that won't hurt too. But, it couldn't possibly be as painful as those lidocaine shots!!! I'm no spring chicken either (54). Unfortunately, I've inherited everything that my mother and father have/had.

seriousperson
01-15-2005, 10:41 AM
I had the stitches the same day and wound up with a scar on one of the 2 lines of stitching that fortunately is hidden in the crease of the bottom of a nostril.
It might just be the location (in direct line of exhaled breath), but the swelling increased so much after the stitches that they were really stretched with open gaps in-between them.
So I'm guessing that having the stitches after the swelling has peaked could be a good thing.
On the other hand, if the stitches were done after the swelling, I suppose there could be puckering when the swelling goes down if the stitches weren't removed soon enough--thinking of a garment that shrank in the wash but the stitches didn't.
I suppose it depends upon the nature of the location and patients facial structure, as well as the doctor's experiences.

Anyway, sunshine123, keep us posted if you can. With an upbeat screen name like yours, I trust you'll mend soon.

sunshine123
02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi everyone: Well, I thought my appt. on Monday would be the last for awhile. But, the Derm. said I have a fibroma(?) where the stitches are; that maybe one of the stitches from below is trying to come up. I wonder what I'm in store for at my appt. next week. Has anyone else had this? It's like a small lump one one side of the scar. The scar itself doesn't look bad.

Belle2003
02-03-2005, 07:50 PM
I believe that the doctor can give you a shot of cortisone in that spot and in a week or two it will slowly flatten.

sunshine123
02-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks Belle. I appreciate your response. Sue