PDA

View Full Version : Mole - Biopsy was Bowenoid Keratosis

newlife00
01-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi All,

Is anyone familiar with Bowenoid Keratosis result from a mole biopsy? My dermatologist explained that there were some cancer cells - (not all were Benign). I asked if could be considered Basil Cell and they said no - it was a bit more agressive. What in the world does this mean? In all of my literature it seems that there is Basil Cell, Squamous cell, and Melanoma. I know it is not Melanoma or Basil, but my doctor did not mention Squamous cell - any thoughts??

thanks!

Marimac
02-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Hi All,

Is anyone familiar with Bowenoid Keratosis result from a mole biopsy? My dermatologist explained that there were some cancer cells - (not all were Benign). I asked if could be considered Basil Cell and they said no - it was a bit more agressive. What in the world does this mean? In all of my literature it seems that there is Basil Cell, Squamous cell, and Melanoma. I know it is not Melanoma or Basil, but my doctor did not mention Squamous cell - any thoughts??

thanks!
That is a good question. Maybe it is a mix of basal cell and squamous cell or it could be a transitional cell carcinoma. I would be curious to know what s/he meant as well

BonBe
02-11-2005, 06:15 AM
Hi the best I can come up with is Under Solar Kerastosis which includes bowens disease (SCC in situ) and also Bowenoid Keratosis.

in the non malignant catagory. the article I read says that surgery is not the treatment of choice unless there is a DOUBT the lesion is of a SCC nature. They recommend and state the high rate of cure for all solar keratosis is through cryotherapy and it looks like a 'single freeze' will do the trick.

Take a deep breath and remember above all, to ask your doctor to explain in simpler terms. So many people get the wrong idea right from the get go, and it is hard so very hard to keep a level head.

I am glad you had the forsight to go and get that moley off.... though I never heard of bowenoid keratosis as being a mole.... I am learning daily I guess.

Keep up posted and it would be interesting to see what treatment (if any) after the removal of the bowenoid keritosis. I just 'googled' in that term and got a wealth of information.

Bonnie

newlife00
02-11-2005, 04:56 PM
First - Thank you Marimac and BonBe for your comments - it sure made me feel good that you took the time to do that :) - Today I went for a check up and all looks good - The doctor explained that unlike Basil Cell that penetrates the skin - all of the cancer cells on my mole (Bowenoid Keratosis) were on the surface. He was confident from the pathology report that he got everything since the deeper layers had no evidence of malignant cells. Whew, I feel really good about that.

**Now, I ask that anyone reading this, please pay close attention: I originally went to the Dermatologist because of a dry scalp situation, no intention at all to have moles looked at - but, if it was not for the doctor having interest in my "overall" history prior to walking into his office, we would have never taken a close look at my skin and moles - thus catching the "bad" one. I will now gladly do my monthly check up's to make sure I note any changes... I just thought I would pass this experience on... **

Take Care - and stay positive!