PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Black *** * - VERY scared.

frankw2k
02-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi, im 17 and I just noticed a very tiny dark black **** on the side of my hand... It is perfectly round, and very black and it is slightly raised. It doesnt feel like a scab.. I do go tanning alot (tanning bed)... but i have brown hair, brown eyes, and I'm not pale. Should I be worried? i noticed this thing on the side of my hand for about 2 weeks now...*** note it is small but very black. Is it skin canser? am i going to die im very scared please respond.

BonBe
02-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi

well as you know we are just a support board. You must go to your doctor to get any diagnosis. If you frequent tanning beds it is a proven thing that they are not safe at all.

First off seek advice from your own personal family physician. Or a clinic or even a referal from school health. The doctor can advise you and maybe set you up with a qualified dermatologist who specializes in this type thing.

My thoughts are to STOP immed going to tanning beds..... go to a doctor, and when you have seen the doctor and have been told what to do next, maybe we can be of more help.

Please go to the doctor..... you cannot just assume anything, nor can we.

BonBe

dennis-sj
02-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Don't worry. Melanoma is usually irregular in shape. Do an internet search on the ABCD's of melanoma. Most cases of melanoma that cause death have been growing for months or years. My friend recently had a quite large spot removed from his arm. He had noticed its strange appearance for almost a year and it came nowhere near metastasizing. If I were you I would just observe it and bring it up with your doctor in your yearly physical. Your chance of death at this stage is somewhere around 0% even if you wait. This is just my opinion and I'm not a doctor.

BonBe
02-15-2005, 03:31 AM
yes, I myself kept putting off asking about a ugly huge mole that 'changed' and even the doctors did not think much of it, then after the excisional biopsy results were in wham I was dealt a horrid blow.

Looking at a changing mole is scary no doubt.... but we all must be vigilant and if you are scared then get it checked out.

Bonbe

bluster
02-16-2005, 07:42 AM
This is my personal opinion....

STOP TANNING....

I am 54 and I have tanned for 40 years. Biggest mistake of my life.

My skin has so much sun damage, you wouldn't believe it.

Melanoma is an UGLY disease.

There are other ways to look attractive, other than having a tan.

Go have the black spots biopsied, and have the doc checkout the rest of your skin.

Bill... (Stage IIB Melanoma removed, currently on 1-year low-dose Interferron, no known mestasatis)...

BonBe
02-16-2005, 08:03 AM
YES Bill could not have stated it any better.

Tanning Beds are now on the 'open forum' Why on earth we chose to tan is beyond me, and I know we are all guilty of it.

I myself never tanned, always turned into a giant freckle and burned. I am also 54 and had a couple of burns on my shoulders from when I was kid, and now I have melanoma. It is really not a fun time.

If you have managed to escape MM then you should now and forever cease to try to have that tanned appearance. I think a healthy natural glow which comes from within is far more attractive.

BonBe

Candy88186
03-28-2005, 06:12 PM
I would go have the spot removed...I had a spot behind my knee just like that, completely round a little bigger than a pin head...The dermatologist didn't think it was anything but said if you will feel better I will take it off. It turned out to be melanoma.
You know Melanoma is curable when caught in the early stages...

Sustasha
04-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Yes; by all means go to the doctor / dermatologist. I suntanned until I was as dark as I could get from ages 17 to about 39. One day when I was 39 and laying in the sun I looked at my arms and BLACK SPOTS WERE ON THEM. I have never heard of such a thing. I ran indoors and that was the End of my sunbaths. The black spots went away fast but left little tan spots.
Still, I got a black and bloody, oozing bump on my chest and had it biopsied.
Basal cell carcinoma. It's just a tiny, faint white area now. Then I got a white bump on my nose and had that removed.
Today at 61 I put Neutrogena tanning cream on my face and arms, period.
It looks really nice. My legs have sun damage; they look pretty bad PLUS they have red/blue spider veins that are just as ugly so I never wear shorts. Not sure I should wear them at 61 anyway. lol For some reason my face was spared much damage :) and I take care of my face nightly.