PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have gotten shave biopsies

FearfuL
02-25-2005, 01:42 PM
I know there are a few peeps here who have gotten shave biopsies and they've come back benign.

Just wondering if you've had any problems with your scars? Has the pigment from the mole grown back in?

Also, if you can remember it, when your path reports came back, what was your diagnosis? (compound nevus etc.)

And what are the chances of an ok shaved lesion returning as malignant?

TampaSal51
02-27-2005, 03:40 PM
I have had a few shaved biopsies. My first came back positive for basal cell and I had that removed. The other three were more recent. Two came back negative and one came back atypical. I opted not to have the atypical one surgically removed. It was a mole on my belly and decided to just watch it. I have to go back in 3 months for a checkup and at that time I will have it surgically removed. I just could not stand the thought of more cutting just now. I asked the doctor what I should be looking for and his reply was, any change, especially pigmentation coming back. So, if you have had a shave biopsy and you show pigmentation coming back, get back to the doctor and have it removed. Better to be safe than sorry.

BTW, I can't remember what the results were on the benign ones were.

Best of luck to you.

irisrose
02-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Well, I've had a couple shave biopsies. The first was for a mole that kept getting a dry surface, sloughing off and then looking like a dark mole. I only saw a general practitioner for that and he shaved it all off. It came back benign and no pigment has ever reoccured in that area. My most recent was such a minescule amount that I don't think any pigment was removed. Just the top layer of cells. The pigment (mole) is still very visible. No path report back on this one yet. But it looks exactly the same as when I went in. That's how little was taken off. Just to check cells, not remove the mole by shave biopsy. Which, you already know from my other post, was not what I requested.

Feel free to come here to ask your questions. I've found this site very informative. I'm really glad I found it!

FearfuL
03-01-2005, 09:49 AM
TampaSal, a couple of derms have actually told me that pigment could come back with any shave. But they made it seem as if that's not something to be concerned over if it does. Do you think this concern of pigment regrowth is only for moles that are atypical?

And iris, how long ago was your first mole shaved off?

TampaSal51
03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure if it's just for atypical ones, but, believe me, if any of my shaved off ones show signs of re-pigmentation, I'm off the doctor to have them completely removed. I've read enough about melanoma (too much, I'm sure) to know that I don't want to take any chances what so ever!

Sally

irisrose
03-02-2005, 08:02 AM
My first shave biopsy was back in 1998. All that's left is the scar where it was shaved off.

FearfuL
03-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Alright, ladies, maybe you can help me out further. It's impossible to talk with a medical assistant over the phone at my derm's office anyway.

What is 'normal' healing? My shave biopsy was on my chest and it's been 2 weeks now.

There's a bit of red around the wound and the wound itself is still pigmented. There's a little tint of yellow as well, but it's not liquid like a pus.

Does this sound somewhat normal? One derm looked at it on Thursday and didn't say a thing about it looking bad. Matter of fact, he said to keep doign what I've been doing. But another derm yesterday seemed to think it may be infected because of the yellow. Who am I supposed to believe?

irisrose
03-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Gosh, I don't know. Have you tried dabbing peroxide on it? Maybe there is a little infection going on and keeping it clean and sterile might help it to heal up. I honestly can't remember how long it took mine to heal up, but if it was out of the ordinary, I think I would have remembered. And my doc. shaved off a good piece of skin. The pigment might be there because they didn't really remove the mole, but biopsied some of it. Irritating, isn't it? You think it's being removed, but it's just being "checked".

Anyway, try cleaning it with some peroxide for a day or two and see if it starts to heal and dry out.

Good luck.

FearfuL
03-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Yeah, that would be irritating. I know you're going through that yourself with the foot, iris!

I'm pretty sure the derm took a good piece though; the wound is slightly indented. The pigment isn't the same as the mole; it's a reddish looking color with a wee bit of yellowish. I've heard that the wounds usually become red then scab off, but I don't know.

I've been putting antibiotic ointment for 2 weeks already so I can't understand how it got infected if it is. I'll see how it progresses, thanks!

Belle2003
03-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Have you tried just putting peroxide on it only and then letting it dry out? This way it will form a scab of sorts. When you continually put an ointment on it, it stays moist and it takes longer to form a scab. The yellow could be it trying to form a scab.

You can always put a bandaid on it to protect it from your clothing. For me my shave biospy was above all of my tops, so I had to wear a bandaid so it would not gross everyone out. It was about the size of a nickle. My scar turned pink and over the next two months a keloid formed. I don't know what looked worse, a dime size, brown, flat mole or the nickel size pink buldge. At least makeup covered up the pink.

If you think back to when you were a kid and banged up your knee, it took at least a month for the healing process to be over. So let your wound dry out and form a scab. Try to keep that scab on for as long as possible.

FearfuL
03-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Belle, I've let it out to dry and now it does it appear to look better actually.

It looks scabby, like a crust. Kinda light brownish now...